Airport Security Blacklist

Ouroboros

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This is what I meant with 'damaged'. I take it that these figures 14 and 7 do not stem from Cinestill's  production, it's the 50Daylight

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by otto.f
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, otto.f said:

This is what I meant with 'damaged'. I take it that these figures 14 and 7 do not stem from Cinestill's  production, it's the 50Daylight

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Cinestill is not a film manufacturer. Who knows what has happen to the film stock prior to loading?

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, grahamc said:

Melbourne Airport Terminal 4 (domestic 😳)

Smiths CT scanners. Policy is fill must go through the machine.  Concerning !

(I was travelling with M10 only but asked the attendant about film)

Could you please elaborate a little on what was said.

Last time I traveled with film was 2019 and was granted hand scan at Melbourne Airport, departing international. There were already CT scanners in use then … 

1 hour ago, Mute-on said:

Could you please elaborate a little on what was said.

Last time I traveled with film was 2019 and was granted hand scan at Melbourne Airport, departing international. There were already CT scanners in use then … 

It was quite a quick interaction but went like this

Attendant: “leave everything in the bags , no need to take anything out” 

G (holding M10-D) “ just for next time, what happens with camera film, can you hand inspect it  ?”

attendant: it has to go through the machine 

G: really , has to go through ?

attendant : “yes”

If carrying film I would’ve debated it a bit further but I didn’t take film because I’m due a rest from arguing with security attendants :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, lmans said:

From my understanding..... if the film is 400 and below (maybe 800?)...the scanner shouldn't effect it...correct? 

I don't think that works for CT scanners, only the older types. I gather not even lead bags work for the CT scanners, but perhaps someone could clarify that?

3 hours ago, grahamc said:

It was quite a quick interaction but went like this

Attendant: “leave everything in the bags , no need to take anything out” 

G (holding M10-D) “ just for next time, what happens with camera film, can you hand inspect it  ?”

attendant: it has to go through the machine 

G: really , has to go through ?

attendant : “yes”

If carrying film I would’ve debated it a bit further but I didn’t take film because I’m due a rest from arguing with security attendants :) 

Thank you. I’m sincerely hoping this one exchange was not representative of a blanket response. I would expect the default response to be “it has to go through” before any exceptions are contemplated.  If not, my film only international trips have just ended. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mute-on said:

Thank you. I’m sincerely hoping this one exchange was not representative of a blanket response. I would expect the default response to be “it has to go through” before any exceptions are contemplated.  If not, my film only international trips have just ended. 

Yes, I agree.

This is consistent with my experience and one would really hope to be the case with CT scanners.  

My experience has been that as soon as you question/refuse the direction , the attendant asks a supervisor to come over . usually with nice results. Obviously this interaction didn't get that far as I didn't have film

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, stray cat said:

I don't think that works for CT scanners, only the older types. I gather not even lead bags work for the CT scanners, but perhaps someone could clarify that?

I passed my 400 film through a lot of older scanners recently (although in a protective DOMKE bag).  The scanning had no effect on film and a Kodak article I read said film would need to pass through 10 scans (without protective bag) before any noticeable degradation . So my approach was to request and check, but not be too dissapointed if it was refused as long as I placed the films in the bag.  I was comfortable enough with this that by the end of the trip I had stopped requesting hand checks .   Definitely no impact on the images when developed. 

On the same trip, I passed a test roll through a CT scanner and shot/developed when I got home. The results were terrible - banding was apparent (although not on every frame) but generally the film was cloudy and of poor quality.   Everything I have read says that lead bags will not help .

On 2 recent long trips and circa 15 airports I've only seen CT scanners twice, but can see it being a big problem in the future 

Edited by grahamc
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
Am 22.1.2023 um 16:00 schrieb otto.f:

Rotterdam - Tenerife: Rotterdam allows hand inspection, Tenerife was very strict: CT-scanned, film damaged. 

I went from Tenerife to Hamburg yesterday - was already alerted by your post and had put my (exposed) films in a clear bag with the original Kodak "do not CT scan" labels (which I think helped). The crew at Tenerife airport explained that the scan would be completely safe, but was at the same time very friendly and helpful and agreed to hand-check. Went away smiling and thanked the crew for making this possible 👍

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Alexander-HH said:

I went from Tenerife to Hamburg yesterday - was already alerted by your post and had put my (exposed) films in a clear bag with the original Kodak "do not CT scan" labels (which I think helped). The crew at Tenerife airport explained that the scan would be completely safe, but was at the same time very friendly and helpful and agreed to hand-check. Went away smiling and thanked the crew for making this possible 👍

It just depends whom you get I'm sure. I developed a film that went with me to Tenerife, but was exposed later at home. It was a Rollei 400 IR and had the same spots as the Cinestill that was exposed in Tenerife

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, George Stoichev said:

I’ll travel soon to Vienna.Does somebody know wether at Vienna’s airport allow hand check?

According to some random poster on Reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/AnalogCommunity/comments/10wr7kk/ct_scanners_at_heathrow_t2_vienna_and_zurich/

'Vienna Terminal 3 (the one you have to go to the first floor to use) doesn't have CT, but Terminal 1 (the adjacent Terminal that has a very modern white interior) does. This is up to date to January 2023.'

If you are passing through Terminal 1, you might want to contact the airport first and get something in writing from them about hand checks.

On 12/7/2022 at 1:10 PM, stray cat said:

May I suggest that if people know of an airport that uses the CT scanners, that they could alert us here to them? 

Online information seems to be patchy but there are some sites that identify those airports eg https://www.airportsinternational.com/ct-scanners and https://www.latimes.com/business/story/2022-03-18/tsa-scanners-carry-on-bag but of course these things change constantly so any personal experience would really help.

London City Airport (LCY) - one of my faves.

I've just found out that two of the three international airports I'll be visiting on my upcoming trip - Doha Hamad and Milan Malpensa - are using CT scanners.

I decided a few weeks ago to have most of the film I anticipate I'll use - 15 rolls of Portra 400 - sent to someone we'll be meeting up with in Italy. I'll carry three rolls of Portra with me and hope I can have those rolls hand inspected. Used rolls I'll send to Carmencita Lab in Spain (unless someone can recommend another good lab) and have them send me back the processed negatives to here in Australia.

I'll report back.

12 hours ago, stray cat said:

I'm guessing this is said tongue-in-cheek?

Not at all. Easy to get in and out of (if the Tube isn't on strike), fares to the Continent tend to be cheaper than flights from Heathrow, and the western approach to the airport is a blast to fly (they hook a sharp right at the Shard). Just don't carry any film.

• Thanks 1

I'm going to Asia this fall; leaving from LAX (Los Angeles) which allow hand checking of film.  Does anyone know of any issues with Haneda or Narita in Tokyo or Incheon in Seoul?  I really want to bring a fully CLA'd/rebuilt Nikon F2 with a DP-12 finder back to it's birthplace as my only camera shooting color (Portra 400 or 160).  Consigning my M10 Mono and Q2 soon so will mostly be shooting film.