M3 Close Focusing

Hrv

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi again,

From a previous post, I have my eye on an M3 (which is available, recently serviced, from a UK dealer) and it will be a great complement to my Q2 Monochrom.  However, I would just appreciate some advice on close focusing.

With the M3 only focussing down to around 1m (which I appreciate can be modified) and the latest lenses down to 0.7m, what happens when if you focus the lens down to 0.7m on an original M3? Is there any chance of damage to the camera or does it just pick up focus again once you get back up to 1m. 

I’m not overly worried about the close focus distance (so an M3 is preferred over something that focuses closer) but don’t want to cause an injury to the camera!

Many thanks,

Hrv

It does not damage it (at least not that i'm aware of), but the rangefinder will simply stop moving at around 0.85m or so. & While some models can be adjusted beyond to focus to 0.7m the parallax correction does not work beyond the natural limit of the camera, which means that your framing might be off for close up shots with a 50mm. It is the bes Leica body & I highly recommend it, but I think it's more enjoyable to use with a vintage lens that goes to 1m (rigid, lux 50 etc). If you do want close ups, get the DR & you can go to 0.5m w/ parallax correction. Or get a 35 cron/summaron with goggles & you can go down to 0.65m.

• Like 1

No it doesn't injure the camera. The cam just doesn't move to accommodate the shorter close-up range. The camera can be adjusted, but in reality few people shoot this close. A SLR is much better equipped for this type of close work. In the past, Leica users could use rings or bellows with the Visoflex and lenses having a focal length greater than 65mm. I've been doing that for years.

Happened to me a couple of times - I used lenses with MFD of 0.7 m on my M3 forgetting that the rangefinder can only close focus down to 1 m. Only thing which happens by doing so is that the image taken will come out blurry / misfocused. To focus closer than 1 m with the M3 is only possible with either the Dual-focus 50/2 Summicron lens and goggles or with adapted screw-mount bellow/Visoflex (originally made for Leica III-based camera systems) as mentioned above. 

3 hours ago, Martin B said:

Happened to me a couple of times - I used lenses with MFD of 0.7 m on my M3 forgetting that the rangefinder can only close focus down to 1 m. Only thing which happens by doing so is that the image taken will come out blurry / misfocused. To focus closer than 1 m with the M3 is only possible with either the Dual-focus 50/2 Summicron lens and goggles or with adapted screw-mount bellow/Visoflex (originally made for Leica III-based camera systems) as mentioned above. 

Ask your local repairman to adjust the minimum rf coupled distance on the M3 ! 
All it takes is to bend a metal lever and a collimator to check that the RF coupling remains well adjusted  .

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 9/30/2022 at 11:21 AM, JMF said:

Ask your local repairman to adjust the minimum rf coupled distance on the M3 ! 
All it takes is to bend a metal lever and a collimator to check that the RF coupling remains well adjusted  .

Thanks for the advice - but I will keep my M3 in its original shape. I have other M cameras which focus down to 0.7 m. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Martin B said:

Thanks for the advice - but I will keep my M3 in its original shape. I have other M cameras which focus down to 0.7 m. 

Good decision, Martin.

Lucky you ( and me ! ) having other Ms for different tastes 👍.