Leica MP & battery compartment issues (Australia only?)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

"The leica MP film cameras are not available anymore from the Leica stores until they modify the battery compartment as of last Friday by the authorities"

just saw this in an advert (for a new black paint MP) in "Gumtree" (well known dealer in Sydney - I've bought from him many times over the recent years)

Does anyone know what he means from the above description - can't find anything on searches. Is this a worldwide or just an Australian issue (or a hoax/bs)?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, romualdo said:

"The leica MP film cameras are not available anymore from the Leica stores until they modify the battery compartment as of last Friday by the authorities"

just saw this in an advert (for a new black paint MP) in "Gumtree" (well known dealer in Sydney - I've bought from him many times over the recent years)

Does anyone know what he means from the above description - can't find anything on searches. Is this a worldwide or just an Australian issue (or a hoax/bs)?

Maybe this?:

https://www.9news.com.au/national/new-australian-laws-on-button-batteries-take-effect-today/c5053294-ebd3-48a6-a8e9-145004a69758

I don't know if the DAG replacement battery cap would be sufficiently child-safe - it has a coin slot and seems like it might be harder to grip and loosen by hand, but I've never tried one:

https://www.dagcamera.com/store/p187/Leica_M6_Style_Battery_Cap.html

Edited by Anbaric

40 minutes ago, Anbaric said:

Maybe this?:

https://www.9news.com.au/national/new-australian-laws-on-button-batteries-take-effect-today/c5053294-ebd3-48a6-a8e9-145004a69758

I don't know if the DAG replacement battery cap would be sufficiently child-safe - it has a coin slot and seems like it might be harder to grip and loosen by hand, but I've never tried one:

https://www.dagcamera.com/store/p187/Leica_M6_Style_Battery_Cap.html

My MP was supplied with two battery caps, one knurled and one with a coin slot like the DAG one. Is this no longer the case?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Matlock said:

My MP was supplied with two battery caps, one knurled and one with a coin slot like the DAG one. Is this no longer the case?

Is the coin slot version also grippable at its edge like the standard version? I've never seen one. I guess the ideal version for this situation would lie flush with the body like many button cell battery caps on SLRs do, so it wouldn't be possible to open it without a coin or tool. Not sure if that's possible with the Leica battery compartment. The DAG version seems to stand proud of the compartment, though there's no grip.

Edit: Maybe this is the same as the MP slotted version?:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/ufiles/60/1822360.jpg

Looks like it would still be possible to remove by hand.

Edited by Anbaric

7 minutes ago, Anbaric said:

Is the coin slot version also grippable at its edge like the standard version? I've never seen one. I guess the ideal version for this situation would lie flush with the body like many button cell battery caps on SLRs do, so it wouldn't be possible to open it without a coin or tool. Not sure if that's possible with the Leica battery compartment. The DAG version seems to stand proud of the compartment, though there's no grip.

It is grippable but it won't come undone with fingers if it has been closed with a coin, or at least mine doesn't.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Huss said:

This is ridiculous.  Children are made by the millions, every day.  Leica makes only a handful of MPs a week.

Where are the priorities?

When the parents stop them eating silver sweets.

I heard about these changes on morning TV last week but never thought they might endanger the availability of existing products.  I had to change batteries of my hammertone MP a few weeks ago while I was out in the city and found it extremely difficult to remove the battery cap. There is no way a child could have removed it. I hope the MP remains available.

I also changed the battery of my HP35S RPN pocket calculator last week and have to admit that even small children probably would be able to open its battery compartment. I hope that this is not the end for RPN calculators down under. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Studienkamera said:

I heard about these changes on morning TV last week but never thought they might endanger the availability of existing products.  I had to change batteries of my hammertone MP a few weeks ago while I was out in the city and found it extremely difficult to remove the battery cap. There is no way a child could have removed it. I hope the MP remains available.

I also changed the battery of my HP35S RPN pocket calculator last week and have to admit that even small children probably would be able to open its battery compartment. I hope that this is not the end for RPN calculators down under. 

has your Visoflex adapter (16473) arrived yet

I’ve always had great difficulty removing the knurled battery cover on my MP. I may install the slotted cover so I don’t need to fight to get it off the camera. 

i can’t see how any change to the current configuration of the MP battery cover could be useful. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, maxfairclough said:

Can confirm that Leica Australia cannot legally sell the Leica MP with the battery compartment since June 22nd. 

Germany will need to make an amendment. 

I read two times this thread,

"battery compartment" ?

I don't understand what is all about.

Can somebody explain please ?