Is the Q2 still worth buying in 2022

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Whatever you do, do not buy a Q2 now! The moment the Q3 is released the inbuilt software in the Q2 will lock it up rendering it of not being able to take a decent photograph, let alone an outstanding photograph or two. Irrespective of how good the photographer is! 🙄 😀

The Q2 is a superb camera and, unless the Q3 will cook dinner for me and clean the house, I have no plans to change mine when the Q3 comes along. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

On 2/21/2022 at 6:22 PM, yeatts said:

no thank you! 60mp - why?

Crop = digital zoom and that's why I might wait. It adds greatly to the flexibility of the M11 and would do the same for the Q3 only more so because digital zoom is the only way you can change lenses on a Q...

• Like 3

I'm certainly considering it myself. I parted ways with the original Q too soon and was surprised how much I found myself missing it (up to that point I simply wasn't sure 28mm was for me). No doubt a Q3 will have a better sensor, processor and battery life (and probably even a higher price to go with it). Will it come this year? Despite that bizarre Fotos app leak I'll take Leica's word that there will be no more new cameras in 2022. There was another Q on the 2022 roadmap on their wall, but I suspect it will be another special edition or perhaps even a Q2-P.

In terms of what I need out of a camera of its kind, the Q2 doesn't seem lacking. I'd actually jump on a Q2M in a heartbeat. There's such great longevity in the mono sensor performance, but I know there are going to be moments, even if they are likely to be in the single digit percentages, where I'd find myself longing for colour (and if I find room for a Q in work as well as pure self indulgent pleasure, then the regular Q2 covers my bases a little better).

• Like 3

• 8 months later...

I just bought a Q2 a few weeks ago specifically for travel as my only camera.  I really like the 28mm POV as the 28 Elmarit ASPH has been my most liked lens with all my environmental portraits of my children.  I thought about waiting for the inevitable Q3 but I need a camera now.  Even if the next generation was already announced, how long would it be until one could personally obtain one? 6 months?  I know availability is always a problem at launch with much anticipated Leica products.  

The Q2 definitely has the quality of photo production more than I need.  I would guess, the ability to charge in body, BSI sensor and faster processor to effect a faster autofocus and possibly face detection improvement would get me to upgrade when the time comes.  Just try to keep the present camera in good physical shape and keep all the boxes and accessories for resale.  

• Like 2

The Q2 is a fantastic tool and will certainly not hold anybody back from making great images, even well into the future. The next version is likely to have 60 megapixels and a tilt screen. Is either one of those things REALLY necessary? Just buy a used one, save thousands of dollars and ignore the endless, illusionary cycle of upgrades & consumerism. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Tilt screen?  I can live without it.

60mp?  Truth be told, 47mp is enough unless you want to make fine art life size prints of the USS Gerald R. Ford.

If the Q3 has noticeably better high ISO performance, or noticeably better image stabilization - then things would start to get interestinger.

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 3

As Q3 likely will have improved resolution  does expand usability when cropping is needed and makes the camera more versatile. 

if that’s the objective, waiting is more prudent. 

Or get the ghost edition, purely for cosmetic reasons, and for the limited production, knowing the Q2 is due to be replaced. 

• 1 month later...
On 2/18/2022 at 10:47 AM, Le Chef said:

I would ask the question, what specifically does the Q2 NOT have that would cause you to not buy it? The Q2 is a great camera, and a Q3 is not going to change that. Maybe you should wait for a Q4 just in case the Q3 doesn’t deliver the specifics that you’re looking for.

Waiting is a dangerous game. 

If you wait for the Q3 or Q4, who knows what could happen in the meantime?  The earth might be impacted by a gigantic asteroid, killing off the bulk of animal and human life and destroying the majority of photogenic destinations you want to travel to and photograph.  The global power grid would be decimated, and you wouldn't be able to charge your Q2 battery.

Get the Q2 and enjoy it now.  We know not what unspeakable horrors the future may bring down upon us.  😊

• Like 1

On 11/13/2022 at 11:18 PM, Phil75 said:

Please no tilt screen. Those rickety frames are prone to break. For me a non-purchase reason.

Do you have any stats regarding this or is it just FUD?

Never had problems with tilt screen, and I had a lot of different cameras of different brands. And, by reading on the internet, the percentage of people with a broken tilt screen is insignificant and in the same ballpark of people that got a broken shutter button or iso dial.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I am considering a Q2 Reporter at this moment. My dealer has one left.

I am also considering several M options. At present I have a Fujifilm GFX100 kit that produces amazing files but which gets little use really because I simply cannot be bothered to carry it around much. All up I would say that it's not far off 10kg (22lbs for those non metric types) excluding the pack to carry it all and the bits and bobs.

