Leica M6 TTL Metering Question.

kzisme

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello!  New to the forum and was curious what the "typical" built in M6 metering experience is typically like.

I have a new to me M6 TTL, and the meter seems to be working as expected when compared to a light meter.  However, when reading about metering in the manual I am running into a few situations not covered by the manual. 

The most "interesting" situation is when _all_ indicators are lighting up.  >.< for correct exposure.  Is this expected?  If so what does it actually mean?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

They shouldn’t all be lit up at the same time. They may all be flicking between slight under/over exposure if you point the meter spot towards a contrasty subject and don’t hold the camera completely still.
Only the center dot should light up when the meter thinks exposure is correct - like the manual you quote describes.

• Like 1

Agree with @nitroplait that this should not happen in an M6TTL. The original (non-TTL) M6 is different - it does not have a center dot at all, only the two arrows.

Maybe some very special artificial lighting situation (with flickering lights) could cause this? But that would be easy to verify because it should only happen in that particular situation. I guess you have checked that the batteries are not getting depleted?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mujk said:

Agree with @nitroplait that this should not happen in an M6TTL. The original (non-TTL) M6 is different - it does not have a center dot at all, only the two arrows.

Maybe some very special artificial lighting situation (with flickering lights) could cause this? But that would be easy to verify because it should only happen in that particular situation. I guess you have checked that the batteries are not getting depleted?

After doing some more testing today - mostly just checking exposure when looking at some computer monitors if I pan across different colors (maybe refresh rates?) it sometimes seems to happen, but probably just the lighting currently at my desk, or just from pointing it directly at a light source with many other light sources around.