Took My Son Bowling

tappan

Advertisement (gone after registration)

M10-P
35mm FLE Summilux not the newest version
My son Leo bowling.
1/160th at F2
3200 ISO

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 17

Great picture! Moment and atmosphere well catched.

I envy you! The M10-P is so much better than my M9 at high ISO.
With the M9, I really have to take care in low light to use a setting just high enough and not too much.

If I may add one remark it is this... It looks like this could also have been shot at ISO 800 or even 400 in stead of 3200.

First, I would have chosen 1/60 in stead of 1/160 shutter time. 1/60 is usually enough to freeze people's motion.
At 1/60  the same exposure could be done at ISO 800, then half a stop lifting of the shadows would be enough. Works great when shooting RAW.
I am not sure if shooting at ISO 400 would help.

To get the most out of my M9, this is a typical situation where I shoot it at base ISO 160 (RAW), no matter what in manual mode.
The shutter time is set as long as needed to freeze motion, like 1/30 or 1/60. Then I rely on PP to pull up exposure, up to 3 stops and sometimes even more in the shadows, so equivalent to ISO 1280.

Of course this would work even better on the M10-P,  shoot base ISO 200 at 1/60 and pull up. The nice thing about this technique is that it helps keeping bright light sources in the background from clipping. The downside is that you can not easily review images in camera, because they are underexposed so much.

4 hours ago, dpitt said:

Great picture! Moment and atmosphere well catched.

I envy you! The M10-P is so much better than my M9 at high ISO.
With the M9, I really have to take care in low light to use a setting just high enough and not too much.

If I may add one remark it is this... It looks like this could also have been shot at ISO 800 or even 400 in stead of 3200.

First, I would have chosen 1/60 in stead of 1/160 shutter time. 1/60 is usually enough to freeze people's motion.
At 1/60  the same exposure could be done at ISO 800, then half a stop lifting of the shadows would be enough. Works great when shooting RAW.
I am not sure if shooting at ISO 400 would help.

To get the most out of my M9, this is a typical situation where I shoot it at base ISO 160 (RAW), no matter what in manual mode.
The shutter time is set as long as needed to freeze motion, like 1/30 or 1/60. Then I rely on PP to pull up exposure, up to 3 stops and sometimes even more in the shadows, so equivalent to ISO 1280.

Of course this would work even better on the M10-P,  shoot base ISO 200 at 1/60 and pull up. The nice thing about this technique is that it helps keeping bright light sources in the background from clipping. The downside is that you can not easily review images in camera, because they are underexposed so much.

Thank you for your thoughts. I also have an M9-P. I love it. My son was moving so (excitedly) fast throughout our bowling experience that I had to choose the higher shutter. This was one of the few times where he stood still 🙂
Mark

• Like 2

5 hours ago, tappan said:

Thank you for your thoughts. I also have an M9-P. I love it. My son was moving so (excitedly) fast throughout our bowling experience that I had to choose the higher shutter. This was one of the few times where he stood still 🙂
Mark

Thanks for clarifying.
I would be very much interested on the pro's and con's of your M9-P vs the M10 from a user that has both.

My thought is that I want to upgrade to an M10 when there is an opportunity. But, given the hype of the M9, it seems best if I can keep the M9 and use them side by side before I dare to sell it. My options are either to sell my (also) dear M8 and keep M9 + M10 which would still stretch my budget, or keep the M8 + M10, and sell the M9 which seems to be the more sensible thing to do.

56 minutes ago, dpitt said:

Thanks for clarifying.
I would be very much interested on the pro's and con's of your M9-P vs the M10 from a user that has both.

My thought is that I want to upgrade to an M10 when there is an opportunity. But, given the hype of the M9, it seems best if I can keep the M9 and use them side by side before I dare to sell it. My options are either to sell my (also) dear M8 and keep M9 + M10 which would still stretch my budget, or keep the M8 + M10, and sell the M9 which seems to be the more sensible thing to do.

If you keep the M8 and pair of with the M10M, you'll have the same problem of having to switch out filters (UV/IR) when using the same lenses on each camera (unless you shoot only b&w). There are a lot of people on this forum, myself included, who regret not keeping their M9M. It's the last time we'll ever see a full frame CCD sensor. 

4 hours ago, fotografr said:

If you keep the M8 and pair of with the M10M, you'll have the same problem of having to switch out filters (UV/IR) when using the same lenses on each camera (unless you shoot only b&w). There are a lot of people on this forum, myself included, who regret not keeping their M9M. It's the last time we'll ever see a full frame CCD sensor. 

My dilemma is between the M10 + M8 and M10 + M9, so both are color camera's.
Both could work with the same UV/IR mounted AFAIK, but of course on the M10, the IR part if the filter is overkill.

Because of the crop factor, chances are that I will not use the same lenses when I take both bodies with me.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dpitt said:

Thanks for clarifying.

If I may say so....
KEEP the M9!!!
You will regret selling it, in my opinion. I have thoughts regarding my owning both an M10-P and an M9-P.
The M9-P has such a nice rendering! I shoot raw. The image out of camera comes up so nice, so very pleasing in photoshop. I rarely have to work more than a few minutes to tone and size. The camera, though, can't be used in all situations. If your situation has enough light. If you are in so much control of the photo shoot and you can be slow and deliberate, then you are ok with the M9. Anything else the M10 is your camera.
Good luck.
Mark

• Thanks 1