AE-L via Joystick

acg69

It's not that hard, come on:) Anyone who owns one should be able to answer it! I would REALLY like to know as I am using Spot and AEL almost exclusively and holding it to "stick" would be really cumbersome. Again, thanks for taking the time!

49 minutes ago, Luke_Miller said:

I don't have an SL2-S either, but I feel pretty sure you would have to hold the joystick down to lock the exposure.  That is the way the AE-L button on my Nikons work and it is how a half press of the SL shutter release works. 

On the Q2 for example (as well as other cameras I have had in the past, like the X100F) you press the AE-L button and you lock exposure for that shot. You don't have to keep it pressed with your finger as your are shooting. it was like that in earlier q2 firmware but it was eventually fixed.

I never use AE-L. Just use matrix/scene metering and adjust with EV correction if I’m shooting in Aperture priority. Otherwise I’m shooting manual exposure.

For AF, I keep things in MF mode and hitting the joystick button will trigger AF. Releasing joystick is equivalent to AF-L. Works like a charm.