E41 filters

grahamc

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Now I remember when I first have my Summarit 1.5/50 with E41 filter size, I did some researches, not finding E41 filter type I needed, and read that some

filters E40.5 can screw-in and be used.

I tried some, I can confirm that some E40.5 filters can be used on E41 lenses.

Just try.

The bad trick is when I have my second Summarit-M 1.5/50 those E40.5 filters which are fine on first can't be used anymore, strange.

Edited by a.noctilux

A few years ago, someone (based in Australia IIRC) was selling OLLUX replicas on eBay. They were extremely well made and looked very much like the original, inscriptions and all, only a bit heavier. If memory serves, price was about 250 USD. I got one and stored the original in a safe place. I suspect some of these replicas are now being sold as "genuine"...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

50 minutes ago, Ecar said:

A few years ago, someone (based in Australia IIRC) was selling OLLUX replicas on eBay. They were extremely well made and looked very much like the original, inscriptions and all, only a bit heavier. If memory serves, price was about 250 USD. I got one and stored the original in a safe place. I suspect some of these replicas are now being sold as "genuine"...

Off-topic a bit, I know, but I was rather amused - in a nice way - when I first saw this hood which Voigtlander offer to pair with some of their 35mm lenses;

https://www.reddotcameras.co.uk/voigtlander-accessories/15164-voigtlander-lh-12-lens-hood.html

Philip.

• Haha 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

here are photos of the B+W filters I spoke of earlier. This is an M mount 5cm f/1.5 Summarit. I also have a 40.5mm filter that definitely does not fit this lens. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by BradS
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, BradS said:

here are photos of the B+W filters I spoke of earlier. This is an M mount 5cm f/1.5 Summarit. I also have a 40.5mm filter that definitely does not fit this lens. 

thanks Brad I'll keep my eye out second hand 

1 hour ago, grahamc said:

My 40.5 filter fits so probably depends on the individual brand.  Any ideas how I can safely see if the filter will not touch the glass when screwed all the way ?   Just listen out for a crunching sound ?  🤔

FWIW, my technique in such situations consists in cutting a small square piece of soft tissue (anything goes, even toilet paper...), placing it flat right in the middle of the front element with the lens sitting on a flat surface and very carefully screwing the filter in. If the bit of tissue starts moving/turning before the filter is fully screwed in, then you know the filter will damage the glass. Otherwise, unscrew the filter, remove the tissue, screw the filter back in and you are good to go.

Edited by Ecar
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ecar said:

FWIW, my technique in such situations consists in cutting a small square piece of soft tissue (anything goes, even toilet paper...), placing it flat right in the middle of the front element with the lens sitting on a flat surface and very carefully screwing the filter in. If the bit of tissue starts moving/turning before the filter is fully screwed in, then you know the filter will damage the glass. Otherwise, unscrew the filter, remove the tissue, screw the filter back in and you are good to go.

Thanks very much. I’m going to try it :) 

• Like 1

On 9/19/2022 at 1:39 AM, grahamc said:

Thanks very much. This one (Marumi 41mm) doesn't have a thread for attaching others...

Sorry; just saw this post.

I'm 99.999% certain that the Marumi does have a front-thread. I bought one myself (UVa) to protect my Summarit but can't verify as, fed up waiting for a XOONS to come up at a good price and wanting to get out with my lens, I super-glued a 40.5mm reverse-conical vented hood on to the front of my one...

Being a silver-mounted filter it also matches the Summarit quite nicely so would also (IMO) look good with the Steel-Rim.

Philip.

Edited by pippy

13 minutes ago, pippy said:

Sorry; just saw this post.

I'm 99.999% certain that the Marumi does have a front-thread. I bought one myself (UVa) to protect my Summarit but can't verify as, fed up waiting for a XOONS to come up at a good price and wanting to get out with my lens, I super-glued a 40.5mm reverse-conical vented hood on to the front of my one...

Being a silver-mounted filter it also matches the Summarit quite nicely so would also (IMO) look good with the Steel-Rim.

Philip.

