C41 developing gone wrong need help asap

Minoltagang97

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I just started developing at home. My first roll came out great but now I’m continuously getting results like this :( I think it might be my developer but I’m not sure. Please help! 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

If your first film came out fine it suggests some cross contamination between the chemicals happened afterwards. If that’s the case start with a fresh set and be ultra careful, in C41 processing there is a bit of leeway with times etc. for accidents, but not darkroom ‘hygiene’.

• Like 1

That sort of pattern can happen if the film isn't spooled correctly on the reel. You'll get unprocessed areas where the emulsion touched the back of another layer.

That can happen with Patterson-style reels if the reel isn't fully dry (the film doesn't load smoothly and it can bind. Metal reels will do that if you load them at an angle.

• Like 1

On 11/11/2023 at 5:45 PM, Minoltagang97 said:

but now I’m continuously getting results like this :( 

That's sad to hear. I'd follow both advice above. Cross-contamination must be avoided at all costs (not even the slightest drip). I don't know how experienced you are, but perhaps first trying B&W makes sense, as you have longer dev times, no bleach, etc., helping you get the mechanics right (spooling the film on the reels, temperature, timing). Try stocks like Kodak TMax 100 or Delta 100, as they are high-resolving stocks with very fine grain and somewhat demanding. When they come out nicely, like wow, you know your workflow is set up correctly, leading to predictable results. Then I'd try C41. 

If you are uncertain about your tank and reels (assuming they are old, and maybe worn out), get new ones. I use Jobo, others Patterson. 

Home development is easy. The results can be as good or even better than a lab at the corner typically achieves. However, processing the film requires discipline, proper lab hygiene, and a recipe without deviation. 

• Like 1

Don’t blame the tank. I have been using the same Paterson tanks and spirals for 50 years and they still work fine. I haven’t done C41 for a few years but they were ok when I did.

Was it just the part of the film shown that is bad or the whole roll? If the tank, spiral and chemical jugs etc were washed out between films then it should have come out ok. Always keep the jugs used for dev’ and bleach/fix separate, never use the dev’ jug for holding bleach/fix. The bit of film shown looks as if it had too much heat applied to it?

Edited by Pyrogallol