Leica Q3 body heat

• stuny changed the title to Leica Q3 body heat
  • 2 months later...
1 minute ago, Doanduy said:

Thank you Axio. i will try your advice. Leica just release new firmware update. I hope the resolve the problem. 

I don't think I can help @Doanduy

My Q3 came with already firmware 1.2 when delivered. I am already using it with LCD off, exactly like I did with the Q2. But the body is significantly warmer, like a little hand warmer.

9 hours ago, Doanduy said:

Hi Eugene Young. 

I got the same problem with you. Can you tell me what problem make your Q3 overheat.

I think the menu setting caused the heat.After setting the menu It came back to normal, but I see that Q3 is a little bit warmer than that of Q and M because of high resolution sensor and evf.

• 1 month later...

Disabled the Power Off function to test how long the battery will last in shooting conditions on the street (with no power down for faster action). Had it sitting for like an hour before touching it agian - and it was warm, really war. not hot, but warm. EVF still shut off after 30 seconds. So what generates the heat?

FYI - heating up on STANDBY issue.

On a recent trip I put my Q3 back in my bag, not releasing that it was still in STANDBY mode (ie. looked like it was off / but not actually turned off).

When I picked up the camera a couple of hours later it was exceptionally hot.  The bag was padded and this had led to a potentially dangerous heat level building up.

This only happened once and did not affect the cameras performance thereafter, but it did concern me greatly as I can't rule out a fire risk.

Consequently I'm much more careful that the camera is turned OFF before stashing it.

I've never noticed this with this any of my other Leica cameras.

• 3 months later...

I have noticed the same issue - even after using Q3 for a little bit, it gets warm. I received the camera yesterday, and it became warm after 10-15 minutes of just setting it up. I went shooting today, using only EVF - the same thing, the lens and the body got warm after 10 or so minutes, especially the bottom part near the battery and the SD card

Does anyone know the cause? Is this normal?

It’s a non issue for me. But I don’t have WiFi/BT/Fotos/Fc or anything else switched on which maybe making the difference. My battery also seems not to lose charge unless the temperature is well below 0C.

12 minutes ago, Le Chef said:

It’s a non issue for me. But I don’t have WiFi/BT/Fotos/Fc or anything else switched on which maybe making the difference. My battery also seems not to lose charge unless the temperature is well below 0C.

I switched off Fotos - the camera is not paired to any device. Does this disable Wifi/BT? I use Fs for focusing. Still, the camera gets warm

57 minutes ago, Zornie said:

I switched off Fotos - the camera is not paired to any device. Does this disable Wifi/BT? I use Fs for focusing. Still, the camera gets warm

It’s a lot of electronics in a small metal body. It’s completely normal.