Is the Q2 still worth buying in 2022

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I own a Q2 Mono and a Q2 Reporter and I can't say enough about this amazing camera. I'd buy the Q2 now, and if/when the Q3 launches in June/July 2023, you can decide then if the new stats are needed versus the incredible stats you already have with the Q2. Selling your Q2 is an option if you decide to grab a Q3, you won't lose that much money on it and the love of Leica you experienced over the past six months or so... that might make up for it?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

To the question: I believe so and did so today.

Had the Q very early, am a long time M-User and changed to the SL-System, which I dearly love but never stopped to long after the Q which I‘ve sold for the M.

Went through some tests and personalising of the settings of the Q2 today and am again in AWW about this crazy great little camera.

Even compared it in 35mm crop with my SL2s and the apo-summicron-sl 35. Really only a negligible different in near to mid-field sharpness and the bokeish background. No real comparison yet, but this first check was sobering on how really, really good the Q2 is. But of course, the 35mm will stay ;)

Honestly, it is crazy how good the Q2 is.

I‘ve also tried the Fuji X100V this December as a small alternative to the SL2s system, and really wanted to like it. But the final image quality was just not where I wanted it to be and the handling, while nice, was just somehow lust lacking in comparison to me (with the SL2s and after many years of M and a few years ago the Q1). So I‘ve sold it after 4 weeks. And now the Q2 is here and man, what a camera! 🙂🙂

Wanted to buy the reporter, but after some touch and feel the standard was the better fit for me. Only added the original grip, which makes the Q2 slightly bigger but fits well and holding the cam is just a bit better (large hands and meanwhile used to the SL2s ;) )

Edited by Daniel C.1975
  • Like 4

On 1/4/2023 at 5:23 PM, bobtodrick said:

Ralph Gibson stated years ago that he started out with a 35mm and used it exclusively for five years before he added the 50mm to his bag...that it took that long to master the 35 and that many people in his opinion never actually mastered any of the focal lengths in their camera bags.

Seems to have worked for him!!

Really worth thinking about!!

Even if a Q3 comes out, so what? 
mug you what to go for the next iteration you only pay the difference. 

I spend so much time finding excuses for not buying the camera that I am still amazed that I did it. 

q,q2,q3 it does not matter. 

the smile on your face when you see the results is much more worth. 

it’s just a joy to take pictures with. 

and I am always impressed by the blur that the 28 mm does in near field. 
it makes addictive. 

this is my favorite clean lens that can do 80% of all things I like to do. 

for the rest I need other lenses. 

and it will keep me busy for many years. 

• Like 6

vor 13 Minuten schrieb Pelu2010:

Even if a Q3 comes out, so what?

!!!…..

I spend so much time finding excuses for not buying the camera that I am still amazed that I did it.  - 😂😂😂 That‘s so me 
the smile on your face when you see the results is much more worth. 
….

it’s just a joy to take pictures with. 
….

and it will keep me busy for many years. 

🙂

…. Couldn‘t agree more and believe so(your last sentence)

Edited by Daniel C.1975

• 3 weeks later...

Mid Nov order of Q2 Ghost came in. Looking forward to a couple of trips where a single lens will work fine and will put it in good use. 

Just returned from a first trip after picking up used X-Pro3, 16-55mm and 8-16mm. Can’t get used to the numerous menu options, settings available. It was a way to save weight instead of a full SL2 complement but the trade offs weren’t worth it. Sold the lot, and bought a 18-56mm TL despite it’s APS-C for the weight savings if I’ll be using the 16-35mm mainly with the SL2 on a trip, so not having to bring the 24-90mm. 

Also related, bought a Q2 case through Etsy from Artisanworkstation based in HK, very nicely done and a glove fit. Recommended.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 1/5/2023 at 5:23 AM, bobtodrick said:

Ralph Gibson stated years ago that he started out with a 35mm and used it exclusively for five years before he added the 50mm to his bag...that it took that long to master the 35 and that many people in his opinion never actually mastered any of the focal lengths in their camera bags.

Seems to have worked for him!!

I’m actually pausing over 40 years of photography to follow this tenet. 

I’m buying an M10-R and the Apo Summicron 50mm and have decided to shoot nothing else for at least a year. 

At the end of the year I’ll consider whether I feel I really missed anything else. 

At some point I might shift to the M11-P with 60MP and I suppose I could shoot 35 and crop…!

However if the Q3 turns out to be a marvel I might just move to that. 

Q2 can do so many things, if you can imagine them. Can see them. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, o2mpx said:

Mid Nov order of Q2 Ghost came in. Looking forward to a couple of trips where a single lens will work fine and will put it in good use. 

Just returned from a first trip after picking up used X-Pro3, 16-55mm and 8-16mm. Can’t get used to the numerous menu options, settings available. It was a way to save weight instead of a full SL2 complement but the trade offs weren’t worth it. Sold the lot, and bought a 18-56mm TL despite it’s APS-C for the weight savings if I’ll be using the 16-35mm mainly with the SL2 on a trip, so not having to bring the 24-90mm. 

Also related, bought a Q2 case through Etsy from Artisanworkstation based in HK, very nicely done and a glove fit. Recommended.

What menu items are you regaining to? 
I have the xpro2 and I also enjoy shooting with it. It’s different but also enjoyable. 
i like that I can switch between a real view and a digital view. 
so I can switch the look of images and jump back and forth. 

I find the app faster and more responsive 

and I like to feel the camera in the hand. 

the results are very good too. 

it was the first of the new “viewfinder” cameras that I fell for in 2011. (Back then the xpro1) and I compared it then to the m9. 

I liked to work with the hybrid viewfinder a lot. 

and I enjoy the options of the menu too. 

is it a lot in the menu, yes !!

is it well structured , no. 

but with the manual I get along …. 

i learned photography from a manual. 😊 

I didn’t have anything else. 

But with YT and all the new options of learning a camera , i find it easy to get around. 

sometimes I think, this option would be good in a Leica menu. 

i would love to an expert menu for more in depth things to enter. 

but I can get along. 

So YT i recommend it for menu learning.