Q3 Focus Ring Lock

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On my Q3, the focus ring will not lock into the AF position.  This happened almost within a week of owning the camera.  I took it to the Leica Store in LA and they told me I must have broken the lock by turning it too hard without pushing the button on the lens.  I suppose this is possible (although it must be a very cheap mechanism, I don't usually force things in may cameras).  I was told I'd have to send it in to Leica and they would have to disassemble the camera, etc.  The ring turns freely without resistance so it's easy to use in manual.  But when I want to use AF, I really have to be mindful that the ring is turned into place.  

As much as I would like to have this fixed, I know I will be without the camera for 6-8 weeks (based on experience with Leica repair).  Also, how much will this repair cost?  Has anyone had this issue?  Did you have it repaired?  Is it possible this is a faulty unit and it would be covered under warrantee?  Thanks for your feedback. 

Edited by LACANYONHIKER

43 minutes ago, LACANYONHIKER said:

On my Q3, the focus ring will not lock into the AF position.  This happened almost within a week of owning the camera.  I took it to the Leica Store in LA and they told me I must have broken the lock by turning it too hard without pushing the button on the lens.  I suppose this is possible (although it must be a very cheap mechanism, I don't usually force things in may cameras).  I was told I'd have to send it in to Leica and they would have to disassemble the camera, etc.  The ring turns freely without resistance so it's easy to use in manual.  But when I want to use AF, I really have to be mindful that the ring is turned into place.  

As much as I would like to have this fixed, I know I will be without the camera for 6-8 weeks (based on experience with Leica repair).  Also, how much will this repair cost?  Has anyone had this issue?  Did you have it repaired?  Is it possible this is a faulty unit and it would be covered under warrantee?  Thanks for your feedback. 

Hmmm…as a Leica dealer I would never presume to tell someone they ‘must have broken it’.  It is up to the service department to determine whether it was faulty or possibly forced.

If it happened as described I’d definitely be speaking to the manager about this salesperson’s attitude.

That said I’d send it in.   At the least it is inconvenient.   At the worst it is a harbinger of a more serious issue.

1 hour ago, bobtodrick said:

Hmmm…as a Leica dealer I would never presume to tell someone they ‘must have broken it’.  It is up to the service department to determine whether it was faulty or possibly forced.

If it happened as described I’d definitely be speaking to the manager about this salesperson’s attitude.

That said I’d send it in.   At the least it is inconvenient.   At the worst it is a harbinger of a more serious issue.

Thanks for your response.  I definitely hear what you are saying. I do have a very positive  history with this salesperson, so I wasn't offended.  His advice was the same... send it in and they will determine.  I need the camera for an upcoming trip to Cambodia in February.  I will probably send it in when I get back. I am anxious about the potential cost of this repair. 

5 minutes ago, LACANYONHIKER said:

Thanks for your response.  I definitely hear what you are saying. I do have a very positive  history with this salesperson, so I wasn't offended.  His advice was the same... send it in and they will determine.  I need the camera for an upcoming trip to Cambodia in February.  I will probably send it in when I get back. I am anxious about the potential cost of this repair. 

I’m baffled, you buy a Leica and worry about repair costs, if your are pro then repairs/costs are part of life, if an amateur and holidaying in remote locations you are obviously not on the breadline. 🍻

9 minutes ago, thegobi said:

People come by Leicas in many ways--please stop with the "all Leica owners are just rich people" stereotypes.
..besides no one wants an unexpected repair...

Why are you running interference? Whether a gift or bought on the black market- Leica spares, repairs etc. are costly.

🍻

Advertisement (gone after registration)

20 minutes ago, Indeepthought said:

I’m baffled, you buy a Leica and worry about repair costs, if your are pro then repairs/costs are part of life, if an amateur and holidaying in remote locations you are obviously not on the breadline. 🍻

1 minute ago, Indeepthought said:

Why are you running interference? Whether a gift or bought on the black market- Leica spares, repairs etc. are costly.

🍻

🍻

🍻

I am not exactly sure what the point or purpose of your response to my post is. But please keep your judgments about my financial anxieties to yourself.
If you have experience with the problem I am presenting then please offer helpful advice. Your commentary on how or why I own a Leica or what my lifestyle is like, is completely off point and unnecessary.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LACANYONHIKER said:

I am not exactly sure what the point or purpose of your response to my post is. But please keep your judgments about my financial anxieties to yourself.
If you have experience with the problem I am presenting then please offer helpful advice. Your commentary on how or why I own a Leica or what my lifestyle is like, is completely off point and unnecessary.  

If you have financial anxiety, then that’s yours to own. As to your lifestyle, once again that’s yours to own. My comments are a generalization of Leica ownership, it’s costly when Leica repairs/spares or accessories are involved..  HAGD 🍻

47 minutes ago, Indeepthought said:

If you have financial anxiety, then that’s yours to own. As to your lifestyle, once again that’s yours to own. My comments are a generalization of Leica ownership, it’s costly when Leica repairs/spares or accessories are involved..  HAGD 🍻

My apologies if I misinterpreted your comment...  but...

"I’m baffled, you buy a Leica and worry about repair costs,"

" if an amateur and holidaying in remote locations you are obviously not on the breadline. "

...and this one seems pretty cut and dry insulting to anyone...

Please consider how you reacted to the comments of others and understand how others may have reacted to yours.  🙂

Edited by thegobi

1 hour ago, LACANYONHIKER said:

Does it inhibit the use of the camera? Can you take it with and worry about the repair later? Was wondering if it goes to autofocus, but just doesn't lock :(

11 minutes ago, thegobi said:

My apologies if I misinterpreted your comment...  but...

"I’m baffled, you buy a Leica and worry about repair costs,"

" if an amateur and holidaying in remote locations you are obviously not on the breadline. "

...and this one seems pretty cut and dry insulting to anyone...

Please consider how you reacted to the comments of others and understand how others may have reacted to yours.  🙂

Ok

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Indeepthought said:

🙄

3 hours ago, thegobi said:

I would think it would take considerable force to break the lock -- I would be more suspicious that it was a fault and covered by warranty :)

Yes, the cameras totally usable. In fact it is great. It’s just the focus ring does not lock in the AF position. But it’s still auto focuses when the ring is pushed all the way to the end.  I will probably take it in after my trip.  Thanks for your comments.  

13 hours ago, LACANYONHIKER said:

Yes, the cameras totally usable. In fact it is great. It’s just the focus ring does not lock in the AF position. But it’s still auto focuses when the ring is pushed all the way to the end.  I will probably take it in after my trip.  Thanks for your comments.  

Without all the comments above………

I would send a nice email to Leica Germany explaining what happened and see what their response is. Generally they take care of cameras that are as new as yours is.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, jdlaing said:

I would send a nice email to Leica Germany explaining what happened and see what their response is. Generally they take care of cameras that are as new as yours is.

23 minutes ago, jdlaing said:

Thank you, I am going to call Leica Customer Support today. 

20 hours ago, bobtodrick said:

@LACANYONHIKER You have a positive history with the sales person, and (I would think) with Leica Store LA.  If you send your Q3 in for a warranty repair and it is not back by the time you leave for Cambodia, I would think Leica Store LA would be willing to let you use a rental or demo Q3 from their store.  It would be worth asking them, and making sure that this is an option before sending your Q3 off for repair.

• Like 1

Thank you Herr Barnack.  Good news, I just spoke with Leica Support, they were great.  He indicated me that this would likely be a warrantee repair since the camera is so new.  I'll ask about a loaner.  

• Like 1