Oh ok great. I messaged the seller of one as I current verify from the photos. and they said if didn’t, however it didn’t sound like they had it in front of them at the time. I’ll look into it further thanks Phillip

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, grahamc said:

Oh ok great. I messaged the seller of one as I current verify from the photos. and they said if didn’t, however it didn’t sound like they had it in front of them at the time. I’ll look into it further thanks Phillip

Hmmm.....

It's very hard to tell from the pics I've seen on-line. Most sites use the same low-res snap but here's one (admittedly a 40mm but would there be a difference for the 41mm?) which suggests that there might be a thread in there;

Having just had a really close look at mine it's impossible to tell from the reverse if there's a front thread and the hood is too firmly attached to be dismantled.

This youtube clip isn't conclusive either but at around the 28 second mark are there signs of a thread or is that just wishful thinking on my part?...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVzePGaGOl0

Sorry I can't be of any concrete help!

Philip.

Edited by pippy

1 hour ago, pippy said:

Hmmm.....

It's very hard to tell from the pics I've seen on-line. Most sites use the same low-res snap but here's one (admittedly a 40mm but would there be a difference for the 41mm?) which suggests that there might be a thread in there;

Having just had a really close look at mine it's impossible to tell from the reverse if there's a front thread and the hood is too firmly attached to be dismantled.

This youtube clip isn't conclusive either but at around the 28 second mark are there signs of a thread or is that just wishful thinking on my part?...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVzePGaGOl0

Sorry I can't be of any concrete help!

Philip.

Thanks Philip ! Appreciate it. If I had to guess I’d say it looks like there’s a thread :) 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice here. I’m thinking now I’ll use

i) E41 original silver chrome Leica UV designed for 35:1.4 v1.   It doesn’t have a filter thread to add another filter, so not so convenient as a 3rd party filter. But I think this lens deserves it. 

+
ii) E41 step ring to use ND filters that I already own.  
Choices for the step ring would be to step up to E46 , or step down to E40.5

Would the step down be more likely to create vignette ?  Or perhaps as it is only 0.5mm it won’t matter ?

Once decided I will buy a step and the original E41 filter and start putting this lens to better use 😎.  

Thanks again 

Edited by grahamc

Hi all, since we are on the topic of the 35mm Summilux v1, may I seek some information on the original lens cap? I'm currently using the 50mm Summarit 1.5 lens cap (both lenses take E41 filters), but would appreciate any information on the original lens cap (a black plastic cap I believe). 

Sorry for going off topic, and thanks in advance!

However, 

On 10/5/2022 at 12:42 AM, grahamc said:

Thanks for the advice here. I’m thinking now I’ll use

i) E41 original silver chrome Leica UV designed for 35:1.4 v1.   It doesn’t have a filter thread to add another filter, so not so convenient as a 3rd party filter. But I think this lens deserves it. 

+
ii) E41 step ring to use ND filters that I already own.  
Choices for the step ring would be to step up to E46 , or step down to E40.5

Would the step down be more likely to create vignette ?  Or perhaps as it is only 0.5mm it won’t matter ?

Once decided I will buy a step and the original E41 filter and start putting this lens to better use 😎.  

Thanks again 

To avoid extra fall-off when shooting the  35 summilux v1 on digital FF M bodies , I use a 41-46 step up ring with a e46 filter and a generic wide hood . Not the prettiest solution but this does protect the front element as well !

Edited by JMF
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, weihsuan said:

Hi all, since we are on the topic of the 35mm Summilux v1, may I seek some information on the original lens cap? I'm currently using the 50mm Summarit 1.5 lens cap (both lenses take E41 filters), but would appreciate any information on the original lens cap (a black plastic cap I believe). 

Sorry for going off topic, and thanks in advance!

However, 

Leica Store Manchester (UK) has a Summilux v1 with caps and OLLUX. The cap on its own is quite rare. This is a good opportunity to buy the cap and a spare OLLUX :) The cap looks to be original but you might want to email them. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, JMF said:

To avoid extra fall-off when shooting the  35 summilux v1 on digital FF M bodies , I use a 41-46 step up ring with a e46 filter and a generic wide hood . Not the prettiest solution but this does protect the front element as well !

Thanks Jean Marc 🙏🏻

• Thanks 1