Protective filter for 28mm f/5.6 Summaron re-issue

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Which 34mm filter (don’t want step ring, etc.) do you recommend as protection of the front element of the 28mm 5.6 Summaron re-issue?

Or is it so recessed, that it isn’t really necessary?

Thanks,

Mads

Depends what kind of protection you want. Hoods are probably more effective than filters for impact protection, and the recessed design of this lens would be equivalent to a short hood. What it won't stop is stuff getting on the front element like wind-blown grit or rain. If you shoot in conditions where that's likely to be an issue, and you'd rather clean a filter rather than the front element, then you may want to consider using one. Heliopan seems to be one of the few companies making a filter in this size with modern multicoating that should reduce flare when shooting into the light (additional flare is the main issue with filters, especially if they are uncoated or single-coated).

4 hours ago, Musky said:

My summicron’s element is so recessed I don’t see the point in putting a filter on it. The Summaron is not only recessed but the element is so tiny the probability of anything happening to it is 0.001%. 

There's a big wide world beyond your sofa.  Spend 10 minutes outdoors in the Outer Hebrides with an unprotected 28mm summaron-m and you'd understand the folly of trying to pass dubious personal opinion off as fact.

100%.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

The Summaron is my main lens. I don't have a filter on it. I usually mount the hood, which provides decent protection but makes the setup more bulky. Lately I've tried to be a bit more minimalistic, and have been going around with only the tiny lens itself, sans hood, and slipping on the lens cap when I'm done shooting for a period. I don't feel the element is particularly susceptible to being scratched or smudged, but there's certainly a real chance of doing so.

My biggest issue is that the stepped rings around the element (I guess you'd say the glare reduction?) tend to collect dust, and are fairly difficult to clean casually. After seeing that link to the Heliopan filter, I think I'm buying one, both to avoid the dust and to feel more confident that the lovely little lens won't be damaged.

46 minutes ago, Ouroboros said:

There's a big wide world beyond your sofa.  Spend 10 minutes outdoors in the Outer Hebrides with an unprotected 28mm summaron-m and you'd understand the folly of trying to pass dubious personal opinion off as fact.

100%.

Just made the order for a Heliopan UV filter - better safe than sorry, and easier to clean too. 👍🏻

Love your landscapes with the 28:5.6 👌🏻

Advertisement (gone after registration)

23 minutes ago, mcpallesen said:

Just made the order for a Heliopan UV filter - better safe than sorry, and easier to clean too. 👍🏻

Love your landscapes with the 28:5.6 👌🏻

Note that you can also use the hood with the filter if you put the hood on first, then carefully and lightly screw in the filter to the lens inside the hood, being careful not to cross-thread the filter.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, hdmesa said:

Note that you can also use the hood with the filter if you put the hood on first, then carefully and lightly screw in the filter to the lens inside the hood, being careful not to cross-thread the filter.

Thanks, never use the hood though. Prefer to keep it more compact, but good to know, it is possible to use hood and filter in tandem.

7 hours ago, Ouroboros said:

100%.

Very much agreed with this

i have the heliopan uv too but recently swapped with silver marumi just for aesthetics reason 😂

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Musky said:

I agree with it also but extreme shooting conditions is not everyday shooting conditions. Unless that’s what you do for a living of course. The likelihood of this lens needing a filter for every day shooting is basically 0. 

YMMV of course. 

Filter for my case, at least protecting the front element from moist n debris, i never wipe the glass, only the filter and i never use cap, hence my filter and that can be considered  everyday shooting scenario

Edited by jakontil
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, jakontil said:

Filter for my case, at least protecting the front element from moist n debris, i never wipe the glass, only the filter and i never use cap, hence my filter and that can be considered  everyday shooting scenario

same! this way I never worry about cap / hood or scratching the lens, etc. Only reason why I use filters. By the way, mapcamera has original filters made for the summaron, not sure if they ship internationally though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, shirubadanieru said:

same! this way I never worry about cap / hood or scratching the lens, etc. Only reason why I use filters. By the way, mapcamera has original filters made for the summaron, not sure if they ship internationally though.

Nice! Gonna look into it, thanks mate

Incidentally, there's some useful information in an earlier thread:

I think the thing about 0.5 vs 0.75 thread pitch may be a red herring (0.5mm is and has always been the standard thread pitch for 34mm filters as far as I know, though of course there might be other versions out there). But one worth knowing is that the reissue lens appears to have a slightly larger diameter than the original, so that A36 slip-on accessories (including filters) that are compatible with the old lens won't work with the new one.

17 hours ago, Ouroboros said:

100%.

Also the same amount of time it took me to pick up a tiny chip in the front element of an 50:2.8 elmar-m, when the wind picked up after a screw in filter had fallen off.

Rough luck, but made me realise that my decision to always use protective filters is the right one 

• Like 1

The description of the Tiffen doesn't claim it's coated, so I'd assume it isn't. If so, it's likely to flare significantly when shooting into the light, as in this test of a basic UV filter from the same brand:

https://www.lenstip.com/113.24-article-UV_filters_test_Tiffen_72mm_UV.html

The SH-PMC multicoated Heliopan does better:

https://www.lenstip.com/113.12-article-UV_filters_test_Heliopan_ES_72mm_UV-0_SH-PMC.html

though the multicoated versions of the B+W and Hoya filters were the best of all (it's a shame they don't seem to be available in 34mm). The full comparison is here:

https://www.lenstip.com/113.1-article-UV_filters_test_Introduction.html

I would ignore the UV absorption ratings, which probably aren't relevant to most of us, and just look at the flare comparisons (note that filter companies may have several ranges, not all of which are multicoated, or have an additional 'easy clean' layer). The multicoated Marumi filters also do pretty well, so could be a good option if the 34mm is available with these coatings. It is in any case worth doing your own flare tests with and without the filter, as that review is from 2009 and coatings may be upgraded over time. Some recent ranges, like Hoya HD, also weren't available when the test was done (they probably perform like HMC/Pro-1, but are easier to clean). B+W also now have a 'Nano' version of their MRC multicoating.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/2/2023 at 2:53 AM, jakontil said:

Very much agreed with this

i have the heliopan uv too but recently swapped with silver marumi just for aesthetics reason 😂

I just bought a Summaron 28, hopefully I will receive it next week. I was thinking about adding an Heliopan multi coated filter but I've seen you mentioning the Marumi. Is it multi-coated too? I've only seen a simple version with UV written on it and it appears to be only single coated. Sure it's silver so it should be better 😂

55 minutes ago, Sharpdressed said:

I just bought a Summaron 28, hopefully I will receive it next week. I was thinking about adding an Heliopan multi coated filter but I've seen you mentioning the Marumi. Is it multi-coated too? I've only seen a simple version with UV written on it and it appears to be only single coated. Sure it's silver so it should be better 😂

🤣 i think it was UV, i didnt pay attention how it was coated.. as long as it is silver it's good enough for me... mainly i shoot summaron for pleasure like street and stuff... not being too mathematically specific bout the image come out... im happy, my summaron looks cool and filtered 😂