Street Photography for a Shrinking Violet

GarethC

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I was out today with the camera for a short while, had some meetings and put the camera in the car to take it out for lunch. Granted, I wasn't exactly dressed inconspicuously, wearing a suit and tie, but I was tremendously self conscious of asking anybody if I could shoot them so decided to stick to inanimate objects.

Lesson Learned.

I read a great thread a few weeks ago about a street shooting workshop in Prague and gleaned some information from that but am having trouble launching into it.

Some help, guidance, encouragement would be appreciated.

I'm sure that once I start then it will become easier but as I'm used to shooting landscapes I'm trained to frame, focus ya da ya da quite slowly, bores the living daylights out of my subjects :)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was out today with the camera for a short while, had some meetings and put the camera in the car to take it out for lunch. Granted, I wasn't exactly dressed inconspicuously, wearing a suit and tie, but I was tremendously self conscious of asking anybody if I could shoot them so decided to stick to inanimate objects.

Lesson Learned.

I read a great thread a few weeks ago about a street shooting workshop in Prague and gleaned some information from that but am having trouble launching into it.

I'm sure that once I start then it will become easier but as I'm used to shooting landscapes I'm trained to frame, focus ya da ya da quite slowly, bores the living daylights out of my subjects :)

Gareth,

Some may take the following as being promotional, etc. but, if so, so what...I'm citing them because they're very much relevant to your post.

I wrote three article that I think might be helpful to you:

"Street Photography"

"Photographing Strangers"

"Photographing People We Know"

Equipment is just equipment, these are about photography. Those three essays, along with the other essays, may be the most valuable content on the site. I think you're already reading the site so check them out and see what you think.

Cheers,

Sean

Lesson Learned.

Gareth I really got a lot out of the to weeks I spent with Peter Turnley in Pargue and Budapest. Peter and several other photojournalists lead workshops on street shooting organized by the maine photographic workshops. They have about a dozen scheduled for 2008. Two techniques that seem to work (1) set the stage.....find a location with a great background and a flow of people ..prefocus and wait for the moment to come to you. (2) return to the same location frequently ..take prints from earlier shoots...then engage people in conversation . One of the things I liked about the workshops has been the opportunity to talk with 3-4 photojournalists about the development of a portfolio or book .

I made a conscious decision to do more "street" about a year ago. I shot somewhere I was comfortable with. I used a small, inconspicuous and non-threatening camera (a IIIc). I walked around with the lens preset to around 15 feet, with a small aperture. I carried the camera every time I went out, so that it became part of my "comfort zone". I shot "easy" subjects at first - street entertainers who expect to be photographed, people at a distance, people looking away, until I became more confident. I did not push myself to progress too quickly - I didn't expect miracles immediately. I like what I now do, but I could still do better.

Regards,

Bill

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi Sean

I did read your articles which I thoroughly enjoyed. The OP has a point in that initially it does feel somewhat awkward to take shots of strangers. I have felt that in CN even with the M8. Its partly due to culture as the local people are extremely averse to having their shots taken. In general, they distinctly dont appreciate it and will ask not to have their pics taken when asked. Even when you are taking shots where a person is not the focal point, they will enquire, sometimes in a belligerent manner, why you are taking shots of them. Upon explanation and showing the pic, some will accept but often some will demand that the shot be erased. Most of the time I dont erase the pic but explain again and put away the camera.

In the beginning, I found it was easier to focus on taking shots of people you know. At a recent wedding, I did this and after a while people relax (particularly where there is alcohol !) and forget about the camera. I am learning to compose and prepare well before taking the shot so there is minimal time when the camera is brought to the eye.

Overall, I guess one just has to persist and have a thick skin. It takes practice and practice and practice...

Hi Sean

In the beginning, I found it was easier to focus on taking shots of people you know. At a recent wedding, I did this and after a while people relax (particularly where there is alcohol !) and forget about the camera. I am learning to compose and prepare well before taking the shot so there is minimal time when the camera is brought to the eye.

There you go... A lot of people never realize how rich that subject matter is. That's not to negate the potential inherent in pictures of strangers in public places but it makes a lot of sense to do as you are doing -- as a beginning, a middle or an end.

