Summarit 35 Lens Hood

Julius Bjornsson

Advertisement (gone after registration)

HI there all.

I just got a Summarit 35, and so far the lens appears to be very nice. HOwever there are two things I really do not like about it.

The first one is the external thread for the lens hood and the protection ring for that. Now I am sure that I will loose the protection ring.

The second is the lens hood which screws onto this external thread. What annoys me is that there does not appear to be any way to fasten the hood. I am not afraid of loosing it, but what happens is that it does not stay in place but rotates. really annoying and if anyone know how to fasten it, that would be great. I would have liked to have the same construction as the 28 Elmarit Asp.

Any suggestions appreciated.

No, there is no rubber ring, just a small notch which stops the hood in the correct position, but the problem is it does not stay there, at least not mine and if I do not take care and check before taking a picture I get some rather annoying shadows. Maybe a very fine rubber ring would solve the problem? I might try that.

• 1 year later...
Same problem here. How did you fix it?

I went into a shop selling nuts and bolts and such with the rubber ring from the lens and got another one the same size and a little bit thicker and now the hood stays completely in place. And it cost nothing, the guy in the shop gave it to me. You meet nice people sometimes along the way and it is the little things in life that are sometimes great. So the hood is very nice now.

I had this lens + hood and sold it after buying a used Summilux Asph.

My solution to the rotating hood issue was to take a black rubber band (diameter of about 7cm and thickness of about 5mm), slide it over the aperture ring very carefully, install the hood and the carefully move the band so that it covered the base of the hood and the area right in front of the aperture ring about equally.

Only problem with this solution was that the hood pretty much lived on the lens from that point on.

Hope this helps.

Since pretty well time immemorial, quality cameras like Rolleiflex and Hasselblad have used bayonet-mount hoods (and in these two cases, also bayonet filters).

Zeiss ZM lenses all have bayonet-mount hoods. Even the lenses that Cosina sell under the Voigtländer name are beginniong to appear with front bayonets, and hoods to fit. If Cosina can fit bayonets into their clearly very tightly controlled production budgets, why then must Leica, of all people, opt for such a barely functional, 'cheapie' solution as screw-in hoods with a clearly tacky positioning system for the rectangular hoods?

Admittedly, the snap-on hoods, with a fastening system that goes back to the 1950's, was a clumsy solution, especially on short lenses. But replacing it with what we are now seeing, is a very bad idea indeed. It is just barely acceptable for cylindrical hoods, that can simply be screwed tight without any orientation problems. But for 18mm, 21mm, 24mm, 35mm, even 50mm --- no, no, NO! Fix bayonets! And if you must, Charge!

The old man from the Age of Push-On Hoods

Hi had (have) the same lens and problem. Solution was to wrap the thread with a small amount of plumbers PTFE tape. The hood now fits very snugly. This was to be a short term solution until I bought another “rubber ring” but I’ve ended up leaving like that as it works and you cant see the tape when the hood is on.

Peter

• 14 years later...