Bye Bye Leica

logan2z

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, Ouroboros said:

Mediocre, hard-up photographer announces he is selling some lenses because he needs some cash.

Heated debate breaks out on a forum between grown-ups about one brand of lenses vs other brands.

Protagonists become increasingly bitter and bent out of shape with each other because their forum-level opinions are being challenged by equally valid forum-level opinions.

Meanwhile, our rosy-cheeked, croaky hand-waving hero without a script is busy planning his next missive about nothing much at all as the forum debate about nothing much at all rages.
Elsewhere,  people are suffering and dying whilst those who will never need to soil their hands scrabbling through rubble in search of their crushed, burnt, murdered and fragmented loved ones wait to be told how to spend their money on nothing much at all.

Call this photography? Something has gone wrong. 

Mediocre, hard-up photographer announces he is selling some lenses because he needs some cash.

Err no. That is not what the video is about. Glamour photography, mostly based in Eastern Europe, is not my cup of tea, but the guy actually takes professional looking portraits, while most of the other popular YouTubers hardly ever show their work, and if they do it's a photo of a dead leaf on a road, 'cool' because it was shot on expired film, or a barely usable early digital point and shoot they picked up for $5.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Leitz. said:

Well, he had some older versions of the Leica lenses and replaced them with the Voigtlander modern equivalents. 

He regularly borrows the latest Leica gear from their store in London. He has in the past compared the gear he owns and uses with the best new Leica gear. He often LOVES the new Leica gear, but says he can't justify owning it. he's actually very fair IMO. 

He uses an SL (1), he borrowed the SL2 when it came out, compared it to his SL1 and concluded the improvements didn't make enough difference for HIM!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Einst_Stein said:

Why don't you do it yourself? It's very easy. Buy both, and returned the one you don't like. 

First, if I can't afford a $5000 lens, there is no point buying it in the first place. Secondly, the whole buying multiple things knowing you are going to return most of them is bad for the planet.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Chris W said:

but says he can't justify owning it. he's actually very fair IMO. 

That’s right. If anything he’s very fair. Seems to be anyway. Seems like if he thinks it’s worth having thousands tied up on a lens for his work he will. Like with his Summilux. He always seems quite practical. I leave him comments often.

I have considered changing my Ultron II for the Elmarit or the Summaron. I want the Summaron but logic tells me Elmarit. 

Edited by Leitz.
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Chris W said:

No, that isn't right. First as I said, you only need a decent deposit to get a mortgage (to buy a house). Secondly, if anyone ACTUALLY watched the video, he's just documenting the Leica lenses he's replaced with Voigtlander over a period of time. he isn't selling a bunch of Leica lenses this week. The line about the house is a humorous quip. It's the kind of thing people say to make videos more entertaining. Ig=f he was serious he would also sell his large collection of film cameras, vintage cameras and medium format.

Sounds like messy narrative in the video. I watch him periodically, usually he is very adequate. 

We have purchased and sold almost dozen of homes, while family was growing, relocating. In fact, you only need decent job and good mortgage broker, deposit is just a figure corresponding how much less mortgage payment is going to be, if at all.   For example, average detached home in GTA (Toronto area) is around 1 million USD now. 100K or 200K deposit makes no difference on biweekly, monthly payments. 

Oh, according to his modeling pictures with cameras, he got bunch of FEDs and Pentaxes. It might be large, but worthless. :) 

13 hours ago, Ouroboros said:

Ohhh.  😀 He’s a nice guy. His portraits are actually quite good. 

It’s basically a summary of older model lenses he replaced over a period of time, with new Voigtlander lenses as a tip for people who want to buy M-mount lenses. 

At this point he has made so many M lens videos that he has put together the best M lens resource on YouTube. If you want to know something about an M lens it’s probably on that channel. That takes a LOT of work. 

13 hours ago, Ouroboros said:

Heated debate breaks out on a forum between grown-ups about one brand of lenses vs other brands.

It’s a forum. Everything is a debate. 

Edited by Leitz.
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 2/27/2023 at 9:43 AM, SoarFM said:

Here’s a good rule of thumb. The value of the gear in your camera bag should not exceed the value of your car that you place it in.

The corollary to that is never own a car where a ding here and there from the parking lot drive you mad. Apply same principle to your cameras.

The above does not apply to collector cars or cameras—which I don’t have.

I also admit that if I take all my gear it will exceed the value of my car. Whether I have too much gear or too little car is the question.

Haha that's a terrible rule of thumb, any automobile that goes basic transportation is a lifestyle choice. An automobile (beyond certain collector cars) should be thought of as a prepaid expense. 

You missed my point by a mile.

When you start your point by calling someone “mediocre” I sort of immediately dismiss the point you were trying to make in the first place. 

He’s just a nice guy trying to make a living on YouTube. That’s a hard racket. 

and saying “bye bye Leica” in a Leica forum is going to create debate. 

