Astrophotography

Start at space.com's guide to astrophotography: https://www.space.com/astrophotography-for-beginners-guide, including basic helpful tips such as use a remote shutter release, and less basic tips such as the rule of 500: divide 500 by the focal length of your lens. If you have a 20-mm lens, then 500 / 20 = 25. You can shoot for 25 seconds on a tripod before the stars start to streak.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jrethorst said:

Start at space.com's guide to astrophotography: https://www.space.com/astrophotography-for-beginners-guide, including basic helpful tips such as use a remote shutter release, and less basic tips such as the rule of 500: divide 500 by the focal length of your lens. If you have a 20-mm lens, then 500 / 20 = 25. You can shoot for 25 seconds on a tripod before the stars start to streak.

Thank you, that’s good advice I will it out, I'm in a pretty dark area and not much light pollution. My only concern was the d lux 7 being a Compact camera  it might not be up to the challenge but I will give it my best go, thanks so much 

• 5 months later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 hours ago, Jurgi said:

Hi Georged,

I wondered how you managed taking photos of the Milky Way, and whether you could share the settings of the camera.

Cheers!

Jurgi

Hi Jurgi 

As it happens I only just took my first shots of the Milky Way this week. I was pleasantly surprised with the results. 

My settings were: 

Raw 

AWB ( as I can edit in post later it being raw)

3200 ISO

F 1.7 

Shutter 20.0 s

0 EV

As it’s  compact camera it far exceeded my expectations, I’m still yet to get round to editing it properly in Lightroom as just from a little playing around I can see it will come out quite well. 

I used the app PhotoPills to plan the shot which with the help of argumented reality really helped me get set up.

I hope this helps!