Enlarger lens

Marc0

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi every one,

I'm writing because i've just bought a Leica M2 with a Summicron 50mm and I think I'm the happiest guy in Italy at the moment. But the problem is this, wich is the use of this amazing camera if my enlarger lens is not able to recreate the negatives in the best way possible? I mean, i'm not looking for THE BEST EVER enlarger lens, (I'm a working student and i've almost finished all my money for the Leica), but just a lens good enough to live up to the Leica standard.

This being sad, I have a durst M305 and my budget is around 150 euro (pleas, don't laugh). I'm thinking about a 50mm lens.

Thanks everyone who will take a moment to give me some advice. Sorry for my english

Marco

Edited by Marc0
grammar errors
  • Like 1

Any 50mm 6 element enlarger lens from a major producer.

The easiest to find, and easily within your budget is an EL-Nikkor 50mm 1:2.8 - it is very good. The newer plastic barrel is probably fractionally better optically but the older metal versions are still very good (and nicer made).

Avoid the EL-Nikkor 50mm 4.0 - 4 element, decent but not as well corrected.

• Like 2

Most of the brands offered high quality 50/2.8 6-element lenses: Rodagon, Componon, EL-Nikkor N. Their lesser lenses (3 or 4 elements) were usually, but not always, slower. These premium lenses were all very good.

The main thing with enlarging lenses is to verify that the glass is clear. Some of these lenses spent decades surrounded by chemistry fumes (not to mention cigarette smoke), and have built-up some haze, which will affect fine detail in your shadows and highlights.

• 1 year later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This is a bit late in the day as it were, but there are three points I'd like to make:

1 - I have a Hoya 2,8/50 enlarger lens and it is every bit as good as or better than the El-Nikkor 2,8/50, and costs half or less. Definitely worth a try.

2 - The Schnider-Kreuznach Componon-S 2,8/50 is possibly the only non-leith lens to have an exact focal length of 52,6 mm. It will operate correctly with the autofocus mechanism of the Focomat 1c. I know, I've tried it and my Focomat 1c is set up with this lens. The other 50 mm lenses are not matched to the autofocus cam and will have to be manually focussed.

3 - What has been said above is very true. Any reputable manufacturer's 5 or 6 element lens will be up to the job. Your limitation will be the film's grain and resolution rather than the enlarger lens. Also pay attention to the alignment and illumination of the enlarger. That said there are some very good 4-element lenses around, the Minolta Rokkor 4,5/50 is good, and the Taylor-Hobson 2" Ental is pretty much unbeatable, if you can find a decent one. Find out (from catalogues and experiment) what is the optimum aperture for the lens you use, it will probably be f5,6 or f8 and try to work at that aperture. 

• Like 1