Thinking of moving to Q2 monochrom

Samm

Advertisement (gone after registration)

So deliberating trading my m10m for a Q2m, I know it’s a subjective decision but would like to hear anyone else’s thoughts, particularly anyone with experience of the Q2.

Reasons to move, eyesight primarily and don’t love the additional visoflex on the m. So the evf is a draw, the ability to preview exposure in the viewfinder. It looks small and light, as opposed to an SL which I have found off putting to use daily in the past. Also liking the Q lens and close focus.

I’ve loved the images from the M, it feels connected to that ‘history’ and feels great to use but practically missing focus and checking exposure when trying to be creative with light makes me think the Q may be a more practical choice.

I have a nagging doubt I may have regrets, the limitation of one very nice lense and a loss of just that feeling an M has?

cheers

On 8/30/2023 at 10:36 PM, Samm said:

Reasons to move, eyesight primarily and don’t love the additional visoflex on the m. So the evf is a draw, the ability to preview exposure in the viewfinder.

those are the exact reasons why the EVF is basically glued to my m246. it ruins the look of the M, but for me thats a secondary consideration. i only shoot models, so nailing critical focus is more important than speed

Heh. I moved from EVF cameras back to the M's rangefinder because of my eyesight ... it's easier to see the RF in sunlight than an EVF. We're all different... ;)

A Q2M is a nice camera. If what it offers is all you want/need, and you prefer an EVF and AF over an RF, sure: go for it. 

G

I guess I'd suggest that you think about what can be and can't be changed about the M10M and the Q2.

For myself, a body with a fixed, non-interchangable lens is not as desirable as a body that permits me to change lenses. But that's me, and you know yourself better than any of us do. 

If, for you, a ~28mm lens plus cropping will meet your needs, that's important to know (although, of course, you can have your choice among many fine ~28mm lenses on the M10M).

If an electronic viewfinder that can't be removed is high on your list of imperative features, your decision is easy. 

On the other hand, if you'd like to be able to decide on the basis of circumstances whether to use the electronic viewfinder or the optical viewfinder, that changes the argument. You could even focus with the EVF when you'd like, and view through the optical finder for taking the picture, if you'd like to frame with the benefits an optical finder brings. 

To sum up, if you're satisfied with what cannot be changed about the Q2, you're most of the way to a good decision.  

But if you harbor doubts, perhaps based on some loss of flexibility if you went with the Q2, that's perhaps worth paying attention to. 

You already have the M10M, is that correct? You could consider buying or renting a 28mm lens of practically any description, attaching it to the M10M, and then just living with it exclusively for a while. See how that feels. If it's great, or not a problem, you've learned something important. But if it feels like a downgrade, you'll still have your M10M, and it will take all kinds of lenses that may suit your needs better. 

Most of all, you're the photographer. You're using the camera, the camera isn't using you. Don't let the tail wag the dog.

I have a Q2M and love using it. I have no issue with manual focusing and prefer it with most cameras. But the Q2M is fast and easy to use, while adapting easily to many subjects. I last love the image quality. However I am really put off my the software lens corrections. I understand it is part of the design and don’t find the JPEG lens output objectionable. But I prefer to shoot raw files and the embedded corrections in the raw files do not match the JPEG output. The raw corrections look odd to me for most subjects. Since you’re use to M prime lenses I would first make sure the Q2M’s raw geometric corrections are acceptable to you.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks all, good advice. So I’ve taken the plunge and sent the M10M off. I perhaps should have mentioned I tend to shoot 28 elmarit on the m10, with a diopter though it becomes a struggle to peep into the corners to compose. I love the feel and magic of the M10 BUT given I tend to shoot different things…’street art’ where it’s often playing with silhouette (using the evf) or daily life/ portraits of kids I like to get close with a 28, so auto and close focus very handy with moving subjects.

I had a look at the raw correction, it is a bit of a worry but from the examples I found I didn’t feel it a drawback enough to outweigh.

one other big decider is weight, I commute with a laptop and use lunch for photography in London, I found when I had the very beautiful 28 lux the additional weight put me off consistently taking a camera out.

So bye to the M10m (for now), I still have an M3 for the joy of the M lenses…well 50mm ones…..I guess life is full of compromises!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...