Airport Security Blacklist

Ouroboros

From my experience so far.

Melbourne Airport T1. On the flip side, they still use the old planar scanners. The bad side, they have monkeys manning them. The operator was like “its Ok bro, nothing will happen” when wanting to scan P3200. Didn’t help that some random Qantas lady also going through chimed in and encouraged him to scan it because they had another dude ask for a hand scan yesterday and they should refuse cuz film cannot be damaged. RIP P3200 roll.

T3 Melbourne had slightly smarter monkeys equipped with CT scanners. Insisted all ISO 800 film or under goes through the CT, no exceptions. However, they did agree to hand check P3200 or ISO 1600 type films. So you basically surrender the high ISO rolls for hand check, everything else gets scanned.

Perth International and Domestic airport have CT scanners but is hands down the best on respecting film. They even proactively ask you to hand over your film for hand checking when they see the cartridges. They also happily hand check your loaded cameras too. Professional and efficient everyime. Perth locals are treated even better 

Kalgoorlie airport use planar scanners and will scan everything unless you declare it as medical film which they weirdly will exempt.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I have a multi-stop trip coming up so have just reached out to 11 airports Customer Service asking if they have CT scanners , and their policy on film.

I'll be surprised if they all respond but if they do I'll hopefully be posting in the whitelist but will link here 

This includes infamous Heathrow, Melbourne, as well as Gatwick whose online policy states film needs to pass through unless over ISO400 .. however I think this refers to old scanners and has not been updated.

I figured it will be good to travel with a response in writing from the airport.  Unless of course they say film must pass through, in which case it's M10-D for me. !

Cheers

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

First response out of the gate (below) comes from Heathrow.  Obviously a very old response and we hope that this means Heathrow is not yet using CT.

I've responded asking for clarification that CT scanners are NOT installed.    If they aren't then I'm actually fine with this (only a combination of CT Scanner + No hand check worries me).   

Especially with a DOMKE bag I am fine with ISO400 film passing through older scanners (my film passed through many old scanners this way last trip and was fine).  

"Dear grahamc ,

Thank you for getting in touch with us about your upcoming journey through Heathrow Airport.

I can understand your concerns about taking film through security. We can confirm, however, that independent tests undertaken by the British Photographers' Liaison Committee (BPLC) to establish the detail of any potential damage to film caused by baggage screening machines at airports have given the all-clear to the current hand-luggage x-ray inspection systems installed at Heathrow.

These findings confirm that hand-luggage security scanning machinery is safe for all normal film types (up to and including ISO 400). Current digital camera storage media can also safely be examined by these x-ray machines without sustaining damage.

If you are carrying professional film rated ISO 800 or faster, you can request the film be searched by alternative means. We will accommodate this where possible but this cannot be guaranteed. Please bring any documentary proof of the film rating with you. We also recommend that you leave extra time to pass through security as additional screening requirements may be required.

Thank you again for taking the time to write to us, if you could please confirm the type and amount of film you have. As well as any additional information such as your full name and what time you expect to be passing through terminal security I can then inform our security team of your arrival"

Edited by grahamc
  • Thanks 1

Heathrow informed that the terminal I am travelling (Terminal 5) does have 'some' CT scanners however they are trialling and not yet fully in use because staff need to be trained etc.   When pressed on whether a different policy is in place for these scanners, the response: 

"Hi Graham,

A hand inspection will certainly be available on request. Film below ISO 800 are typically fine to pass through the scanners currently in place at the airport, but you always have the right to request a hand search instead if you are uncomfortable with this.

Simply let a member of the security team know you would like your film to be hand-searched instead of scanned when you arrive at the security queue. 

Please be advised that if a member of security staff needs to be made available to do this, there might be an additional wait involved while one becomes available. As such, we would advise allowing extra time at security to accommodate this."

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, grahamc said:

Heathrow informed that the terminal I am travelling (Terminal 5) does have 'some' CT scanners however they are trialling and not yet fully in use because staff need to be trained etc.   When pressed on whether a different policy is in place for these scanners, the response: 

"Hi Graham,

A hand inspection will certainly be available on request. Film below ISO 800 are typically fine to pass through the scanners currently in place at the airport, but you always have the right to request a hand search instead if you are uncomfortable with this.

Simply let a member of the security team know you would like your film to be hand-searched instead of scanned when you arrive at the security queue. 

Please be advised that if a member of security staff needs to be made available to do this, there might be an additional wait involved while one becomes available. As such, we would advise allowing extra time at security to accommodate this."

You have a right to request, and they have the right to refuse. At Heathrow, they exercise that right with gusto.