As long as we refrain from calling anyone “mediocre” or taking things personally when we are just talking about camera gear then we can have a debate. 

Edited by Leitz.
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Not sure i would consider nice a guy presenting himself as Mr. Leica and making a living with this name while getting rid of Leica products to vaunt those of competitors. I would feel the same if he were to indulge this way at the expense of Cosina. Not a guy i would like to work with but it's just me.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, lct said:

Not sure i would consider nice a guy presenting himself as Mr. Leica and making a living with this name while getting rid of Leica products to vaunt those of competitors. I would feel the same if he were to indulge this way at the expense of Cosina. Not a guy i would like to work with but it's just me.

There’s no greater Leica resource on YouTube than his channel. His channel has more useful information about Leica than the Leica channel. 

Also he presents a healthy attitude to being a Leica shooter and embracing all sorts of lenses from very old to new. Leica or not. 

I also agree now that he is doing this full time, he should change that title to Matt Osbourne. These sort of YouTube channel names are quite out of fashion.

Edited by Leitz.
  • Like 2

On 2/27/2023 at 11:24 AM, 84bravo said:

I buy my cars new and on the economy end of models and run them until the wheels fall off. I buy my Leica camera gear used (generally speaking) and use them professionally. My current daily driver car is worth less than $1000. My daily working camera bag is worth about $40k +.

4 hours ago, jpto said:

Haha that's a terrible rule of thumb, any automobile that goes basic transportation is a lifestyle choice. An automobile (beyond certain collector cars) should be thought of as a prepaid expense. 

I didn't mean to offend anyones sensibilities. 

1 hour ago, Jeff S said:

Many might suggest otherwise… Red Dot Forum (Camera Talk series), mathphotographer, and various others.

Jeff

Those are good channels, but Leica M mount lenses are made by others, and also other lenses that are good adapted to Leica. He has information that others don’t. 

Red Dot is fine, but their information is quite empty IMO. You don’t get samples and comparisons and detailed information. It’s all very general talking. 

For example, if I wanted to get a 28mm Leica lens and I didn’t know which and how it compares to non-Leica 28mm lenses this video is a 2 hour rant that doesn’t really tell me what I want to know. Other than putting them next to each other, there’s really nothing here. They tell you other information you can easily read on the internet and it doesn’t take 2 hours.

Most of the time they spend talking about lens hoods, lens caps, and how big the lenses are compared to each other. They also talk about how much space the lens takes up in your bag. And this one and that one is sharper. All talk. I don’t know who can get through this video  …hats off if you can…

Matt’s video however tells me exactly what I wanted to know with detailed samples and broken up into various videos. What other channel has all this information and detailed real world samples and comparing all of them? 

Edited by Leitz.
  • Like 8

5 hours ago, Jeff S said:

Many might suggest otherwise… Red Dot Forum (Camera Talk series), mathphotographer, and various others.

Jeff

Let's face it, 99% of Leica themed Youtube channels are in the pocket of Leica. You can't run a camera gear review channel if no one will lend you the gear to review.

I've stopped watching all the channels that post their review videos the same hour a new Leica product is announced.

When the M11 was announced all the same reviewers posted 'review' videos when they had been loaned an M11 for a few hours in Manhattan. It's really insulting to our intelligence to expect people to spend $10k on a system someone had spent two hours with before posting their glowing review.

I'm not subbed to Mr Leica. His videos often pop up in my Youtube feed however. He's pretty level headed, not generally hyped, and very honest about his opinions.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, jpto said:

One the one hand this is terrible advice: I don’t drive and therefore don’t have a car. I will need to sell all my cameras. 

One the other hand, my wife has an enormously expensive car so I have considerable room to buy a lot of Leica gear!

Guess which approach I’ll take 😂

10 hours ago, Leitz. said:

There’s no greater Leica resource on YouTube than his channel. His channel has more useful information about Leica than the Leica channel. 

This is partially valid statement. Because it is great channel for those who are not willing of using search line and just for easy digestion.

But it might just me, using search function to get my job done. 

I'm subscribed to his channel to have entertainment via slightly odd presentation of something I already know. He is well mattered person, who interacts. This makes his channel as great YT channel without any brand name attached.

BTW, YT is owned by Google.

I always start my search from Google page, not YT. By doing of this I have access to much more entries. :)

7 hours ago, Leitz. said:

Red Dot is fine, but their information is quite empty IMO. You don’t get samples and comparisons and detailed information. It’s all very general talking. 

They also spend a lot of time in many videos testing Leica lenses against each other… in studio by David (teddy bears and such) and test charts Josh shoots, etc.  

But it’s all just entertainment for me…all the YouTube stuff, and even this forum as well.   If I’m interested in buying gear, I rely solely on my own shooting and printing experience… via demo, rental, purchase with return policy, etc. Tests and pictures by others don’t matter to me… far too many personal workflow variables involved. No different than my film days, long before YouTube and forums.

Jeff

• Like 1