Fastest af lens i L-mount

helged

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Since Lumix S5ii has upped the cAF quite some bit compared to existing L-mount bodies, and since similar technology/processing/sensor architecture can be expected in forthcoming L-houses (if not in all, at least in several/many) - it would be interesting to see what the cAF in L-mount is up to. In my case for photography, not video. Clearly, the body has to do it's job (presently represented by S5ii), but I imagine that the type of AF-motor, as well as the construction of the lens elements involved in the focussing, are also part of the equation.

So what do you say - are there L-mount lenses that have particularly fast - and accurate - AF for still photography? Sigma 60-600? Sigma 70-200? Some of the Lumix lenses? I wouldn't think that the Leica SL primes are the most speedy ones, but I can be wrong.

Personally, I had a S5ii for a few days testing a little back in time. Clearly superior cAF performance compared to SL2/SL2-S, but I have limited experience with L-mount lenses except some of the SL-primes (and SL24-90). S5ii with SL50Lux had quite decent cAF, actually, but I expect some of the Sigma lenses to have faster AF.

• Like 1

I have no direct experience with the S5ii, but from what I’ve read, the Panasonic cameras do best with the Panasonic lenses, consistently. I did own a S5 and I did find the Lumix  lenses to be the best match, with the Sigma C lenses very close behind. I too would be interested to learn if certain lenses are considered better than others, autofocus-wise, with the newer camera.

Edited by oldwino
  • Thanks 1

The Panasonic S-PRO 50mm 1.4. Insanely fast, accurate, and silent. 

From my personal experience: It's faster than the Sigma 85mm DG DN, Panasonic 35,50, 85mm,  Leica 75mm APO, and faster than the Leica 24-90, 90-280, & Panasonic 24-70 & 70-200. 

I wish they had continued the series and made a 35 or 28mm.

Edited by Geoff C. Bassett
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/12/2024 at 5:58 PM, helged said:

I see there are some fine examples here with Lumix 85mm and Sigma 150-600, see link below. 

The new Sigma 70-200 f2.8 is claimed to have fast af, would be interesting to learn about experiences with this lens (the Sigma DG DN 70-200)! 

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4716361?page=2

Having used many L mount lenses, from Panasonic, Leica and Sigma, my experience so far with the 70-200 DG DN tells me this is by far the fastest reliable sticky autofocus I have experienced, on the S52.  With runners/dogs, they can go out of sight but the lens will pick them up again, and find the subject in busy backgrounds.  I haven't tried the lens on a Leica body, other than the CL for stills type stuff, but I think we all agree for action photography SL2 needs an upgrade, this reviewer is very happy with the Sigma on his though.

I've tried among others the Sigma 100-400, the Panasonic 70-200 F/4 and the Pan 70-300, this new lens is much more likely to keep up with the action, in a burst you get more keepers.  I'm just talking sports and action, honestly I think for still photography you can take your pick, but I would put the SL Apo Primes at the slow end, but the best image quality to my eye.   

Just picked these off my hard drive quickly but loads of examples in my Flickr stream.   The runners went completely out of sight in the dip but the Sigma locked on as soon as they appeared, found the squirrels eye immediately in the busy bushes.  

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Boojay said:

Having used many L mount lenses, from Panasonic, Leica and Sigma, my experience so far with the 70-200 DG DN tells me this is by far the fastest reliable sticky autofocus I have experienced, on the S52.  With runners/dogs, they can go out of sight but the lens will pick them up again, and find the subject in busy backgrounds.  I haven't tried the lens on a Leica body, other than the CL for stills type stuff, but I think we all agree for action photography SL2 needs an upgrade, this reviewer is very happy with the Sigma on his though.

I've tried among others the Sigma 100-400, the Panasonic 70-200 F/4 and the Pan 70-300, this new lens is much more likely to keep up with the action, in a burst you get more keepers.  I'm just talking sports and action, honestly I think for still photography you can take your pick, but I would put the SL Apo Primes at the slow end, but the best image quality to my eye.   

Just picked these off my hard drive quickly but loads of examples in my Flickr stream.   The runners went completely out of sight in the dip but the Sigma locked on as soon as they appeared, found the squirrels eye immediately in the busy bushes.  

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Thanks a lot - good news for the 70-200 DG DN! Presently, S5ii is the body to use, but other bodies from Panasonic, Leica and likely Sigma will come with Phase Detect as part of the AF machinery. This is good - as well as needed.

Presently, I use Canon R5 for fast, reliable AF tracking, but for practical reasons, I would prefer to stick to the L-mount system.

The L-mount AF system doesn't have to be the 'best', fastest, most realible out there, but it needs to be substantially better than at present (with the exception of S5ii). 

Edited by helged
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I loved the output from my SL2-S.  The reason I sold it was the cAF just couldn’t keep up.  I’ve been anxiously waiting for the SL3-x.  When the S5ii dropped to $1750 INCLUDING the S 50mm f/2.0, I jumped in.  I figured the SL3 is going to go up SOME amount AND it will probably be a year before mere mortals get a chance to purchase.  So, why not?

• Like 1

On 1/13/2024 at 3:11 AM, Geoff C. Bassett said:

The Panasonic S-PRO 50mm 1.4. Insanely fast, accurate, and silent. 

From my personal experience: It's faster than the Sigma 85mm DG DN, Panasonic 35,50, 85mm,  Leica 75mm APO, and faster than the Leica 24-90, 90-280, & Panasonic 24-70 & 70-200. 

I wish they had continued the series and made a 35 or 28mm.

I wish I had known this before, as there was a very well priced secondhand 50 Pro sitting at the local dealer for almost two years, but I was of two minds about whether to get it. It sold last week and now I'm disappointed, haha. I have the Panasonic 50/1.8 and it is slower to focus with the original S5 than the Olympus 25mm f1.2 Pro on the original Panasonic G9. I rely on 50mm for a lot of work, and having a really fast, accurate 50 for the S5 would be great.

• Like 1