Leica R3 mirror sticking up

mikepgc

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I bought a second hand Leica R3 camera, but sometimes the mirror sticking up and needs to turn upside down or until I press the DOF preview lever. I replaced the battery as well. Weird thing is that this is not happening all the time. What i can do to fix this? 

Please see my video on youtube: 

Edited by mikepgc

Welcome to the forum.

If returning it is no option, I suggest you try using the camera for a while. Maybe it is just a bit 'rusty' and will come back to life with some exercise. Ideally this R3 should get a complete service (CLA Clean lubricate adjust). It is 50 years old and maybe has been sitting idle for more than 20 years. Lubricants will get sticky and lose their function...

Test it out  with a few film rolls and check if this is the only problem. Some will develop light leaks, and for that issue one can find ready cut felt strips on Ebay.

Unfortunately a CLA does not make sense economically. Maybe an other forum member has an idea what you can do without opening it?

In case of a major problem, it is often easier/cheaper to find an R3 in good working condition than to try fixing it.

• Like 1

I no longer have an R3. But from experience with other SLR cameras of this vintage, often the mirror damper (what the mirror bumps into when it flips up) has deteriorated and turned sticky. I used to routinely replace them if they weren't flexible, and it often eliminated any sticky mirror problem. You might want to check yours out. Replacement is pretty easy but does require a steady and delicate hand to scrape off the dried sticky stuff, making sure none gets on the mirror or inside the body on any surface and glue on replacement foam or felt.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The R3 doesn’t use foam to dampen the mirror slap but has a more sophisticated mechanical mechanism.

I would try working it a while to see if that frees it up. If not, and assuming that the electronics (shutter and metering) are fine then speak to a repairer about a CLA. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have an R3 MOT electronic. When it arrived, obviously purchased from a previous owner, I found that it was pristine, still in original plastic. The serial number dates it to nearly last production for this model. That said I put in a battery, and turned on the electronics, advanced the film advance lever, super smooth in action, fired the shutter. Given it had been sitting since it came off the assembly line, I wondered about the effects of sitting unused. No need to worry, it fired precisely running it through all the shutter speeds. The mirror flipped up and down. I agree with a previous responder, try dry firing the camera, no film. Run it up and down the shutter speeds, especially the slow speeds. Do this about six or more times at one sitting. Watch the movement of the mirror with every firing.

• Like 1