Do you shoot B&W in M8 or colour in M8 then transfer B&W in LR

1 minute ago, Brilliant Observer said:

transfer the colour into B&W

Not M8 specific, but shooting a RAW file will enable you to simulate filters using the colour channels, therefore converting in post processing will give more control and options, and a better result.Try NIK Silver Effex.

• Like 1

I usually shoot my M8 in jpeg with Saturation set to B&W.  I treat it as my 'poorman's Monochrom'. ^_^  If I feel a picture might produce a good colour picture I will change to DNG + jpeg with a User Profile I have set up (for convenience and speed of changing over).

I will either process the jpeg in Photoshop or, if I feel a picture needs it, strengthen the picture's B&W look in Silver Efex Pro 2.

Pete.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

For any digital M, not only will DNG increase PP flexibility, but will provide capability to benefit from future editing software improvements. I’ve reprinted old files using later versions of LR (and ImagePrint), which often resulted in noticeable print improvements. Beyond this, I far prefer to use my own PP judgment and rendering goals than to rely on the decisions and limitations imposed by others in the form of JPEGS. Storage is cheap. 

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/30/2023 at 2:26 AM, farnz said:

I usually shoot my M8 in jpeg with Saturation set to B&W.  I treat it as my 'poorman's Monochrom'. ^_^  If I feel a picture might produce a good colour picture I will change to DNG + jpeg with a User Profile I have set up (for convenience and speed of changing over).

I will either process the jpeg in Photoshop or, if I feel a picture needs it, strengthen the picture's B&W look in Silver Efex Pro 2.

Pete.

+1 I shoot JPEG B&W + DNG.  The B&W Jpegs are pretty good already but if I need to adjust then I can do that on the DNG.  The Poor Man's Monochrom is the way I see it too :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tom R said:

I was unaware that the M8 had a setting for JPEG B&W. Is this found under the "Set" menu or the "regular" Menu? 

It's under the regular menu;  under the Color Saturation entry you'll find Black and White as the bottom option. 🙂

Pete.

Edited by farnz

3 hours ago, farnz said:

It's under the regular menu;  under the Color Saturation entry you'll find Black and White as the bottom option. 🙂

Pete.

Interesting. I will try it next time I use that particular camera. Thanks!

• Like 2