Q3 Wireless Charging

Corius

Advertisement (gone after registration)

There have been a few posts on this in the past, but having just received my Q3 and the Leica handgrip I'm posting my thoughts on the use of wireless charging

I know some people don't like the idea of wireless charging so please ignore this post if it horrifies you.

Firstly the handgrip is very well made and complements the camera. I understand that it isn't arca compliant but that's not my use case. The forward facing lip integrates with the camera much better than the Q2 one did. The issue of not having ready access to the SD Card is also not a problem for me. You can remove the grip very quickly if necessary but I am now mainly uploading to my iPhone using the Fotos app and syncing via LR. The new Wifi transfer speed is really very easy and fast, even for DNGs, and very convenient when on vacation.

Having got the main two arguments against the Leica grip out of the way lets move onto wireless charging

The official Leica base is very expensive, and quite misleading as it does not show where to position the camera. Others have pointed out that it is a rebranded version of the much cheaper Native Union Drop XL wireless charger which is currently £87 on Amazon UK.

The charger is actually for charging two devices simultaneously, something that is not obvious with the Leica version. The NU version makes it quite clear that one device should be located to the  right of the pad, and one to the left. The Q3 should be placed above the left side of the pad and this area is shown by a circular pattern on the textured pad.

Now, the Leica grip has a logo imprinted showing where the centre of the receiving coil is located. All that is needed is to locate that over the center of the charging circle on the pad and the camera led will start flashing to show the connection is good. I find that placing the camera in the middle. front to back; and to the far left of the pad gives  connection 100% of the time.

Charging is pretty fast and the base and grip get quite warm, but not excessively so.

So, if you are willing to use the Leica grip, and are open to wireless device charging then this might be a good solution for you.

• Like 6

30 minutes ago, Corius said:

There have been a few posts on this in the past, but having just received my Q3 and the Leica handgrip I'm posting my thoughts on the use of wireless charging

I know some people don't like the idea of wireless charging so please ignore this post if it horrifies you.

Firstly the handgrip is very well made and complements the camera. I understand that it isn't arca compliant but that's not my use case. The forward facing lip integrates with the camera much better than the Q2 one did. The issue of not having ready access to the SD Card is also not a problem for me. You can remove the grip very quickly if necessary but I am now mainly uploading to my iPhone using the Fotos app and syncing via LR. The new Wifi transfer speed is really very easy and fast, even for DNGs, and very convenient when on vacation.

Having got the main two arguments against the Leica grip out of the way lets move onto wireless charging

The official Leica base is very expensive, and quite misleading as it does not show where to position the camera. Others have pointed out that it is a rebranded version of the much cheaper Native Union Drop XL wireless charger which is currently £87 on Amazon UK.

The charger is actually for charging two devices simultaneously, something that is not obvious with the Leica version. The NU version makes it quite clear that one device should be located to the  right of the pad, and one to the left. The Q3 should be placed above the left side of the pad and this area is shown by a circular pattern on the textured pad.

Now, the Leica grip has a logo imprinted showing where the centre of the receiving coil is located. All that is needed is to locate that over the center of the charging circle on the pad and the camera led will start flashing to show the connection is good. I find that placing the camera in the middle. front to back; and to the far left of the pad gives  connection 100% of the time.

Charging is pretty fast and the base and grip get quite warm, but not excessively so.

So, if you are willing to use the Leica grip, and are open to wireless device charging then this might be a good solution for you.

Very useful info, thanks for posting.

I have not had the need to use the charger thus far but here are some images from the box  (top and bottom) and the charging plate which make plain its origin and use

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I have found wireless okay.

Two most important things to know are you have place the charging point on bottom of grip (it is marked) on the correct spot on whatever charging pad you are using.

As OP stated, you will know if it is working when the red light on the back of the Q3 flashes. If it isn’t flashing you have not properly placed camera on charging pad.

Edited by LarsOtium

7 hours ago, idusidusi said:

I don't like the idea that you are unable to remove the SD card without removal of the grip especially as there are other grips available which are not so restricted.

For me the SD card is less of an issue.

Actually the main concern I have is to make sure I swap out batteries on a regular basis. Too easy to just drop camera on pad and not have to remove battery and swap for secondary one.

Edited by LarsOtium
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 minute ago, LarsOtium said:

For me the SD card is less of an issue.

