E41 filters

grahamc

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello

I'm looking for some advice on best route to take to attach a protective (clear or UV) filter and have the capacity to also fit an ND8 filter, onto 35:1.4 v1.  Size E41 thread.

My progress so far is:

Option 1. I can locate an original Leica E41 UV for the protection part.  But there is no thread on the top of these filters to attach a further ND.  There are other brands that I could try, but with this option even if the protective filter would allow additions, I also can't find an ND8 in E41 size.

I wonder is there such product as a push-on ND filter that will fit ?  If so then this solution works. 

The other options seems to be:

Option 2.  I have 40.5mm filters from another system that seem to fit, so I could screw them gently (they seem to go on and off with no problem at all, if done carefully).  But I need a way to test whether the filter will touch the glass when fully screwed in.  Any ideas on how to pre-test safely ?   I'm not fully comfortable with this option due to potential damage to the thread or the front element so I haven't screwed the filter all the way yet just in case.  But it does screw in/out smoothly so this seems to be the easiest option if I can first test to verify the filter won't touch the front element .

Option 3.  A step-up ring to either E46 or E40.5.   There are E41 step up/down available but I think this will look fairly ugly.

Does anyone have any suggestions please?   Option 1 would be the neatest if such a thing as a push on filter exists.

Cheers ! 

Edited by grahamc

Maybe the Heliopan E41 UV, which I assume (maybe wrongly!) has a front thread, and an E41 to E46 step up ring for everything else? But I wouldn't stack a UV under normal conditions anyway, I'd just take it off and swap it for the stepping ring and the ND, so the Leica filter would do just as well. The UV won't be doing anything useful with the ND in place.

Although I don't like the idea of using a stepping ring for just the UV on its own, one benefit of doing it this way would be that you could use it with a high quality filter that has modern multicoating, like B+W MRC/MRC Nano or Hoya HD. Most of the 41mm filters available seem to be either older (single?) coated, or Brand X of unknown quality.

• Thanks 1

I have a 5cm f/1.5 Summarit-M. It also has 41mm filter thread. Luckily, mine came with two B+W brand filters - a UV and a yellow. Unfortunately, they appear to be no longer in production. They are occasionally available used however.

I've often thought of going with the OP's option 3 - a step up ring. Likely 41-43 or 41-46....but, as the Summarit sees little use,  I have so far been satisfied with what I have.

Edited by BradS
grammar & typos.
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, shirubadanieru said:

https://www.mapcamera.com/item/4957638103282 this filter may work for your needs? 

Thanks very much  . This one doesn't have a thread for attaching others, but then after reading @Anbaric's advice then maybe I don't need to - I can swap out for the step ring option when ND is needed.  Most of my shooting is daytime so having ND8 on would be my common use 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 minutes ago, BradS said:

I have a 5cm f/1.5 Summarit-M. It also has 41mm filter thread. Luckily, mine came with two B+W brand filters - a UV and a yellow. Unfortunately, they appear to be no longer in production. They are occasionally available used however.

I've often thought of going with the OP's option 3 - a step up ring. Likely 41-43 or 41-46....but, as the Summarit sees little use and I have so far be satisfied with what I have.

Yes I think a step ring will be the way to go for the ND filters, and either the Leica original or Daniel's suggestion for the protection. The Leica E41's are horribly expensive but I am sure it would be very neat on this lens .  thanks a lot ! 

Edited by grahamc
  • Like 1

Why is everyone obsessed with neutral density filters. Leitz have spent decades working on faster and faster lenses, faster films/sensors and people want to go back to Victorian exposures ! Because of the fashion of photographs of the sea smoothed out.

Try two polarising filters turned opposing each other until the light is almost blocked out?

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Pyrogallol said:

Why is everyone obsessed with neutral density filters. Leitz have spent decades working on faster and faster lenses, faster films/sensors and people want to go back to Victorian exposures ! Because of the fashion of photographs of the sea smoothed out.

Try two polarising filters turned opposing each other until the light is almost blocked out?

I have many obsessions but ND filters isn't one of them. I don't think an ND8 3-stop would be particularly useful for smoothing out sea.

I do find ND very convenient for using my lenses at wider apertures in Australian daylight though, because most cameras I'm using have max shutter speed 1/1000 and my preferred film is rated around ASA 320.  Sometimes an ND8 is needed for any aperture below F11 

• Like 1

As I have POL filters since my Leica R days, I tried with success on my M.

Depending on light situations ( early morning, late afternoon or noon not the same ! ), this can "eat"  2 or 3 EV and "enhance" contrast of lens reputed low contrast like Summilux 35mm.

Just saying another path is always possible.

2 hours ago, Pyrogallol said:

Because Leica M cameras have “slow” minimum shutter speeds. Case in point, my M10-R has 1/4000th of a second, in summer I had to use a 4-stop ND filter to slow the shutter down to 1/1000th of a second. A 2-stop would've worked, but I only had the 4-stop.

Another, my M4-P has a 1/1000th minimum shutter speed, again the 4-stop ND came in handy during the summer.

Yes you can say use f/16 aperture, but it wasn’t the effect I wanted. Why buy fast glass and use f/16?

Edited by OThomas

I'm not too familiar with the physical construction of the v1 so apologies if I'm mistaken but will the (35 Summilux v2) 12504 hood not fit? If so then regular Series VII filters would work fine but I'm not sure many companies manufacture ND8 filters in this format.

There are a few companies which make 41mm filters - Marumi, Kenko and Heliopan - and these, AFAIK, have a thread to accept another filter/screw-in hood but, again, I've never seen an ND8 from either of these brands.

Like others here I have a 50mm f1.5 Summarit and am slightly frustrated by the dearth of filters available for that lens.

Philip.

Edited by pippy
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, a.noctilux said:

Philip,

I don't know if the hood 12504 can fit the V1.

Just to add that in the case it does fit, I use for long some E49 filters inside the 12504 hood, sometimes needing to reverse mount E49 filter.

Thanks Arnaud. I do that also with the v2 but the 12504 hood - 49mm filters for perfectly. But the 12504 doesn’t fit the summilux v1 unfortunately. I keep hoping it will though, I think I’ve tried it 2 or 3 times now 😂

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, pippy said:

I'm not too familiar with the physical construction of the v1 so apologies if I'm mistaken but will the (35 Summilux v2) 12504 hood not fit? If so then regular Series VII filters would work fine but I'm not sure many companies manufacture ND8 filters in this format.

There are a few companies which make 41mm filters - Marumi, Kenko and Heliopan - and these, AFAIK, have a thread to accept another filter/screw-in hood but, again, I've never seen an ND8 from either of these brands.

Like others here I have a 50mm f1.5 Summarit and am slightly frustrated by the dearth of filters available for that lens.

Philip.

Thanks Phillip. Yes the same as the summarit.  I can find plenty of coloured filters but no ND 

• Like 1