TL2 (new to me) - Left dial set up - tried past posts (and then some)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

OK… New to Leica - and ridiculously excited.  I sat on my laurels when the TL2 and the 18mm was on close-out (ugh)….  As time went by, never quite had the budget/focus for the red dot - something always took precedence  - but did manage to buy a poor man's SL (Panasonic S1).  Have an RX1 (and even the dinosaur R1), but there has always been a faint tickle in the back of my throat….  I’m off-loading my Fuji gear this winter and likely a candidate for either a SL2S or original if the price Is right.  I love the S1 - but good heavens, I think you could initiate a hostile takeover from it…. I’ve had the TL2 for all of a few days - and seemingly have not put it down.

Already shopping for the Visoflex (020) - as I see on here some manage to shoot vintage / manual only on the T - something I am likely to be infected with in the near future - with only my idiocy standing in the way…. So away with the gushing over it and onto the issue...

I can and do get peaking (non-zoomed) with manual (non-native - in this case a Voigtlander).  I do NOT get magnification, and for the live of me cannot set the left dial...

I can and do get both peaking and magnification with native lenses (in this case the sig DG DN 105, the Panasonic 20-60, the Panasonic 50, and even - with the help of a third hand - the Sig DG DN 100-400 in its ridiculous length).

What I've tried...

I’ve set a profile and saved - then loaded - and didn’t make a difference.

I’ve made the ‘magic’ six choices, set, and then nothing - I seem to be missing the “FN” screen.  I’ve followed other threads and tried turning it off at certain points - turned off and on  - to nothing.

I’ve can video the steps - but suffice to say that no matter what I try or do - once I set the six options (with peaking/magnification as one opting) - it exits back to the general menu (with the left dial square) - and no way to actually set the function of the left dial (FN screen), regardless of where I go from there or how I go from there (either backing out, or hitting the camera menu - middle option on the right, turning it off and back on, etc) - in all cases once back on the main screen (take picture)  - and turn the left dial - it simply shows an “F” in the square and then red on the corners of it - but doesn’t actually affect anything.  I can press (touch) the “F” box - but nothing happens…

I have tried the 'trick' from the linked forum below (DPr) and turned it off at every step - didn't make a difference...

The videos are rudimentary - I'm NOT a video guy at all - iPhone leaned on a tripod - so forgive the fact I cannot even combine them very well...

Two questions…

First - I’ll take any advice.  In the future I will be here asking advice regularly - but this is a BIGGY - vintage is half the fun - and I bought this to be able to drag out and about - as the S1 (and perhaps an SL in the near future) is NOT stealthy nor easily carried...

Second (GUESS): is it possible to reload the firmware - I’m on 1.5 - perhaps something wasn’t perfect with the previous owner’s upgrade - simply a thought…

Appreciate everyone’s time.

For reference I have reviewed:

https://www.reddotforum.com/content/2018/06/firmware-ver-1-4-for-leica-tl2-released/

It is the SIXTH screen that doesn’t come up (titled FN - where the assignment of the left dial actually happens).

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/301142-focus-aid-magnification-on-tl2-with-m-adapter-l/

I’ve followed the post by Kim Dahl (#5) to no resolve.

I’ve also tried creating a profile and saving - didn’t work either.

Have done the On/Off as shown here...

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4729846

I am hoping I’m an idiot and it’s something simple - or even needs reset reloaded - as I’ve lusted after this camera - but seemingly something else always got in the way.  Now that I have it - would like to bombard it with my collection of vintage and play (post purchase of visoflex typ 020 - old guy squinting)…

Any help would be appreciated.

Since the upload doesn't allow >2.44mb - I linked to OneDrive for the two videos - one with a Panasonic 50/1.8 -  where peaking and magnification work - but not on the left dial, and the second with a Sig 28mm showing peaking but no magnification.

I don't have a stand for my iPhone so the video isn't great (leaned against tripod) - but should show I'm not nuts...  I did cut the videos down to 480 for size/download speed.

Video 1 & 2 here:

TL2video

My setup for non native lenses is to use Shutter priority as a proxy for full manual exposure; this sets up the right hand dial as shutter speed.

