Leica Nooky for Elmar 50mm f/2.8

Steve Anchell

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am using an M3 with a 50mm Elmar f/2.8. I would like to use a Nooky but have been told that they are made to work with the f/3.5. Specifically, a sales person at Cambridge Camera said it isn't made for the f/2.8.

Leica USA doesn't have a clue. They emailed a page from Leica an Illustrated History that simply says the Nooky is made to work with the 5cm Elmar.

Does anyone know if a Nooky will work with the f/2.8? Your assistance would be appreciated.

Thank you, Mark. However, the Nooky Hessum is for the 5cm f/2 Summar. I have tried a search on Google for an answer with no luck. The problem is, I could purchase a Nooky and try it with the f/2.8 Elmar but if it didn't work I'd be stuck with it (returns are usually for defects, not for lack of homework on the part of the purchaser).

Steve,

What you need is a SOOKY-M #16,507, later known as a SOMKY #16,509. They are the same device, allowing collapsable Summicrons and Elmars to be rangefinder focused on a M camera from 1:15 to 1:7.5. The #16,509 includes an adaptor tube allowing a Rigid Summicron lens head to be used as well.

Bill

In the Illustrated History sent to me by Leica USA it shows the SOOKY for use with the 5cm Summicron, as you suggested. Are you certain it also works with the Elmar f/2.8? And if so, do you know why the NOOKY would work with the f/3.5 but not the f/2.8? There seems to be a dearth of information on this item. I suppose if I were independently wealthy I'd buy one of each and try them . . . wait a minute! I use Leica! By definition I must be independently wealthy!

Steve,

Both the NOOKY (#16,500) and SOOKY (16,502) are for the classic screw-mount cameras, NOT for the M series. The NOOKY introduced in 1935 was made for the 50mm F/3.5 Elmar (only). The SOOKY was made for the (then) new 50mm collapsible Summicron. Only the later models SOOKy-M or SOMKY will suit your purpose .

Bill