Protective filter for 28mm f/5.6 Summaron re-issue

26 minutes ago, BigBabyEarl said:

Picking this back up. Is there a filter that works best and also allows the cap? Or is it only cap/clean vs filter/ no cap? I’d rather not use the hood as I think it looks so clean and compact without. Love the lens. 

Might be easier to find a cap that fits the filter than a filter that fits the cap. If the filter has a front thread, there are generic 34mm clip-on caps. Otherwise, you might try a push-on cap like those made by Kaiser, if the filter ring is deep enough to retain a cap.

I used this with my summaron. It's super thin, schott glass and allowed for use of the cap.  Would've been nicer if it was silver.  Have to order from Japan.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, lifeandmylens said:

I used this with my summaron. It's super thin, schott glass and allowed for use of the cap.  Would've been nicer if it was silver.  Have to order from Japan.

What brand?

9 minutes ago, Huss said:

Is it multi-coated?

This is what it says

“It is a U-N original Ains super protect filter for classic lenses that pursues thinness without limit (1.2 mm thickness when installed).
Using glass made by the world-famous glass manufacturer SCHOTT, water-repellent/oil-proof coat and ink-inking on the outer circumference of the lens have been applied to suppress the reflectance to 0.3% or less.
The design is finished in a filter that adopts a nostalgic classic shape. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lifeandmylens said:

This is what it says

It is a U-N original Ains super protect filter for classic lenses that pursues thinness without limit (1.2 mm thickness when installed).
Using glass made by the world-famous glass manufacturer SCHOTT, water-repellent/oil-proof coat and ink-inking on the outer circumference of the lens have been applied to suppress the reflectance to 0.3% or less.
The design is finished in a filter that adopts a nostalgic classic shape. 

U.N is the company that makes these - the 'Meister' on the filter box is one of their brands, and 'Eins' seems to be what they call the Super Protect filter range. The 34mm UNX-9620 is here:

https://www.un-ltd.co.jp/unx-9616unx-9626-en/

Does it fit the original cap that comes with the re-issued Summaron, or did you need to buy another cap? Looks like the filter doesn't have a front thread, so clip-on caps like the CamDesign mentioned above won't work.

Incidentally, U.N make a lot of other nice accessories, many of which aren't widely available outside Japan. Their founder Mr.Sanai Sano apparently invented the blower brush ('The rubber shape of the blower brush was inspired by a compact taken out by a geisha who happened to be sitting in front of him when he took a bus on his way to a hot spring in Hakone.'). They also make what I think is the only metal ABLON-style film cutter guide currently in production.

Edited by Anbaric

1 hour ago, Anbaric said:

U.N is the company that makes these - the 'Meister' on the filter box is one of their brands, and 'Eins' seems to be what they call the Super Protect filter range. The 34mm UNX-9620 is here:

https://www.un-ltd.co.jp/unx-9616unx-9626-en/

Does it fit the original cap that comes with the re-issued Summaron, or did you need to buy another cap? Looks like the filter doesn't have a front thread, so clip-on caps like the CamDesign mentioned above won't work.

Incidentally, U.N make a lot of other nice accessories, many of which aren't widely available outside Japan. Their founder Mr.Sanai Sano apparently invented the blower brush ('The rubber shape of the blower brush was inspired by a compact taken out by a geisha who happened to be sitting in front of him when he took a bus on his way to a hot spring in Hakone.'). They also make what I think is the only metal ABLON-style film cutter guide currently in production.

Thank you for that info. I have several of their filters and like how thin they are.  From my recollection it fit just fine with the summaron cap (I no longer have the summaron even though I really like the lens).

However, the are no front filter threads as you mentioned and it’s so thin that you need to be careful not to tighten it too tight or it might be difficult to unscrew. 

I’ll see if I have a picture of the lens with the filter on it. 

10 hours ago, lifeandmylens said:

I’ll see if I have a picture of the lens with the filter on it. 

• Like 2