Camera Obscura Repairs UK.... Problem 😔

monjue

2 hours ago, TasKiNG said:

Ok I understand your concern. Yes I took early retirement in August 2020 as I expect you saw on my LinkedIn. I should have said worked not work.
Just drop me an email or contact me via Linkedin if you want any more confirmation. I really am only trying to help.

Welcome to the forum David, and if you aren't connected fair enough, but you made us dance. But there is another odd coincidence buried in this thread that mimic's yours and it happened hours apart. So has Camera Obscura finally pulled his finger out, is he going to give people an eta, he uses 'we' like a serious company, as in a quote from the web site

"We service, repair, recondition, and customise photographic equipment. We offer premium quality standards at an affordable rate to customers. We have over 40 years combined experience in electrical and mechanical engineering."

Who are the 'we'? Where do forty years experience come from if it isn't farming out work given he only finished Uni in 2017? The truth is out there.

Edited by 250swb

I cannot find any suspicious IP connection - and it would be far better  customer relations for a company to acknowledge  that they read the forum and respond to concerns of members instead of playing the fake review game. So, for the time being, I accept this as genuine.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, 250swb said:

It's great news, but everybody seems to have got their AR glass except Martin, interesting that everybody suddenly is asking for AR glass, there must be a massive demand for it.

As per my last post, I don't have mine yet 😪.

Edited by MarkP

I would simply not use a business that did not freely publish a trading address, contact telephone numbers, and in this case the full name(s) of the proprietor / business owner(s) ( just a a forename?). Whose expertise adds up to the claimed 40 years experience? Very much Caveat Emptor to entrust valuable kit to an enterprise with so many warning flags apparent. 

• Like 6

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, bill_murray said:

I would simply not use a business that did not freely publish a trading address, contact telephone numbers, and in this case the full name(s) of the proprietor / business owner(s) ( just a a forename?). Whose expertise adds up to the claimed 40 years experience? Very much Caveat Emptor to entrust valuable kit to an enterprise with so many warning flags apparent. 

Agreed - which was why I started with an Elmar 5cm.
The procedure is not quite so anonymous as you imply, though you do need email to get to first base. Once he (Alexander Spencer) replies and he confirms he can fix whatever you want to send him, he sends an proforma (that includes the address) for you to complete and mail with your item.
What's missing is the phone number. Let's hope he publishes one soon.
In his favour is (a) no one has (yet) complained about his work* and (b) his turnaround time which, for me, was a lot less than anyone else quotes.

Malcolm Taylor only responds to the phone, not email, and has no website. But he is good to chat to, and the work is excellent.

Cameraworks seems to have so much work on that you might not get anything back for >6 months. If it hadn't been for that they might have been my first choice, as their website is so informative.

Leica are happy to take your equipment for repair, but will not tell you how much it will cost, what they will do and when they will return it. When they do return it 3+ months later, you will not get much info about what they've done, but it will look and perform like new.

If someone knows a (UK) company that repairs old cameras well, with good communications, within a short period of time, and for a low price, please tell me!

*Edit: I have just been reminded of @monjue's ongoing issue with a M6.

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 3

@monjue It is very sad news about the loss of your father - you have our heartfelt sympathies.

Have you heard anything else from Camera Obscura about your M6?  I honestly do not think they have simply stolen your M6.  I think ultimately you will have it returned to you.  That does not excuse this company's flagrantly unprofessional business practices, though.  They seriously need to get their act together. 

It is not acceptable at all that you paid £240 and when you received your M6 back from them the first time, the shutter release was no better than when you sent it in for repair.  As for the failed light meter, that may have been a bad coincidence of timing.  Some M6 cameras have light meter failures, depending on the serial # and the date of manufacture. 

JMHO but when you get your M6 back, write off the lost £240 to experience and find another camera repair shop.  Even though all are across the pond, we have Sherry Krauter, Don Goldberg and Youxin Ye located here in the United States.  All are very well regarded.  You could also send your M6 in to Leica HQ in Wetzlar, but you may have an extended delay in getting it back from them.

Best of luck, and please keep us updated.

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 2

On 5/13/2022 at 11:00 PM, 250swb said:

Welcome to the forum David, and if you aren't connected fair enough, but you made us dance. But there is another odd coincidence buried in this thread that mimic's yours and it happened hours apart. So has Camera Obscura finally pulled his finger out, is he going to give people an eta, he uses 'we' like a serious company, as in a quote from the web site

"We service, repair, recondition, and customise photographic equipment. We offer premium quality standards at an affordable rate to customers. We have over 40 years combined experience in electrical and mechanical engineering."

Who are the 'we'? Where do forty years experience come from if it isn't farming out work given he only finished Uni in 2017? The truth is out there.

