A new to me M240 and first M camera

maidenfan84

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I’ve posted in the past about an m240 and it’s taken a while but I ended up going with what I think was best for me and getting an m240. I ordered it from a well known US seller and it was rated as moderate scuffs, etc and figured fine with me. It arrived and I would have rated it a 9.5 easily. Looks brand new and no brassing even. Seems like everything is there except the neck strap which I’ll have to reach out because it said it did come with one. I was surprised to find a small Leica service booklet I included with it. Another cool detail is it has a label on the bottom with a name and phone number along with an email of its previous owner. I looked them up online at their website and seems like a really known fashion photographer who’s worked for vogue, various makeup brands, and even city museums. Really cool touch in my opinion and would make sense it’s in seemingly solid condition since it was a working professional who owned it. I have some experience with the M10 and was concerned about if I’d like the files on the m240…I was blown away by the punch of the colors and there’s a certain naturalness to the test shots. Can’t quite put a finger on it or put it into words other than natural. I even tried it at pull 6400 and I don’t see (yet) the commotion about it. It’s not 2023 sharp but it’s not bad at all!   One question I do have is do I need to manually select a lens size and aperture since I’m using a non-coded voigtlander Nokton clsssic ll, or will it automatically adjust the frame lines? Also, how to get the live view focus highlighting to work? I have it set on red but I don’t see any highlighting when it’s in focus on the screen

Edited by maidenfan84
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Voigtländer lenses should automatically show the right frameline, if it is available. My 40 mm shows up the frame for the 50 mm, since there is no frame for 40 mm.

Focus peaking works for me with my Leica lenses, but once I tried a Minolta 50 mm/ 1:1.8. With this no lines where shown. Guess it might have not enough detail contrast or sharpness for the camera software. Maybe you can try to see if it appears when you stop down the lens a bit.

Edited by fotomas
  • Like 1

If the neck strap is the same as my M240P I would not use it. the strap had a spring steel wire that slipped thru  the body lug  then a plastic cap slide over it.

The plastic cap on mine slide back and the  strap manages to find a way to slip thru and the camera hit the ground.

I see Leica does not use these type of straps any longer.

Get a strap and steel rings that will not fail.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lexontario said:

If the neck strap is the same as my M240P I would not use it. the strap had a spring steel wire that slipped thru  the body lug  then a plastic cap slide over it.

The plastic cap on mine slide back and the  strap manages to find a way to slip thru and the camera hit the ground.

I see Leica does not use these type of straps any longer.

Get a strap and steel rings that will not fail.

If you push a little harder on that plastic piece I think you’ll find it snaps into place preventing that issue.

• Like 2

I tried that. Seems the previous owner had distorted the wire and the plastic clip would not properly engage. at the time I thought it was properly seated

From my experience seeing my m240p and 50 apo hit the cobblestones, using this strap is not the best option.

I was lucky as only a small dent in the top corner above the viewfinder and the  lens filter damaged.

I had the lens checked to make sure it was 100% which it was.

rangefinder needed to be adjusted

Anyone that thinks the old style strap is fail proof , then I wish them luck

Edited by lexontario

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Sorry to hear about your experience.  Dropping one of my Leicas is my greatest fear.  I use that strap (Leica #14312) on all three of my M bodies. My two Monochroms came with a nice leather strap that I hated and replaced with the #14312. One advantage that strap has is the non-slip pad.  The grippy side allows for shoulder carry if wanted, as long as I don't wear something slick like a nylon windbreaker.  I like that so much that all my cameras wear Upstraps which have a similar pad.