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

Last year I had a connection at Qatar's Hamad International Airport where they had Smiths CT scanners. I didn't realise at the time that they were the new CT scanners. I was refused a hand check so I let it be scanned in a domke lead bag. When developing the film I noticed the film was grainier than usual and the colours looked off, and upon a quick google search could see that they installed the Smiths CT scanners a few years ago.

• Thanks 1

On 6/8/2023 at 4:14 AM, grahamc said:

"Hi Graham,

There are a couple of CT scanners at the T5 North security checkpoint. What is apparently slowing the installation of the others (Heathrow is under a mandate from HMG to install them by June 2024) is the need to reinforce the floor first. CT scanners are big and heavy appliances. The dedicated security checkpoint in the First Wing of T5 still uses a svelte Rapiscan machine.

Dublin Terminal 1 apparently has the same problem with its floors.

I'd print the email response you got from Heathrow and take it with you, at least you'll have something to wave at them when the inevitable arises.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Dresden airport refused to hand check my film last week.  Going by their look, I think their machines are conventional (not CT).  They are claimed to be film safe up to ISO 10,000 (sic!). The staff did let me introduce all my film (about 16 rolls of 120 and a couple of 35mm) into the x-ray machine enveloped in my lead Domke bags (three of them of different sizes, one inside the other, so a triple layer). I asked and they said they could see nothing when the lead bags went through.  When the bags came out, they went on to do the explosive residue test on them, as well as my two cameras.

That was the second x-ray check on the film (first at Heathrow T2 on the way out).  No damage yet noticed on the film (nothing more sensitive than iso 400 tri-x was included).

• Thanks 2

• 3 months later...

Forewarned is forearmed - London Heathrow is planning to complete its installation of CT scanners in Terminal 5 (British Airways) beginning December 5 and continuing through the holidays. They're even getting rid of the Rapiscan machines in the First Wing. I hope they're briefing their staff on the danger these things pose to film, but who knows?

On 11/17/2023 at 4:07 AM, Chuck Albertson said:

Forewarned is forearmed - London Heathrow is planning to complete its installation of CT scanners in Terminal 5 (British Airways) beginning December 5 and continuing through the holidays. They're even getting rid of the Rapiscan machines in the First Wing. I hope they're briefing their staff on the danger these things pose to film, but who knows?

I think this will be a positive move as Heathrow's policy currently is to hand check film for CT scanners only.  I was told this via email and also in person by a supervisor when being refused a hand check there at a normal (non-CT machine).     So when they finish the transition to CT we should no longer have issues there 

• 2 months later...
11 hours ago, Chuck Albertson said:

Lina did the work: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRlReCTzDV8

A bit surprised that spanking-new BER is apparently still using old-school film scanners, but I guess that with all the other problems they had with "new" technology, why push their luck?

With base line of unscanned rolls as reference, this is great work.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to reconfirm that at Doha (DOH) and Dubai (DXB) airports I always (ALWAYS) get rejected for a hand inspection. And I live in Dubai, I know, I use a domke filmguard and I only travel with ISO 400 or below, not sure it helps but this is all I can do. 😞

Anyway, traveling to Tokyo (NRT) in April through Singapore (SIN).

Are these two airports "safe"?

I saw someone mentioned NRT already in the thread although in the FAQ of their airport webpage is says: "If you want to carry your photographic film on plane, not only X-ray screening but also manual check by an screenr is possible. Customers who don't want to perform security screening by X-ray screening equipment, or customers who have ultrasensitive film, Please declare it to the staff."

I know you mostly depend on the human being standing in front of you next to the scanner and how was his day up until you showed up, but in DXB and DOH they are clearly instructed to scan everything no matter what.

I really want some sakura photos on Portra 400 this year..  😀

Edited by junix
typo

1 hour ago, AndreasG said:

To avoid any risk of X-Ray damage I suggest to get your exposed films developed in Tokyo, e.g., Yodobashi or Biccamera. You also can buy the Portra 400 there, however at higher costs.

Thanks. I was exploring this possibility too, although I saw on a couple of pages online (but from 2023, for example this.. https://fstoppers.com/film/there-any-film-left-japan-636387) that buying film in Japan is becoming a hassle. Does anyone know if this is still the case or it was temporary?

Prices are just slightly more expensive than in Dubai so this is not such a big concern, unfortunately. 😀

Hi

I live in Singapore and always get hand check granted (so far, touch wood). Staffs are usually very nice and understanding. I systematically place the film in a clear plastic bag. This being said, if you have a chance I’d also still suggest to get it developed first if possible. 

I was in Osaka end of November. Shops did not allow to buy more than a couple of rolls at a time. This was due to low stock… 

Hope this helps! Have a nice trip. 

• Like 1