If you turn the left dial and press the left popup box that is now highlighted in red, you will be able to assign Focus Aid to the left dial.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by FrozenInTime

OK...   (feeling a bit idiotic) - I do have it in "A" (Aperture Priority) and "S" (Shutter Priority), just not in Manual...

FIRST - as far as I can see - problem solved (and Visoflex on order shortly)...  

In all the readings I did (how much I actually absorbed - who knows), swore I saw that it can be set in the "M" or Manual mode - but that may just be my mind playing tricks on me.   Do I loose anything being in Shutter Priority?  Seems I can still set my ISO and EV (exposure compensation)....  Asked in the tone of a newbie with too much exposure to non-Leica...

Is it normal that you cannot set the left dial in Manual Mode?

I have many more questions for those who are wiser than I, but I will start new threads - as having recently come off a bender of chasing this through the forums - and watching one topic getting hijacked to another -  Keep this one on point, as I hope this fixes for the next drooling newbie to the Leica realm via a TL2...

Not being idiotic in the least; the programming seems to be deliberately written with a strong bias towards AF TL lenses for example Manual mode always assumes a TL native lens, where the left dial would be used to set the aperture. On non-native lenses without electronic contacts there is no way of operating the aperture.

It took me a while to find my way through the frustrating roadblocks.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

To nail the exposure in Shutter priority, you will want to have the histogram displayed; press INFO until it appears.

P mode also works, as you would expect Aperture priority to work. I have the top panel FN button set for exposure compensation.

• Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

In case of the TL2, the user manual is lacking. Firmware seems to have evolved and the manual has not been updated. With manual focus/aperture lenses and with the EVF, there are some possible settings that make no sense or that will get the user stuck. Like using M mode with manual lenses does not really work.

I have my left dial button set up to bring up focus magnification aid, because I need that a lot with MF lenses. The Focus peaking is not accurate enough for critical focus. Store this setting in a profile because the camera will reset the default profile to standard settings when turning ON/OFF.

I usually use the A mode with my M and R lenses. Set your aperture on the lens and exposure will follow. The S setting seems to work best for full manual mode (and not the M mode because that only works with TL /AF lenses)

When you use the EVF, some other pitfalls get into the picture. For example, I like to work in EVF only mode, but then there is no way to access the menu or touch screen, which can be needed e.g. for reviewing your pictures in play mode. Removing the EVF always works. But now I found that it is best to set the FN button to bring up the MENU. This will allow you to switch profiles, so you can get out of EVF only mode without removing the EVF. It also allows for most functions to be accessed/changed without leaving the EVF ony profile.

My hope was that Leica would release a final full proof firmware version for the TL2, but they are not very good in the software department, and we will have to cope because they now have shut down the TL line completely. This looks stupid to me, because there is a lot of potential here. Maybe too much potential, like with the original CL eating up sales of the more expensive options. I just hope that Leica is cooking up something new in L mount to fill the gap. A FF compact range with L mount and either external EVF or built in EVF would be worth waiting for...

Much appreciation... I've only taken about 200 shots of the same damned Xmas ornament with no less than 20 different lenses...   The look on my wife's face tells the whole story - child with a new toy...

I have further questions for the collection of wealth here - forthcoming in different threads...

Now back to my trial & error...   Lens 21 (LOL)...

• Haha 1

OH and just to RECAP..

IF you have a TL2 and you want to shoot vintage lenses that are NOT NATIVE  L-Mount - and you came from any of the non-Leica brands where the PASM - the "M" you would use for vintage, non-native - IT DOES NOT WORK LIKE THAT HERE.

On the dark side (non-Leica - I can NOW say that, I've been a proud owner who had proven his ignorance on this side in the first days of ownership) that "M" might mean "MANUAL" that normally (on the dark side) would suggest settings are all manual - HERE it means I'm going to use my NATIVE lens, MANUALLY - and thereby if you are cheap like me and throwing a Helios on there - you need to be in "S" for the setup of the left dial - peaking/magnification to work...    

