the important stuff

grahamc

I haven't gone quite so far as to create a spreadsheet - don't have the skill in any case - but I have weighed my lenses partly out of curiosity but originally so I knew how heavy each piece of equipment was when putting-together a travel-kit if travelling by 'plane.

One outcome was that the silver-chrome 90mm Summicron is unlikely to ever leave these shores...

:lol:

Philip

Edited by pippy
  • Haha 2

Don't worry, Graham. There are many of such spreadsheets on my laptop. An example is attached (a selection of macro lenses I was interested in at some stage).

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Hope this helps restoring the family peace. 

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, pippy said:

I haven't gone quite so far as to create a spreadsheet - don't have the skill in any case - but I have weighed my lenses partly out of curiosity but originally so I knew how heavy each piece of equipment was when putting-together a travel-kit.

One outcome was that the silver-chrome 90mm Summicron is unlikely to ever leave these shores...

:lol:

Philip

Hahah . Ah yes, a scale-breaking 685.5g "apparently" :P

Edited by grahamc
  • Haha 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm also one lenses (not only, ... bodies, straps, cases, etc.) curious weighter, records in a plain writing book, no spreadsheet.

Began when I "collected" 35mm Summicron IV to see some were 135g others 155g 😁.

In the beginning, it was kitchen (max) 5kg, not enough accurate, then purchased 600g scale to end with 100g which can show 0.01g (this latter is for my turntables/cartridges use).

Edited by a.noctilux
  • Haha 1

Just now, Studienkamera said:

Don't worry, Graham. There are many of such spreadsheets on my laptop. An example is attached (a selection of macro lenses I was interested in at some stage).

Hope this helps restoring the family peace. 

Brilliant !    Feel much better.   Great skills although are you sure those weights are accurate?  I hope there's no rounding going on 😂:P

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, darylgo said:

I don't have a spreadsheet but will start one.  Are any accessories included, like lens caps or protective filters?  When I have checked my lens on a very accurate scale it doesn't read the same as spec sheets.

Has to be without caps or filters ... the feeling of satisfaction when a really light one goes on the scale is priceless!  (or in the case of 35:2 v4, very expensive. !) 

• Like 1

Just now, grahamc said:

Brilliant !    Feel much better.   Great skills although are you sure those weights are accurate?  I hope there's no rounding going on 😂:P

Yes, these multiples of 5g in the final row indeed look suspicious. I need to dig deeper next time... By the way, the Canon won at that time - because of its weight.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, a.noctilux said:

I'm also one lenses (not only, ... bodies, straps, cases, etc.) curious weighter, records in a plain writing book, no spreadsheet.

Began when I "collected" Summicron IV to seesome are 135g others 155g 😁.

In the beginning, it was kitchen (max) 5kg, not enough accurate, then purchased 600g scale to end with 100g which can show 0.01g (this latter is for my turntables/cartridges use).

I admire the dedication to accuracy Arnaud.  I'm questioning the accuracy of Mrs C's scales anyway ...and might have to buy my own ! 

Accuracy was my concern too.

I happend to buy a scale with own-calibration with 500g weight (the one 600g max).

I calibrated with 500ml of water and "tare".

Accuracy is enough, then discovered some coins ( as another old collector ) with 2g, 3g, 4g, 5.6g for smaller devices.

When I need 0.1g showing, I take into account, just weighting those coins ( my own "precision" master ).

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, a.noctilux said:

(this latter is for my turntables/cartridges use).

Cartridges? Did someone say cartridges? Voila:

Ikeda 9TS is now playing.

Edited by Studienkamera
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, a.noctilux said:

Joachim,

picky cartridge like Lyra Delos needs very precise VTF, so for some records, I put 1.70g (recommendation by some audiophiles... 1.72g ! )

for other records 1.75g or 1.80g that is my whole cartridge story.

I know, I have a digital scale from Ortofon for this purpose. The posted table was just about calculating resonance frequencies.

Edited by Studienkamera

9 minutes ago, a.noctilux said:

Joachim,

picky cartridge like Lyra Delos needs very precise VTF, so for some records, I put 1.70g (recommendation by some audiophiles... 1.72g ! )

for other records 1.75g or 1.80g that is my whole cartridge story.

See, as I mentioned to Mrs C... it’s always good to be prepared for these types of conversations.  

• Haha 3

And I thought I was the only one. 😅

One of many spreadsheets:

• Like 2

Last year during a clean-up I discovered that I had forgotten to include the original box for a lens I had sold. I contacted the buyer and asked if he wanted me to send it to him. He said he had resold it and had no idea to whom. I was rather surprised that it was possible to forget something like that. I myself have a full overview of everyone I have bought from and sold to in my spreadsheets. 😄

• Haha 3

20 minutes ago, evikne said:

And I thought I was the only one. 😅

One of many spreadsheets:

I always wanted to swap my titanium special edition 50 summilux e46 for a normal one. I just weighted it at 384gr (with a b&w filter). Almost 100gr difference 😱

Edited by Aryel
  • Like 1

vor 1 Stunde schrieb a.noctilux:

Began when I "collected" 35mm Summicron IV to see some were 135g others 155g

There is a reason for that difference. The lighter ones (135g) should be the Canadien made copies of that lens, which include some plastic part, which was later changed to metal in the German made copies, hence the increased weight (155g is still very lightweight though).