Cheers,

Sean

Hi Sean

I did read your articles which I thoroughly enjoyed. The OP has a point in that initially it does feel somewhat awkward to take shots of strangers. I have felt that in CN even with the M8. Its partly due to culture as the local people are extremely averse to having their shots taken. In general, they distinctly dont appreciate it and will ask not to have their pics taken when asked. Even when you are taking shots where a person is not the focal point, they will enquire, sometimes in a belligerent manner, why you are taking shots of them. Upon explanation and showing the pic, some will accept but often some will demand that the shot be erased. Most of the time I dont erase the pic but explain again and put away the camera.

Overall, I guess one just has to persist and have a thick skin. It takes practice and practice and practice...

I guess things are different for street shooting in China compared to 25 years ago. Then, all I had to do was to be there with my Hasselblad and people would appear from nowhere to be photographed. My specialty was taking pictures of the babies with the polaroid back on and then giving the polaroid to the parents and watching them see it develop. Of course, by then I had put the film back on and was getting the really good shots. That was probably the most fun I ever had with a camera.

Was at a gathering of photographers recently and the work of a local street photographer was exhibited. A person argured that taking photographs of people without their permission was unethical and illegal. Not sure where she got her info from but when I spoke of people like Cartier-Bresson it did not seem to quiet her down. One of her arguments was that it is an invasion of privacy and one should obtain a release. I attempted to explain the difference between commerical use and non-comerical use but she still felt that it was wrong.

I would be interested in knowing if there are others of the same mind as she and the reasoning behind it.

Have always found if you behave in a non-threating manner and smile at the person after the shot if they should look at you, they do not seem to mind and they smile back. One of the great benefits of digital is that you can show the person the shot you took of him/her. In Tuscany took photo of man picking grapes and after I showed it to him he broke out with a big grin and said "Gary Cooper".

Harris

If its street photography, why would you ask?

Go to deviant art and look for Chris Weeks' "Street Photography for the Purist" - it is a hoot to read and has some great shots.

Deviant Art's search function isn't very helpful, and I had a bit of a time finding this. Go here and click "download" to get the article.

One of the things that I find helps is to be able to create some sort of bond/trust/linkage with the person just before the photo is being taken. This can be a smile, an open gesture or can simply be the clothes you wear that make the other person comfortable that you are OK. In the beginning I hesitated quite a bit and would only take pictures of people who looked at me and made me feel OK to photograph them but I too am expanding my comfort zone and now try to photograph people as much as possible when I travel. There are cultural things one needs to be careful about and there is also paranoia in some some countries so sit a while and blend in to the scene to the point where you feel that you are at home and when in doubt just ask. You will develop judgement about how ot approach different people and who to leave alone.

Good luck,

Arif

P.S. You can see some of my steet shots in my Moscow and Venice galleries.

I try to be relaxed, nonchalant and comfortable when photographing among strangers. I think people take a cue from your own deportment and behave accordingly.

In some recent thread (glenerroldrd's about the Prague workshop?) there was a shot or two of a photographer snapping pictures right up against a car's window. He was almost intrusively close it seemed. Still, folks will accept that if your demeanor is appropriate.

If you are matter of fact, non-threatening, and respectful of your subjects reactions you can get pretty intimate. I'm always surprised how willing strangers will be to either play along, ignore me or indulge me.

Frankly, I think many people would rather be photographed than to have a stranger try to draw them into conversation.

Guest malland

A pretty waitress at the cafe that I go to for breakfast every morning told me that rather huffily that another customer told her that I took some pictures of her the day before. I answered that I hadn't really been taken pictures of her but hat she just happened to be in the pictures; and she said, "Oh, you were taking pictures of the cafe, then. Can you bring them so that I can see them?" I told her that I had already erased them because they weren't any good, which was true. A week later I joked, "So when are we going to take some pcitures?", which she took seriously and frowned.

What's the point of this? I'm not sure, but it's always better when people have a sense of humour. This is the cafe:

1621781355_61241d5b23_o.jpg

—Mitch/Paris

Mitch Alland's slideshow on Flickr

It's all quite simple just take some shots, some people will always get pissed off. others will tell you to fuck off , someone may even smack you in the face....so be it.......................... don't expect people to cater for your need to take photos

...if all else fails get down on your knees and plead forgiveness