Leica MP & battery compartment issues (Australia only?)

I can buy a box of loose push pins.  The box is very easy to open.  Pretty sure those won't feel comfortable swallowed.  But are they banned? No.

I can buy a Sony digicam.  Looking at that thing can blind you and give you nightmares.  But are they banned? No.

1 hour ago, Herr Barnack said:

Oh, hell - never mind.

It's Friday evening, I'm three red ales in and I am inclined to speaking the unvarnished truth of the matter which no one of genteel constitution wants to be subjected to. 😊

I would have enjoyed that unvarnished truth.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

10 hours ago, Leica001 said:

Makes no sense; are the batteries banned? I'm pretty sure a child could open a battery pack easier than a MP battery compartment. 

Looks like they have child resistant packaging you may need scissors to open, with extra warnings.

https://energizer.asia/Australia-Coin-battery-standards/

8 hours ago, Studienkamera said:

Yes, very effective. Almost adult resistant as well.

That applies to lithium coin batteries over 20mm in diameter. An SR44 is not more than 10mm.  Something here is not lining up with the claim regarding the MP battery compartment. In any case, child proof IS adult proof in my experience, and just getting into the damn packaging is likely to cause injury. Of course, the same can be said for trying to open the MP battery cover, so we are back where we started. 

Utter bureaucratic bullshit. You can’t legislate against stupid. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mute-on said:

That applies to lithium coin batteries over 20mm in diameter. An SR44 is not more than 10mm.

The legislation just says 'a small, single cell battery with a diameter greater than the battery’s height' though there is an extra requirement for marking a warning on 20mm batteries:

https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/F2020L01659

I suppose this technically doesn't apply to the 1/3N  the MP can also use.