Show 35mm cropped Raws in 35mm in Raw Converts like Adobe Camera RAW (not the original 28mm Version)

-MR-

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello!

I am thinking of buying a Q2

Now I have a question: 

If I shoot in RAW in 35mm mode (CropMode), is it possible to display this 35mm crop directly in Raw converters, e.g. in Adobe Camera Raw? Or will the 100 % image be displayed (the 28mm original version (because its Raw)? 

I would like that the RAW images, which I have shot in 35mm  will displayed in 35mm  in the RAW converter (lates Adobe Camera RAW),

I have already researched, but find only contradictory answers on the Internet. Thanks a lot!

Martin

1 hour ago, -MR- said:

Hello!

I am thinking of buying a Q2. 

Now I have a question: 

If I shoot in RAW in 35mm mode (CropMode), is it possible to display this 35mm crop directly in Raw converters, e.g. in Adobe Camera Raw? Or will the 100 % image be displayed (the 28mm original version (because its Raw)? 

I would like that the RAW images, which I have shot in 35mm  will displayed in 35mm  in the RAW converter (lates Adobe Camera RAW),

I have already researched, but find only contradictory answers on the Internet. Thanks a lot!

Martin

Martin here are the notes from the Q2 manual: 
• The desired cropped section is displayed for DNG recordings,
but the entire 28 mm image field will be saved. That will allow a
later editing of the full image.
• Only an enlarged cropped section will be displayed and stored
for JPG images. A higher zoom value means a lower resolution as
shown in the following table. Cropped sections can also be
created using editing software. (from page 91 of my pdf of the manual.)

So your Raw dng files will be the entire 28 mm image field.  

Edited by mikeLD
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ba Erv said:

The in-camera crop modes (35, 50, 75) are embedded in the sidecar file of the DNG. The cropped image will appear just as the jpg file in LR, ACR, and PS unless the image is reset to the original 28mm perspective. 

Agreed. 

As a follow on from that: if you remove the crop in LR ( to show them at max size) the original crop is not forgotten but remains somewhere in the system - the LR catalogue or the sidecar file. There is a LR bug that appears to use the original crop when the file is uploaded in a collection to the LR CC cloud. This caused me problems recently when I shared images in a LR CC collection, and found that some remained in the original small crop. I re-edited the images, reducing the crop from the max 28mm by a minuscule amount; they then displayed correctly.