Opinions on my sensor after cleaning with Pentax stick ,thanks!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello all.

I've bought my M8 2 years ago, the seller said to me at the moment that the sensor needed to be cleaned cause it has some spots ( yes a LOT)

Ok, today 've received the pentax stick ( ricoh) O-ICK1, and a orbit blower.

I've folowed the procedures, and i've done it 4 times, i mean i've cleaned all the sensor, not just the dust ( just one dust spot), 4 times, and i've tested it after each time.

Is much much better but still has a lot

This is normal?

I've seen all the vids online, and i've read the instructions.......

Wet way to full clean maybe? or need i continue with the stick? here a crop

txs for your opinions

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

This may be something else than dust. If it's sticky, you may take wet cleaning. On the other hand, some of the spots appear to  have haloes which are not characteristic of dust or dirt. The sensor corrosion of the M9 comes to mind.

2 hours ago, Ernstk said:

I don't think that there have ever been any cases of M8 sensor corrosion?

Ernst

None that I know of. However, the dark spots with the light borders are somewhat suggestive, but they could be artefacts due to some postprocessing. What's the climate in Uruguay? Warm and humid?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi, thanks for your anwers.

the camera was bought used in MIami, arround 2013-2014 in a leica store, and was brought to Uruguay.

In 2015 the 2nd owner ( the one who sell it to me) has a shutter failure, and was sent to miami to install a new one.

Here we have 4 seasons, humid, yes, but not as brasil o central america.

I need to say that before cleaning the sensor it had a massive amount of dots, to the point that it disabled sky inclusion when photographing with closed diagrams, here a picture from last february.

Yesterday, i was affraid about the sensor corrosion, but i've never read that it had happeded to a M8, i think the're sticky spots, i'll try 2 more full stick procedures, and if they persist ( i beleave they will) i'll go for wet cleaning...

Some wet cleaning advice? or a good brand of products to use?

I've bought an Orbit hepa blower, that gives me security about clean air.

Thanks for your suggestios, and comments

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I use Sensor Clean brushes for dry cleaning and they work fairly well but there are always a few specks left. If you change lenses often (like I do) then there is always the possibility of dust and pollen settling on the sensor. I will accept some spotting but when it gets bad I then use the Sensor Clean brushes. I don't wet clean any of my sensors.

• Like 1

On 7/12/2023 at 2:45 PM, fabianoliver said:

Some wet cleaning advice?

Sometimes you get oil spots which only wet cleaning will remove (mostly when camera is new or if sensor never been 'wet' cleaned).

Use a quality swab and IPA or a grease clean solution, two or three drops only. It is low risk if you take care. There are plenty of videos on YouTube to help, just be selective ( I would suggest a manufacturer like Visible Dust).

Edited by pedaes
  • Like 1

On 7/12/2023 at 8:45 AM, fabianoliver said:

Hi, thanks for your anwers.

the camera was bought used in MIami, arround 2013-2014 in a leica store, and was brought to Uruguay.

In 2015 the 2nd owner ( the one who sell it to me) has a shutter failure, and was sent to miami to install a new one.

Here we have 4 seasons, humid, yes, but not as brasil o central america.

I need to say that before cleaning the sensor it had a massive amount of dots, to the point that it disabled sky inclusion when photographing with closed diagrams, here a picture from last february.

Yesterday, i was affraid about the sensor corrosion, but i've never read that it had happeded to a M8, i think the're sticky spots, i'll try 2 more full stick procedures, and if they persist ( i beleave they will) i'll go for wet cleaning...

Some wet cleaning advice? or a good brand of products to use?

I've bought an Orbit hepa blower, that gives me security about clean air.

Thanks for your suggestios, and comments

Visible Dust products.

The 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...