Actually the main concern I have is to make sure I swap out batteries on a regular basis. To easy to just drop camera on pad and not have to remove battery and swap for secondary one.

I agree on that, so may cancel the charging pad. One does need the grip though because as far as I can see the standard Leica half cases don't have a grip included. So half case is out, charging pad is out for me. I shall just buy the grip because the camera without it is a camera with an issue at least in my hands. (I judge that on handing a slippery feeling original  Q at a dealer this week).

3 minutes ago, idusidusi said:

I agree on that, so may cancel the charging pad. One does need the grip though because as far as I can see the standard Leica half cases don't have a grip included. So half case is out, charging pad is out for me. I shall just buy the grip because the camera without it is a camera with an issue at least in my hands. (I judge that on handing a slippery feeling original  Q at a dealer this week).

Honestly I wanted the RRS grip, but I wasn’t going to wait for them to get around to offering a Q3 version.

So I bought Leica hand grip for the grip (wireless charging was not important to me). And on the fit/finish and ergonomics of the Leica grip I am extremely pleased. The grip really improves ease of use of Q3 for me. Feels very solid in hand.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, LarsOtium said:

Honestly I wanted the RRS grip, but I wasn’t going to wait for them to get around to offering a Q3 version.

So I bought Leica hand grip for the grip (wireless charging was not important to me). And on the fit/finish and ergonomics of the Leica grip I am extremely pleased. The grip really improves ease of use of Q3 for me. Feels very solid in hand.

BUT then you have to take it off to get at the SD card and I suppose the battery?

9 minutes ago, idusidusi said:

BUT then you have to take it off to get at the SD card and I suppose the battery?

Yes you do. No question. If ease of access is critical the Leica grip isn’t great. Though that said, it is very, very easy on, easy off. Couple twists of a recessed handle does the trick. And with precise Leica engineering there is no fiddling to accomplish the task.

Maybe the thumb grip would have been enough, but I liked the idea of some added protection to the body if dropped. Honestly that is why I wanted the RRS as it is more of a cage protecting body.

Who knows. I might change for an RRS if they finally offer one.

Edited by LarsOtium
  • Thanks 1

I have the Q2 grip.  It appears a perfect fit for the Q3

• Like 2

The Leica grip feels really good and certainly more secure in the hand but I think it seriously detracts from the looks of the camera.  The OEM thumb support made a world of difference for me.  I modded it slightly by adding a little silicone strip for extra purchase.  

I'd love to be able to top off the Q with magnetic charging but not if it impedes the easy access to the battery.   IMO that's a huge miss.

• Thanks 1

vor 18 Stunden schrieb Delboy72:

I have the Q2 grip.  It appears a perfect fit for the Q3

I am also using my Q2 grip on my Q3 until I get the Leica Thumbrest which I eventually preferred on the Q2 over the grip. I've tried the Q2 thumbrest on the Q3 but a) does it only have one button an b) does this button not really work with the Q3. So I will sell it with the Q2

But the holding comfort is great with the Q2 grip, no question there. Maybe I'll get used to it so much that I can safe the money for the Leica thumbrest and spend it more wisely :D

Edited by Daniel C.1975

• 1 month later...

Successful wireless charging is indicated by the small LED on the back of the Q3 either flashing green, indicating it is charging, or steady green indicating it is completely charged but still seeing a wireless charging output.

A flashing red LED indicates that the camera can see a wireless charging output, but that it is not a high speed charger, or the camera is slightly incorrectly aligned with the charging pad.

The Native Union non Leica branded Drop XL charger works fine, provided that the camera is lined-up correctly and likewise the 16 Coil Zens Liberty (particularly the glass edition) works well, providing again the camera is correctly lined-up, though this is less fiddly than the Native Union. The Zens Liberty has a built-in fan, which although quiet, does provide a little background noise.

The 5 coil Choetech pad was disappointing in that no matter what PSU or cable combination was used, the pad did not give sufficient output wattage and never resulted in a green LED indication on the Q3.

• Like 1

.I use the Native Union Drop XL pad with the leica grip.  Works great.  Reason was the addition of the large size finger loop.  Indispensable as far as I'm concerned, the greatest aid to one handed carry/shooting I've been able to find.

Edited by MikeD70
remove double post