The focus aid of peaking plus magnification can be set to the LEFT dial - just set the camera in "S" or 'shutter priority' mode and then follow all the other instructions (it really was just that simple)...  

Hopefully I can save someone hours of reading with this...

On 12/27/2023 at 10:24 PM, FrozenInTime said:

Not being idiotic in the least; the programming seems to be deliberately written with a strong bias towards AF TL lenses for example Manual mode always assumes a TL native lens, where the left dial would be used to set the aperture. On non-native lenses without electronic contacts there is no way of operating the aperture.

It took me a while to find my way through the frustrating roadblocks.

To nail the exposure in Shutter priority, you will want to have the histogram displayed; press INFO until it appears.

P mode also works, as you would expect Aperture priority to work. I have the top panel FN button set for exposure compensation.

I made a mistake in writing this: the live histogram does not function correctly in Shutter priority mode with non-native lenses; you should review the captured jpeg's histogram.

On 12/28/2023 at 7:48 AM, AdjusterBrett said:

On the dark side (non-Leica - I can NOW say that, I've been a proud owner who had proven his ignorance on this side in the first days of ownership) that "M" might mean "MANUAL" that normally (on the dark side) would suggest settings are all manual - HERE it means I'm going to use my NATIVE lens, MANUALLY - and thereby if you are cheap like me and throwing a Helios on there - you need to be in "S" for the setup of the left dial - peaking/magnification to work...    

The focus aid of peaking plus magnification can be set to the LEFT dial - just set the camera in "S" or 'shutter priority' mode and then follow all the other instructions (it really was just that simple)...  

Hopefully I can save someone hours of reading with this...

Yes it can. But I need the left dial to bring up focus manification when using EVF only mode. And in EVF only mode there is no way to change the left dial function. Proof again that the TL2 firmware is written with AF and full use of the back screen in mind. When you throw in EVF and the MF lenses, you can get stuck. It is as if they developed this whole thing with native lenses and back screen only. Then someone came up with the bright idea to provide a M-L adapter and an external view finder, without revisiting the use cases their software was written for 🙂. It requires some creative thinking to get around these quirks sometimes.

For me the TL2 IQ makes up for all this, but I would have expected all this could have been ironed out after 5 years of updates. No hope for that anymore since Leica canceled the complete APS-C product line.

The T range is the only camera line from Leica that feels this 'unfinished/experimental' on the software side. Even the M8 and DMR where full(fool) proof from the start. They are very easy and straight forward to get anything done you might want to do.

1 hour ago, FrozenInTime said:

I made a mistake in writing this: the live histogram does not function correctly in Shutter priority mode with non-native lenses; you should review the captured jpeg's histogram.

Yes that is what I found. It is really hard working manually with a manual apterure/focuse lens and it even gets harder in EVF only.  I work mostly in A mode with my M and R lenses. The live histogram is correct in this mode and I try to find and lock the desired exposure time by pointing the camera to a subject which should be exposed correctly, then locking and re-composing to shoot. (similar to the process used with the Leica M rangefinder).  DNG files from the TL2 are flexible enough to correct exposure in PP if I am off a bit.

Edited by dpitt

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Just returned from Tenerife with my TL2 and a TTArtisan 25mm f2.0

I also use it in S mode and Viso on automatic. I do set the ISO on auto and then look for the red F and ISO numbers in the left upper corner to watch out for wrong exposures.

Worked (almost) fine for me with focus peaking and magnification set on the left dial.

To be honest I am glad I left my SL2-S at home. The TL2 is so small and light, it was fun to use and carry all day in a small pouch.

Cheers, Arnold

Edited by aj55
typo
  • Like 2

Update - received the Visoflex Typ 020 - and from a fuji/sony/pana guy - the peaking is only a benefit on the harsh edges (contrast) - HOWEVER - you get 95% of the way with the viewfinder and the magnification...   VERY HAPPY...  Currently waiting on my first real Leica glass (elmarit 90 wetzler - perhaps older than I am)...    

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I btw switched back to A mode with a b&w screen which makes the red focus peaking so much more obvious. S mode did sometimes give strange results.

Have the iso under the function button.

