Developed Film has spots or blotches

shurkan2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi everybody,

I just received back two rolls of 120 film from my lab (CEWE in Germany).

It appears that both of the films have identical spots / blotches all over the entire roll. Additionally I noticed some more markings on one of the films.

The flecks are visible also in the portions of the film without any picture

They were shot with a Mamiya M645 J.

The filmstock used is Ilford HP5 Plus.

It was expired for about 2 years when I used it. Stored at moderate temperatures.

I already checked if the curtain has any holes, but I could not spot any when shining a light through it.

I shot both films within one day.

I also tried to clean the film with isopropol alcohol and some wipes but could not remove the spots.

I further tried to soak the film in soapy water to see if that would rinse out any residual deceloper or so. But without any effect.

My assumption is, that the development was done incorrectly.

What I find very peculiar is, that both films show the same markings. Maybe they were developed together

Does anybody habe any idea where the flecks could come from? And would you think it is possible to get a refund?

Thank you in advance!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by shurkan2

There is a possible explanation.

I'm assuming in the bottom photo you are shooting through glass and the bright spots are the reflections of lights (or maybe not?), but I'm looking at the fainter spots near the mens heads. And then the striation marks that cross the boundaries of the exposed film into the surround in the first photo. I can't see a problem with the middle photo. I'm also assuming when you say the marks are 'the same' you mean they are similar and not exactly the same repeated marks. 

So based on that I think you may have some faulty film. Ilford had a problem with a batch of backing paper (particularly for HP5) a few years ago and the results of it are still manifesting themselves as old film is used up. The backing paper would stick to the film and leave speckles and striations on the negatives very similar to the marks you have, and given the age of your film it makes sense. There are many discussions about it on medium format forums and Ilford will replace faulty film with new. There are many variations of the problem depending on how old the film is and how it's been stored, but I've added a particularly bad example I made with my Holga and HP5 (Ilford replaced the film)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

The very bright spots on the last frame are reflections from light on the glass window - yes.

But there are brigther spots all over the 3 images. Look for example on the cap the men is wearing on the 2nd one. In real life it is one color without any marks on it, but still it has many brighter spots all over it. His skin also looks like he has freckles. But in real life his skin is smooth.

The spots do look quite similar to the ones on your picture.

How did you get your film replaced by Ilford?

2 hours ago, shurkan2 said:

But there are brigther spots all over the 3 images. Look for example on the cap the men is wearing on the 2nd one. 

How did you get your film replaced by Ilford?

Yes I see what you mean now, the mottled spots in the shadow of the caps peak. After realising they were spots and not texture in the cap I'm pretty certain this is the problem.

Here is Ilford's statement on the subject and in it is a link to their product feedback page were you can post an example and give the batch number of the film which you'll find on the film edge. When you send them an image from each film I would make it more high contrast so the problem is immediately obvious. Also say it was stored in a fridge until you used it but I wouldn't mention it was second hand!

https://www.ilfordphoto.com/updated-120-roll-film-statement/

Edited by 250swb