I'm sorry many people are struggling with Alexander's lack of communication. I went through it and a couple of weeks ago I wrote a long review of my experience with them. I hope it helps somehow:

The 40 years combined experience in electronic and mechanical engineering is that of Alexander and his father. The fact remains that their lack of communication is a problem...

Edited by 4r36

1 hour ago, 4r36 said:

I'm sorry many people are struggling with Alexander's lack of communication. I went through it and a couple of weeks ago I wrote a long review of my experience with them. I hope it helps somehow:

The 40 years combined experience in electronic and mechanical engineering is that of Alexander and his father. The fact remains that their lack of communication is a problem...

Don't reply to me, address it to the people who still haven't got their camera back.

3 minutes ago, 250swb said:

Don't reply to me, address it to the people who still haven't got their camera back.

Please don't take me wrong. I just thought that it was reassuring to say that what's written on their website is not complete bullshit. I already had the chance to exchange some PM with Mark...

On 5/15/2022 at 3:40 PM, Herr Barnack said:

As for the failed light meter, that may have been a bad coincidence of timing.  Some M6 cameras have light meter failures, depending on the serial # and the date of manufacture.

Well maybe. But when someone takes a camera with a working meter apart and it's no longer working afterwards, I think the onus is on the technician to show that the obvious explanation isn't the correct one.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/15/2022 at 3:40 PM, Herr Barnack said:

@monjue It is very sad news about the loss of your father - you have our heartfelt sympathies.

Have you heard anything else from Camera Obscura about your M6?  I honestly do not think they have simply stolen your M6.  I think ultimately you will have it returned to you.  That does not excuse this company's flagrantly unprofessional business practices, though.  They seriously need to get their act together. 

It is not acceptable at all that you paid £240 and when you received your M6 back from them the first time, the shutter release was no better than when you sent it in for repair.  As for the failed light meter, that may have been a bad coincidence of timing.  Some M6 cameras have light meter failures, depending on the serial # and the date of manufacture. 

JMHO but when you get your M6 back, write off the lost £240 to experience and find another camera repair shop.  Even though all are across the pond, we have Sherry Krauter, Don Goldberg and Youxin Ye located here in the United States.  All are very well regarded.  You could also send your M6 in to Leica HQ in Wetzlar, but you may have an extended delay in getting it back from them.

Best of luck, and please keep us updated.

Hi there... UPDATE...

Camera Obscura UK (https://cameraobscurarepairs.co.uk) Still have not replied to my emails.. I keep sending them anyway in the hope they reply.

Yesterday I also contacted Trading standards here in the UK to lodge a complaint. 

I feel I have lost my camera and money. I will be doing the rounds on forums soon to warn others about this unprofessionalism from Camera Obscura.

I'm absolutely devastated.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, monjue said:

Hi there... UPDATE...

Camera Obscura UK (https://cameraobscurarepairs.co.uk) Still have not replied to my emails.. I keep sending them anyway in the hope they reply.

Yesterday I also contacted Trading standards here in the UK to lodge a complaint. 

I feel I have lost my camera and money. I will be doing the rounds on forums soon to warn others about this unprofessionalism from Camera Obscura.

I'm absolutely devastated.

That's now 2 months since their last contact, ignoring multiple emails? Hopeless at best, and a huge red flag for a technician without a public business address. Have you made this public on their social media? Have you considered sending them a formal demand for the return of your property they will have to sign for on delivery?

2 hours ago, Herr Barnack said:

@monjue  At this point, I would speak to an attorney. 

I would expect that a registered letter from an attorney threatening a lawsuit if they do not resolve this matter forthwith would get them to do the right thing.

It could be taken to the Small Cliams Court which is designed not incur the expense of solicitors.

How can you serve notice on a company that doesn’t have a correspondence address?

Are they listed at Companies House?

Is this them?

https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/11977063

Only one employee. Been in business a couple of years. 

6 minutes ago, andybarton said:

doesn’t have a correspondence address

The poster must have sent the camera somewhere so I guess you start there. I read it that the address isn't easily found, but it is on the estimate/acceptance form.

Edited by pedaes
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, LocalHero1953 said:

The address is known (79 Olive Avenue, Leigh-on-Sea, Essex, SS9 3PX) but the telephone number is not.

He claims to work from wherever he is, but tracking down the parents would be a very good start if a letter was addressed directly to them saying what the problem is. On 192.com there appears to be two other Spencer's living at the same address. Something along the lines of 'I am trying to get in contact with Alexander Spencer before starting Court proceedings' may work. Subscribe to 192.com and they will be able to provide more details on who is at the address.

Edited by 250swb