Help required for Leica M4 with suspicious colors

Posted (edited)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi, i would appreciate help in stating if this Leica M4 camera is legit or scam . My doubts come from the strange color combination on the camera since its black but with silver features. What is your opinion, should i trust the vendor ? (The guy from which i am buying told me that he bought it from a guy who oredered it from Leica, and in response to the question about the speed dial, he told me that it could be easily customized for 100 $ which I think is true )

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by whyn0

If I recognize the serial number correctly, the camera is from this series: 1185301 - 1195000 Leica M4 1968-69. The series was silver chrome plated. So the camera was later painted black.
This is fine if it is communicated that way and is not passed off as original.
I have a camera like that myself. I got it as a wreck and had it completely overhauled. It's now a nice M4 in black lacquer that you can also use. However, there are differences in the paintwork. Sometimes people tried to simply paint over the silver chrome plating. That's botch. The results are only good and durable if everything has been completely dechromed. Good workshops will also correct scratches and small dents before painting.

• Like 2

My guess is that it's chrome underneath the paint so it's going to look awful when it starts to wear. It could be just a bright highlight but is that a chip with chrome showing through on the corner near the rewind crank?  

• Like 3

6 hours ago, whyn0 said:

Thank you everybody for your kind help :) , I will take all the information in consideration !

It's not 'just' a chrome underneath the paint issue, but paint won't stick to chrome, so at most it is a temporary decorative finish.