Cheers Arnold

Am 27.12.2023 um 21:41 schrieb AdjusterBrett:

OK… New to Leica - and ridiculously excited.  I sat on my laurels when the TL2 and the 18mm was on close-out (ugh)….  As time went by, never quite had the budget/focus for the red dot - something always took precedence  - but did manage to buy a poor man's SL (Panasonic S1).  Have an RX1 (and even the dinosaur R1), but there has always been a faint tickle in the back of my throat….  I’m off-loading my Fuji gear this winter and likely a candidate for either a SL2S or original if the price Is right.  I love the S1 - but good heavens, I think you could initiate a hostile takeover from it…. I’ve had the TL2 for all of a few days - and seemingly have not put it down.

Already shopping for the Visoflex (020) - as I see on here some manage to shoot vintage / manual only on the T - something I am likely to be infected with in the near future - with only my idiocy standing in the way…. So away with the gushing over it and onto the issue...

I can and do get peaking (non-zoomed) with manual (non-native - in this case a Voigtlander).  I do NOT get magnification, and for the live of me cannot set the left dial...

I can and do get both peaking and magnification with native lenses (in this case the sig DG DN 105, the Panasonic 20-60, the Panasonic 50, and even - with the help of a third hand - the Sig DG DN 100-400 in its ridiculous length).

What I've tried...

I’ve set a profile and saved - then loaded - and didn’t make a difference.

I’ve made the ‘magic’ six choices, set, and then nothing - I seem to be missing the “FN” screen.  I’ve followed other threads and tried turning it off at certain points - turned off and on  - to nothing.

I’ve can video the steps - but suffice to say that no matter what I try or do - once I set the six options (with peaking/magnification as one opting) - it exits back to the general menu (with the left dial square) - and no way to actually set the function of the left dial (FN screen), regardless of where I go from there or how I go from there (either backing out, or hitting the camera menu - middle option on the right, turning it off and back on, etc) - in all cases once back on the main screen (take picture)  - and turn the left dial - it simply shows an “F” in the square and then red on the corners of it - but doesn’t actually affect anything.  I can press (touch) the “F” box - but nothing happens…

I have tried the 'trick' from the linked forum below (DPr) and turned it off at every step - didn't make a difference...

The videos are rudimentary - I'm NOT a video guy at all - iPhone leaned on a tripod - so forgive the fact I cannot even combine them very well...

Two questions…

First - I’ll take any advice.  In the future I will be here asking advice regularly - but this is a BIGGY - vintage is half the fun - and I bought this to be able to drag out and about - as the S1 (and perhaps an SL in the near future) is NOT stealthy nor easily carried...

Second (GUESS): is it possible to reload the firmware - I’m on 1.5 - perhaps something wasn’t perfect with the previous owner’s upgrade - simply a thought…

Appreciate everyone’s time.

For reference I have reviewed:

https://www.reddotforum.com/content/2018/06/firmware-ver-1-4-for-leica-tl2-released/

It is the SIXTH screen that doesn’t come up (titled FN - where the assignment of the left dial actually happens).

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/301142-focus-aid-magnification-on-tl2-with-m-adapter-l/

I’ve followed the post by Kim Dahl (#5) to no resolve.

I’ve also tried creating a profile and saving - didn’t work either.

Have done the On/Off as shown here...

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4729846

I am hoping I’m an idiot and it’s something simple - or even needs reset reloaded - as I’ve lusted after this camera - but seemingly something else always got in the way.  Now that I have it - would like to bombard it with my collection of vintage and play (post purchase of visoflex typ 020 - old guy squinting)…

Any help would be appreciated.

Since the upload doesn't allow >2.44mb - I linked to OneDrive for the two videos - one with a Panasonic 50/1.8 -  where peaking and magnification work - but not on the left dial, and the second with a Sig 28mm showing peaking but no magnification.

I don't have a stand for my iPhone so the video isn't great (leaned against tripod) - but should show I'm not nuts...  I did cut the videos down to 480 for size/download speed.

Video 1 & 2 here:

TL2video

Let's see if this can help you:

Am 27.12.2023 um 21:41 schrieb AdjusterBrett: