Lens correction wrong?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Had an evening out with the family today and my Wife took a photo of my son and I with our Q3. The photo was shot uncropped, I was surprised to see that with lens correction applied my forehead looks elongated but with the lens correction NOT applied the proportion was more natural/real. I have attached two photos, bottom one with lens correction applied in ON1 (the OOC JPEG looks similar in terms of proportions) and the second, top one, with no lens correction applied. The photo is no lens correction applied is the one with the less elongated forehead - which is more my head shape!

I understand that photos can be distorted if you shoot wide and stand close to the camera but I thought lens correction would fix this rather than emphasize it like in this case.

Can anyone explain?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by mholeica
named top and bottom photo

14 minutes ago, jdlaing said:

Very simple. Do not apply lens correction in post processing.

I shoot RAW + JPEG and usually keep JPEGs unless I am printing something out or needing to brighten. It seems like the camera applies lens correction to the JPEGs, I am now wondering if it is better to not do this and how to turn it off in camera if it is even possible.

Edited by mholeica

Just now, mholeica said:

I shoot RAW + JPEG. It seems like the camera applies lens correction to the JPEGs, I am now wondering if it is better to not do this and how to turn it off in camera if it is even possible.

I don’t believe you can turn it off. Post a picture of the raw converted to jpeg without any post processing corrections done.

8 minutes ago, jdlaing said:

I don’t believe you can turn it off. Post a picture of the raw converted to jpeg without any post processing corrections done.

Here is the photo which is RAW to JPEG with no post processing or lens correction applied.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

In my experience the in-camera correction (JPEG) is different than what is produced by Lightroom Classic (DNG)

Even though RAW software is supposed to be using the descriptive tag embedded within the DNG file. One can only assume the out of camera version is correct and the DNG is incorrect  

The reason is you’re applying double lens correction in your software ON1. You see the RAW images have all the corrections built in, your software is doing it again which is ruining your shots. If you open the raw file in Adobe Camera RAW or Lightroom you don’t have this issue. Just don’t apply additional corrections in your ON1 software. 

On 8/31/2023 at 1:53 AM, frame-it said:

are you using C1 or LR ?

I am using ON1. But the issue is with the in camera JPEG lens correction too.

On 8/31/2023 at 8:32 AM, Miltz said:

The reason is you’re applying double lens correction in your software ON1. You see the RAW images have all the corrections built in, your software is doing it again which is ruining your shots. If you open the raw file in Adobe Camera RAW or Lightroom you don’t have this issue. Just don’t apply additional corrections in your ON1 software. 

When processing a RAW it’s fairly easy to ‘fix‘ this issue, as like people have said above, just don’t apply lens correction. The issue however is that I tend to prefer to just keep the JPEGs and only process those that are either too dark/ bright or if I want to print out the photo. The JPEG OOC usually looks pretty good already but it applies the lens correction which gives the effect described above. This also makes me think that the RAW does not have lens correction applied but has the data for lens correction and if I choose to apply it in ON1 it makes it look like the OOC JPEG. 

It’s a strange one as lens correction is supposed to make it less distorted.

16 minutes ago, mholeica said:

I am using ON1. But the issue is with the in camera JPEG lens correction too.

When processing a RAW it’s fairly easy to ‘fix‘ this issue, as like people have said above, just don’t apply lens correction. The issue however is that I tend to prefer to just keep the JPEGs and only process those that are either too dark/ bright or if I want to print out the photo. The JPEG OOC usually looks pretty good already but it applies the lens correction which gives the effect described above. This also makes me think that the RAW does not have lens correction applied but has the data for lens correction and if I choose to apply it in ON1 it makes it look like the OOC JPEG. 

It’s a strange one as lens correction is supposed to make it less distorted.

well, just for fun, download a trial version of C1 and open a Leica Q DNG and reset the cropping

On 9/2/2023 at 10:51 AM, frame-it said:

well, just for fun, download a trial version of C1 and open a Leica Q DNG and reset the cropping

Just got round to downloading the C1 trial but remembered I had a trial already so won't work unfortunately, not even with another email address.

The problem is that a wideangle lens will have two types of distortion. The most obvious one is linear distortion-barrel, pincushion or moustache- and the other one is perspective distortion  -egg-shaped heads- which affects three-dimensional objects close to the corners and edges and is a geometrical function, not a lens error. Correcting one can/will worsen the other. 

2 hours ago, jaapv said:

The problem is that a wideangle lens will have two types of distortion. The most obvious one is linear distortion-barrel, pincushion or moustache- and the other one is perspective distortion  -egg-shaped heads- which affects three-dimensional objects close to the corners and edges and is a geometrical function, not a lens error. Correcting one can/will worsen the other. 

Yes it’s really interesting turning lens correction on and then off in software, head shape might improve but you get distortion at the fringe. 
Shooting 35mm crop for near by people is definitely the best.