the important stuff

grahamc

6 hours ago, logan2z said:

I've read this whole thread and can only come to one conclusion:

You guys are nuts 😁

Well, we all count our socks and list them in a spreadsheet.
Don't we?
Don't we???

A further question: do you list the lens down the left and their weights and measures along the top? Or the other way round? When I make a spreadsheet, I list the items along the top and the characteristics down the left.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, LocalHero1953 said:

...A further question: do you list the lens down the left and their weights and measures along the top? Or the other way round?...

Yet another question is "In what fashion do we order our lenses?". I keep my lenses in drawstring-tied soft cotton pouches but as most lenses / pouchs are of a similar size this tends to make quick identification of one particular lens slightly awkward I decided to create an 'milk-crate' solution.

First I readied two boxes (shoe-boxes were perfect!) for the task. These boxes - positioned in 'landscape orientation' - have lateral dividers and transverse dividers. One has three of the former and two of the latter ( i.e. creating square-shaped compartments numbering four across and three down) and the second has a similar set-up but the whole of the last lateral row is one uninterrupted column occupied by a 135mm f4 Tele-Elmar laying flat. Of the other compartments the boxes are sufficiently deep to allow all the lenses to be stored rear-cap down.

Top-leftmost has shortest f/l with smallest max. aperture and next comes either same f/l with larger min. ap or else next f/l. Going down the column the f/l increases and, again, start with smallest aperture for f/l. When lowest 'box' is occupied the next lens goes into the top 'box' of the next row. And so on and so on.

Presently (for example) I have, in the first column, 21mm f4 / 28mm f5.6 / 28mm f2.8. then back up to top of the second column which starts 28mm f2.0 / 35mm f3.5...etc...etc...

Makes finding any particular lens very straightforward.

If you remember exactly what you have and you don't have too many lenses!

Philip.

Edited by pippy
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, LocalHero1953 said:

When I make a spreadsheet, I list the items along the top and the characteristics down the left.

You are pulling our legs, surely ? 

No wonder you purge them after.

😁

Although in all seriousness, I don’t have a hard and fast rule for this - depends on what decision I am over-thinking :) 

Edited by grahamc
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, pippy said:

Yet another question is "In what fashion do we order our lenses?". I keep my lenses in drawstring-tied soft cotton pouches but as most lenses / pouchs are of a similar size this tends to make quick identification of one particular lens slightly awkward I decided to create an 'milk-crate' solution.

First I readied two boxes (shoe-boxes were perfect!) for the task. These boxes - positioned in 'landscape orientation' - have lateral dividers and transverse dividers. One has three of the former and two of the latter ( i.e. creating square-shaped compartments numbering four across and three down) and the second has a similar set-up but the whole of the last lateral row is one uninterrupted column occupied by a 135mm f4 Tele-Elmar laying flat. Of the other compartments the boxes are sufficiently deep to allow all the lenses to be stored rear-cap down.

Top-leftmost has shortest f/l with smallest max. aperture and next comes either same f/l with larger min. ap or else next f/l. Going down the column the f/l increases and, again, start with smallest aperture for f/l. When lowest 'box' is occupied the next lens goes into the top 'box' of the next row. And so on and so on.

Presently (for example) I have, in the first column, 21mm f4 / 28mm f5.6 / 28mm f2.8. then back up to top of the second column which starts 28mm f2.0 / 35mm f3.5...etc...etc...

Makes finding any particular lens very straightforward.

If you remember exactly what you have and you don't have too many lenses!

Philip.

Very nice.  A physical spreadsheet ! 

Since you aren’t an actual spreadsheeter, would you consider some cards slipped in there alongside the lens, with (arguably needless) information on ? I’m just not sure I could live with not knowing the weights 

Edited by grahamc
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

7 minutes ago, grahamc said:

...would you consider some cards slipped in there alongside the lens, with (arguably needless) information on ? I’m just not sure I could live with not knowing the weights...

For me any such card would be more useful to have info such as 'Which Hood? What Filter-Thread?' etc. Especially the filter size as I do tend to use those things rather frequently. Of my M lenses the majority take 39mm filters but there are a few which take oddities - (37mm; 41mm; 43mm; 46mm; 55mm) - and it might be useful to have a 'ready-guide' to hand.

If I get a mo' tomorrow, just for a giggle, I'll grab a snap of the boxes in which I keep the assorted hoods, filters, caps, straps, pouches, zip-lok bags, chargers, cables, batteries.......

Philip.

• Like 1

That never to be forgotten moment when you start a new spreadsheet; the future is open, unknown and could take you anywhere.....

This spreadsheet is to see if there is an alternative subscription/streaming scheme to replace our current Sky HD+ box and Sky Sports package. The world has changed and the range of hardware and streaming systems has changed a lot. I have to compare cost, UI design, channels, ability to record, potential compatibility with other devices and subscriptions. Could be a long spreadsheet (or wide).

• Like 1

Wow, amazing that some would want to admit this level of OCD in public. I might suggest taking the time to make few extra trips to the gym vs obsessing about a few grams of lens weight difference. Most likely means you have way too many lenses if you need to spreadsheet them, lol.  

Which reminds me of that long overdue sock and underwear drawer clean out needing to be done....

• Haha 1

My camera and lens spreadsheet runs to 7 pages now, thought it’s actually a Word document. There is a spreadsheet that lists all the camera bodies and when they were used, adding up the number of films used in each body so that I can check which one’s turn it is to be used next, and a total over the past 12 years, 320 to date. The biggest spreadsheet I had at work ran to 200 pages, with formulas passing calculations on to a total page.

Edited by Pyrogallol
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Pyrogallol said:

My camera and lens spreadsheet runs to 7 pages now, thought it’s actually a Word document. There is a spreadsheet that lists all the camera bodies and when they were used, adding up the number of films used in each body so that I can check which one’s turn it is to be used next, and a total over the past 12 years, 320 to date. The biggest spreadsheet I had at work ran to 200 pages, with formulas passing calculations on to a total page.

What do you do spreadsheet tells you it’s one cameras turn but you fancy using another ? Is there an override feature?  😁

Edited by grahamc

My dad once told me he solved a “complex and previously unsolvable” problem that a US Army department contacted him about (via an excel user forum he was active on 😂)

Now I’m starting to think it was just some GI who couldn’t decide whether to use his Noctilux or Summicron 

On 9/2/2022 at 1:02 AM, adan said:

Spread sheet? Good Lord, no!

I have them memorized. ;)

21mm Elmarit-M - 257g
28mm Elmarit-M v.4 - 244g
35mm Summilux-M v.2 - 160g
75mm Nokton f/1.5 - 337g
75mm ASMA (APO-Summicron-M-ASPH) - 438g
90mm Tele-Elmarit-M - 224g
135mm APO-Telyt-M - 454g

(sans caps, filters, optional hoods)

The only "document" I keep around is my home-made "Josef Albers" fields-of-view diagram.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

This is a fantastic comparison of various fields of view.  When someone says they are considering a new lens but they are concerned the Focal Length is too close to one of their current lenses, they should refer to this comparison.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RayD28 said:

This is a fantastic comparison of various fields of view.  When someone says they are considering a new lens but they are concerned the Focal Length is too close to one of their current lenses, they should refer to this comparison.  

Or use the frame preview lever. Or learn to move backwards or forward (thereby creating a new mental diagram, with different perspective). 

Jeff

• Like 1