Q2 Firmware 4.0 - Jpeg Settings test

Advertisement (gone after registration)

A post by another forum member got me thinking, so I thought I'd do a quick test of how the various jpeg settings affect the final output, and whether they could really be compared to film simulations, recipes or similar offered by other camera platforms.

I couldn't seem to find a way to jam all the test content into a single post, so threw a page up on my website. I've never done this type of test before so there could be some things I've overlooked. Hope it comes across as intended as well as useful in some ways....

https://phil1066photography.com/photography-projects/leica-q2-jpeg-testing/

• Like 6

Interesting experiment, thanks for taking the time! I went through the images on your website and I tend to agree with your conclusions. I was a bit surprised to see the subtleness of the effects, maybe because i was expecting more. In any case, my way of shooting is to shoot raw and adjust in Lightroom afterwards, so all this is theoretical for me. Even when I was shooting jpg (with my X100F - great little camera) I was still shooting neutral and used Lr later, or sometimes used the film simulations as designed.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, acg69 said:

Interesting experiment, thanks for taking the time! I went through the images on your website and I tend to agree with your conclusions. I was a bit surprised to see the subtleness of the effects, maybe because i was expecting more. In any case, my way of shooting is to shoot raw and adjust in Lightroom afterwards, so all this is theoretical for me. Even when I was shooting jpg (with my X100F - great little camera) I was still shooting neutral and used Lr later, or sometimes used the film simulations as designed.

Many thanks 🙂 yes I always shoot RAW, and have been interested to see how much better the Q2 jpegs are than they used to be (see all early reviews). My SL601 produces very different looking Jpegs to the RAWs, whereas pretty much the Q2 ones look very very similar IMHO.

I'm not sure why Leica doesnt introduce something more competitive in this space, maybe its less 'purist' in their eyes??? I did enjoy my Fuji shooting days, particularly for the form factor and film simulations, but not for the 'worms' haha.

• Like 1