Figured you all might get a chuckle from my repair estimate notes...

hellobrandonscott

Advertisement (gone after registration)

To say the least... the body I sent in looks like it's been through war, haha.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by hellobrandonscott

That's been discussed before in this forum. Leica has a CYA strategy in their repair estimates. I think they've been burned too many times by owners who claim that any scratch or blemish "wasn't there before." Some of us Leica users can be a bit obsessive, you know.

I'm sure they also keep a visual record on file, in case things escalate. I know I would if I was them.

You should wear Leica's assessment as a badge of honor, just like your camera wears its "traces of use" as a badge of honor.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, hellobrandonscott said:

As per your title I thought I would be be laughing at some repair estimate sums...

2 hours ago, hellobrandonscott said:

Isn’t that a polite way of saying: all banged up?🤣

1 hour ago, hellobrandonscott said:

Ha, actually, just made it under the 3-year warranty mark by weeks. It was another loose battery release lever, thankfully replaced under warranty. 

Loose battery release lever is a recurring problem? Great, something else to look out for.

Just flagging up for Andreas maybe - on an iPad Pro or MacBook Pro I get a large image of a partial file but don’t see the figures etc…so can’t follow the discussion

Is this a forum formatting/file error for Mac? Or am I doing something wrong…

2 hours ago, Archiver said:

Loose battery release lever is a recurring problem? Great, something else to look out for.

I have three SL2-S bodies... body 1 & 2 were purchased at launch, so presumably first off the line, and both have been sent for this repair. One fully fell off and the other (this one) got super loose, so I sent it in before it fell off. 

Body 3 was purchased this year and so far so good. 

Maybe it was just a problem with the first builds? IDK.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Al Brown said:

I have engraved a top plate of my old digital M with the "top-of-MP" style Leica logo. When sent to repair to Wetzlar they wrote "damaged top plate" on the sheet. How passive aggressive.

They probably must do so if the engraving was not done by Leica. I once sent in a brand new M6 for engraving. No roll through it and in the original plastic bag. I assume I left a fingerprint on it.The estimate  mentioned "light traces of use". Don't take it personally, Germany is a legalistic country.

• Like 2

I don't recall seeing a description come back from them that did not say that...even of gear that seemed mint to me. It's not like I am not picky! But I think if you have used the camera at all, they consider any light marks "strong traces of use" even if a normal observer would rate the camera as Mint- or Ex+. As said above, I think it is entirely about liability, and not at all about value judgement. Just from following the forums, Leica customers do sound like they are just the worst when it comes to dealing with. A significant proportion of the users are collectors or hobbyists and treat the cameras like luxury objects and expect Leica to service them like fancy watches. It is understandable, but it leads to Leica service having their job cut out for them, as the guy who sends in the camera with a scratch he didn't notice will scream bloody murder and accuse Leica of doing it themselves. I am sure there are cases where they are at fault, but I would imagine that in many cases it is something the sender did not notice until they started scrutinizing the camera intently after it was returned.

• Like 3

Not a Leica, but I wonder what they would have said about Don McCullin's Nikon F?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...