I realised I do not need 102MP much as I love the results and neither do I get much benefit from a camera system I don't feel enthusiastic about using. I will lose my shirt on the trade in value and have tied myself in knots trying to work out a way to keep both but I just come back to "why keep both just to only use one?".

I am not sure if a Q2 could be my only camera; However a Q2 with 60MP to crop? That probably could be. That means a crop of 25% of the frame is still 15MP and 20% is 12MP. It is not so long since 12MP was considered cutting edge! Certainly it's enough for the web and for prints to at least A3 if not A2. That would not be far off cropping 28-100 I think or about the difference between a 75 degree angle of view vs 23 degrees.

28mm is not my favourite focal length though. I am more a 50mm person so an M10-R with an Apo Lanthar 50 might be better and not much more expensive. Although I would lose so much - Auto focus, weather sealing, IBIS, electronic shutter, Macro to name a few.

My dealer reckons 6-10 months before a Q3 arrives in the shops although an annoucement a bit earlier.

If I determine a Q is the path to take, I would not hesitate to  buy one now and trade it for a 3 when that comes out probably. Better the system you actually shoot with than a nominally better system you do not use.

7 minutes ago, Kiwimac said:

28mm is not my favourite focal length though. I am more a 50mm person so an M10-R with an Apo Lanthar 50 might be better and not much more expensive. Although I would lose so much - Auto focus, weather sealing, IBIS, electronic shutter, Macro to name a few.

Then why not get a SL2/SL2s? It's slimmer and lighter than the GFX, has the features you miss, and you can mount either the M lenses or the amazing Sigmas if you want small and light.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Kiwimac said:

I am also considering several M options. At present I have a Fujifilm GFX100 kit that produces amazing files but which gets little use really because I simply cannot be bothered to carry it around much. All up I would say that it's not far off 10kg (22lbs for those non metric types) excluding the pack to carry it all and the bits and bobs.

I realised I do not need 102MP much as I love the results and neither do I get much benefit from a camera system I don't feel enthusiastic about using. I will lose my shirt on the trade in value and have tied myself in knots trying to work out a way to keep both but I just come back to "why keep both just to only use one?".

I am not sure if a Q2 could be my only camera; However a Q2 with 60MP to crop? That probably could be. That means a crop of 25% of the frame is still 15MP and 20% is 12MP. It is not so long since 12MP was considered cutting edge! Certainly it's enough for the web and for prints to at least A3 if not A2. That would not be far off cropping 28-100 I think or about the difference between a 75 degree angle of view vs 23 degrees.

My dealer reckons 6-10 months before a Q3 arrives in the shops although an annoucement a bit earlier.

If I determine a Q is the path to take, I would not hesitate to  buy one now and trade it for a 3 when that comes out probably. Better the system you actually shoot with than a nominally better system you do not use.

The Q2 Reporter would be an attractive option, even with the few complaints of the kevlar skin fraying around the edges. 

The thing to take into consideration is that when the Q3 is announced, it will likely be 6+ months before they are readily available.  That seems to hold true for Leica's most in demand cameras and lenses.

And please, Leica:  Don't hobble the Q3 with a frail tilt screen or articulated screen.  A sturdy, reliable fixed screen is infinitely preferable.

Edited by Herr Barnack

vor 10 Stunden schrieb Simone_DF:

Do you have any stats regarding this or is it just FUD?

Never had problems with tilt screen, and I had a lot of different cameras of different brands. And, by reading on the internet, the percentage of people with a broken tilt screen is insignificant and in the same ballpark of people that got a broken shutter button or iso dial.

Personal experience and preference. As you may have.

• Like 1

On 11/13/2022 at 11:59 AM, trickness said:

The Q2 is a fantastic tool and will certainly not hold anybody back from making great images, even well into the future. The next version is likely to have 60 megapixels and a tilt screen. Is either one of those things REALLY necessary? Just buy a used one, save thousands of dollars and ignore the endless, illusionary cycle of upgrades & consumerism. 

The next version is very unlikely to have a tilt screen.

10 hours ago, Kiwimac said:

As much as I love my Q2 Reporter there's no way it could be a one and only.  If you're lugging around 22lbs of GFX - change your lens configuration.  :)

Pick up the 35-70 right now for the insanely low price of $499.  You could probably resell it later and at the very least break even after it goes back to the regular price. Very light.  Flexible and sharp.  Maybe swap your GFX100 for the GFX100S if you can. 

It's a very easy combo to carry around for landscape or walkaround duty.  Very different to the Q2 but great at what it does. 

Unlikely I'd swap my Q2R for a Q3 but I would love a tilt screen a la X100V and a freakin' USB-C port for charging/connectivity etc.

Edited by liggy