Bye, Bye

rsh

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Dirty sensor...!?

My Canon 1Ds had a dirty sensor. From the first day. And the last. - It most likely still has. My 1Ds II has a dirty sensor. Had so from the first day too. My M8 has a dirty sensor, - I feel strongly it is 'one of the few things normal about it'.

But; cold sweat! - Looking through old negatives, Holy S... dust, spots scars; Help! -It was much worse in the analog time. Have we forgotten?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Selling the M8. It has been to Leica twice since I purchased it in March, spending most of its time there. It just came back and it is still not right, so I have decided to let it go.

You're absolutely right. But please don't be a fool: why to sell such a piece of crap? Be a gentleman and send it to me. You won't regret it. :D

Gérald

Hi there

First of all, sympathies, I'm very happy with mine (although it has been back to Solms once).

However, first you say:

Selling the M8. It has been to Leica twice since I purchased it in March, spending most of its time there. It just came back and it is still not right,

Obviously frustrating.

But then you say:

The camera kept shutting down so I sent it back. Solms put in new electronics and I got it back 3 months later. The light meter was off when it returned so I sent it back. I got it Tuesday. It worked fine but the sensor was dirty. .

So, it sounds like it IS right now? I don't think the two statements are compatable.

As for dirty sensors - like Guy, apart from Olympus cameras, I've never bought an camera with interchangeable lenses which didn't come with a dirty sensor - and the Leica one is particularly easy to clean.

Why not give it another go - may you'll find that it IS the jewel that most of us find it.

Guest guy_mancuso

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I relate sensor dust to the big hole theory. Big hole anything gets in , no matter how much you try not to let it. In all seriousness if you need help cleaning it just let us know , there are a few forum members in Atlanta that have done this before that maybe willing to help. If you were here in Phoenix i would do it.

The camera kept shutting down so I sent it back. Solms put in new electronics and I got it back 3 months later. The light meter was off when it returned so I sent it back. I got it Tuesday. It worked fine but the sensor was dirty. I cleaned the sensor, but at this point I am ready to sell it.

I am not upset or angry as I have had no problems with any Leica or Leica lens since 1970 other than the first generation R4 in 1980, which I sent back and it was replaced.

For a dirty sensor??? That is like trading your car in when the ashtray is full.:rolleyes: Although in my case that would be forever, no smoking in my car ;)

Hey Richard,

Sorry you had such a poor experience with such an expensive purchase. Only you can make this decision my man and I wish you all the best with your future photography (with a fervent hope that you'll see the light and stay with us! - sorry, couldn't resist it!)

Sounds like frustration more than anything. Selling the M8 now that it is working because of a dirty sensor which is easily cleaned is what my Grandad used to call "Cutting off your nose to spite your face!"

Certainly I understand the frustration, Richard, but since the camera is actually working now, clean the darn sensor, and use it for a while and see if that sense of frustration doesn't dissipate. There's really no reason to take a big financial hit on reselling the M8 if the only thing wrong with it is a dirty sensor. JMO.:)

I'm considering personal mass suicide.

For all the M8 owners considering this course of action, please take a moment to carefully pack your M8 for shipping (preferably with a 28/2, 50/1.4, and 75/2) and PM me for a shipping address. Thanks, much appreciated.

Looking through old negatives, Holy S... dust, spots scars; Help! -It was much worse in the analog time. Have we forgotten?

Touché!

How easily we forget. I've just been shooting some film myself, and there are dust spots everywhere! I think it's a good idea for digital shooters to hang onto at least one film body and shoot some of the ol' celluloid (I know, I know ...) once in a while just to sort of keep in touch with what it was like. I mean, I like film too, but it was certainly no picnic compared to digital.