Sensor and lens appear clean but still get spots on the output

soyfelizjpg

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'll preface and say that I am the least technical photographer when it comes to sensors, cleaning them etc. so the answer may be super obvious to some of you.

I have had this Leica M8 for several years and been using it without any problems. But as of recently, I have noticed that the output shows a lot of spots all around the picture.

The sensor doesn't appear to show any corrosion and I have cleaned the lens time and time again again yet this issue is only getting worse. Is the camera dying? 

I attached two images: 1) of the sensor and 2) sample output to demonstrate the spots (shot at f16, 1250 ISO which is why is somewhat grainy) 

Any and all help is appreciated. And if this has been answered somewhere before, I'd gladly be pointed there than to waste any of your time. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

These are dust spots on the sensor. You cannot judge by eye whether it is clean. I have been looking at sensors through an operating microscope and only then will you see all debris. 
give it a good wet clean.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Just now, jaapv said:

These are dust spots on the sensor. You cannot judge by eye whether it is clean. I have been looking at sensors through an operating microscope and only then will you see all debris. 

it is not surprising that you see no corrosion, that was the M9, not the M8  

3 minutes ago, jaapv said:

Hi Jaap, thank you. Do you recommend I do the cleaning myself or send it to some place where they are skilled for this sort of cleaning? Do I just ask "sensor cleaning"?

1 hour ago, soyfelizjpg said:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

As Jaap has already said the spots are caused by dust on the sensor.

As such one thing which you should never ever do is leave your camera like this unless, of course, you are in the middle of a sensor-clean. I appreciate you are trying to show us something but this isn't useful.

If you are not confident that you are able to carry-out the cleaning yourself then please DO get it done professionally; your camera deserves to be cared for.

P.

It is something that you should be able to do yourself. Practice on an UV filter first.

However in this case it might be wise to drop in in the Leica Store (8783 Beverly Blvd.) and let them help you out.

On 12/17/2023 at 9:58 AM, farnz said:

Yes there is: just send me $10,000 and I will arrange for the thread to be marked as resolved for you. 😇

Pete.

Hi Pete, thank you so much for the thorough service. Just send me your Venmo account, and I'll request $10k from you, just to verify you can accept large payments, and then I'll be sure to send you $10k. Jaap will do the same just for answering my question and then you can close the comments. How does that sound to you? To me and Jaap it sounds great! $10k is practically change on a Leica forum anyway. 😘😉😅

• Haha 1