Lowest operating temperature of the M240

Herman Zhang

39 minutes ago, Herman Zhang said:

What is the lowest operating temperature of the M240? I couldn't find any information of that either on the official Leica website nor on Wikipedia.

its right there in the m240 tech data pdf??

though one of my friends peacefully uses his m240 in -10°C <> -15°C

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Technische_Daten_Leica M240_EN.pdf

• Like 1

Guess nearly all digital cameras has in their technical data that they only operate down to 0°C. At least all Nikon's I know, Leica and guess Canon is the same. So in theory digital photography below zero is impossible.
Fortunately in real life the camera often doesn't care about it.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/18/2023 at 8:22 PM, fotomas said:

Guess nearly all digital cameras has in their technical data that they only operate down to 0°C. At least all Nikon's I know, Leica and guess Canon is the same. So in theory digital photography below zero is impossible.
Fortunately in real life the camera often doesn't care about it.

Depends. Better sealing is longer hey "don't care " And if intend is for long use care has to be taken.

If not, condensation will make its way over time.

Canikon are far from "all digital" cameras. And far from best sealed ones.

This is why superior to canikons cameras on the sealing have -10 C not 0.

Those are Ricoh and Olympus.  FujiFilm not only specifies -10 C on cameras, but on some lenses as well.

Again,  sealing is the key word. M lenses have no seals.  And if it is older lens without fresh lube , it's focus helicoids will be frozen locked at -20c . Talking from experience.

In fact, I have lost interest in cameras with 0C limit. Leica SL2 is -10 C camera, BTW.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 2 Stunden schrieb Ko.Fe.:

Canikon are far from "all digital" cameras. And far from best sealed ones.

Thank you for this information. I should have written all cameras I know. But among them are also several Fujifilm, Olympus and Ricoh's (older ones indeed) beside lots of Nikons and Canon's. Never saw a camera where below 0° C was claimed. Sounds like they improved the sealing today. Hope they raised the capacity of the batteries also. With mirrorless you need even more energy.

I have never had a problem with any camera in the cold here other than a Hasselblad 203FE and Sony A7S. But I think that is because they both have notoriously underpowered batteries. The only challenges I have had have been from batteries running out, nothing in terms of cameras not working. Sealing has never made a difference for me at least...I use film cameras all the time like the Mamiya 7II and the older M's...none have formed condensation inside the cameras or elements that I have seen and I have done nothing special to them. I just bring them into the car or inside when I am done shooting. They certainly will form condensation on the outside, but it goes away when the temperature stabilizes. It is routinely -10 here in the winter, and I have been out shooting down to about -20. The main thing, however, is that if it is -20 you are probably not going to want to be outside for long periods anyway, unless you are truly wearing expedition level gear. I have never had the focus helicals frozen, but I have had them become a lot tighter due to thermal contraction. But it was never the grease itself freezing. Then again, most of my M lenses and gear is on the newer side, so the newer lubricants are probably better in this than the much older ones.

Used my Leica m9 in Karelia at minus 27 C and the M240 at minus 40 in Irkutsk near Baikal. As was said by other members, just have a couple of batteries close to your body under the clothes. My M9 is still in the family, was not damaged by cold and condensation. One 35 mm Summicron was stuck at the very low temperature, both aperture and focus rings , after than I stopped leaving the setup outdoors in order to prevent condensation, as was recommended at the times by magazines  

On 1/14/2024 at 7:56 PM, Olaf_ZG said:

Biggest problem I have when out in the cold and photographing, the M feels so cold to my forehead, not wearing a hat. Still have to get used to this… the camera itself gets really cold.

That is the real problem. Not sealing, but heat loss from compact, all-metal cameras, specifically the battery.

• Like 1