Summarit 35/50 2.5 hood thread size

tedd

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi gang,

I have a 35mm 2.5 but lost the hood thread protection ring some time ago. I'm wondering if anyone who still has this ring could do me a huge favour and measure it? I'd like to get a hood for this lens but 

1. I'm not paying $300 AUD for the Leica one
  2. I've had those hoods that screw into the filter thread in the past and they bug me

That leaves a 3rd party hood with a compatible female thread as my only option (fingers crossed that one of the X100 hoods fit, though I realise that is a long shot). 

Thanks!

Edited by tedd

Internal diameter of the hood thread is about 41mm or just over. Outside diameter of the threads on the lens is close to 42mm. That said, the pitch, which will be metric, looks like it is 0.75mm but it is difficult to see my guage properly as everything is black and the shape is awkward! As a 0.75mm thread pitch is 'standard' on smaller filters this makes sense. So my measurements are only approximate I'm afraid although my best guess is 42mm OD and .75mm pitch. Hope that this helps. (Oddly 42mm filters don't seem to be available though).

Edited by pgk
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, pgk said:

Internal diameter of the hood thread is about 41mm or just over. Outside diameter of the threads on the lens is close to 42mm. That said, the pitch, which will be metric, looks like it is 0.75mm but it is difficult to see my guage properly as everything is black and the shape is awkward! As a 0.75mm thread pitch is 'standard' on smaller filters this makes sense. So my measurements are only approximate I'm afraid although my best guess is 42mm OD and .75mm pitch. Hope that this helps. (Oddly 42mm filters don't seem to be available though).

Very helpful, thank you! It sounds like you've got the proper tools for this too. I was wondering about the pitch as I lay in bed last night, as that is a term I've heard in the past but never really understood. 

My father is pretty handy and has thread cutters etc, so if I find something 'close enough' he can possibly modify it for me to fit. Thanks again!

• Like 1

Hello tedd,

Welcome to the Forum. "pitch" is the distance from the top of a filter thread to the top of the filter thread next to it.

A "0.75mm" pitch means that for each 360 degree revolution of the filter: The distance apart of the 2 tops of the 1 continuing thread rotating 360 degrees around to the same place will be 0.75mm.

Which means that: If you put a metric ruler at the peak of a 0.75mm pitch thread & measure down, or up, 7,5 millimeters: There should be a count of +10 thread peaks to get to 7.5mm.

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht

10 hours ago, tedd said:

Very helpful, thank you! It sounds like you've got the proper tools for this too. I was wondering about the pitch as I lay in bed last night, as that is a term I've heard in the past but never really understood. 

My father is pretty handy and has thread cutters etc, so if I find something 'close enough' he can possibly modify it for me to fit. Thanks again!

You are welcome. I do have a digital micrometer and thread gauges which are surprisingly useful.

You might also consider an alternative soultion which would be to buy a cheap slightly too large push on hood and use an 'O' ring or similar to fit it in place over the external threads. They will certainly provide good friction to reduce the chance of it coming adrift. The idea of external threads is good but in practice it isn't always as effective as it might be.

Personally I'd probably look at a short Heliopan round hood and fit this over a filter (it is a screw in hood); a plastic cap will then fit onto this hood. Its a solution I might try myself. FWIW Summarit lenses are often offered for sale without their hoods and ones with hoods do go for a premium. I do wonder if the hoods are prone to unscrewing and coming off. Sellers offering the hood alone are asking silly money.