Capture One iPad workflow

ianforber

Advertisement (gone after registration)

For various complicated reasons I will not have use of my MacBook Pro for several months so decided to buy an up to date iPad (iPad Air 64GB) to use in the meantime. I use Capture One and have just downloaded their new iPad app to see how it works. My intention has been to work on the files on the iPad and then export as an EIP file (DNG plus adjustments) into my iCloud File structure so that I can easily import them into my Capture One Pro catalogue and pick up where I left off when I finally get my laptop back. Probably also send a few as JPEGs to Photos to show family and friends.

I deliberately stress tested it today by importing a large number of M11 files - just over 700 of mainly DNG/JPEG pairs. That amounted to 60GB and my iPad screamed that it was full. I immediately moved the files out of the app and into iCloud Files but had forgotten that full size versions remain on the iPad for a while so it’s taking a while to get the iPad storage back to normal. 

I appreciate that most people here use LR rather than C1 but I wondered if anyone had any workflow tips. Obviously, this was an extreme test and the answer is probably something based on importing fewer files at one go but I’m wondering what to do with the files when I’ve finished working on them. Should I offload the EIP to an external hard drive or Dropbox, or stick with the original plan? 

Any tips?

Your storage choice is an issue, as you have found out. The only real work around is only have the minimum you need to work on on your iPad internal storage, or buy and external ssd to work off. You can connect an ssd directly to the iPad these days, if you didn’t know.

I have a My Passport Wireless Pro drive that I can insert my SD cards into, the files are saved automatically to the drive (use it this way to backup the cards when I’m out and about), or via the WD Passport app. I can the use LR to work with the drive. 

I also have my files backed up in the cloud, using 4 TBs of Apple’s iCloud for plenty of space.

Edited by OThomas