M11 Hotshoe and Godox triggers

Stevejack

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've been taking some photos with off-camera flash lately, mostly just messing about with the kids in the living room but I'm enjoying playing around and shaping the light. 

I have a couple of Godox flashes which I use with my Sony camera, triggering them with the X-pro-S trigger. The Sony hotshoe is larger than normal, so it's my understanding that the X-pro trigger won't physically fit into the Leica hotshoe.

There are other versions of the trigger for Canon / Nikon etc which should fit the Leica, but my question is - if I can get a godox trigger to physically fit into the M11 hotshoe, is there any risk of damage to the Leica? Has anyone managed to get the Godox trigger working reliably in Manual mode on their M10 or M11 Leica?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, LocalHero1953 said:

FWIW I use Canon version Godox triggers with CL, SL and SL2-S without problems. Before that I used Nikon version Pocketwizard triggers with the M240. You should have no trouble.

Thanks Paul, sounds like there's no reason it won't work on the M. 

I actually just found a hotshoe adapter in my kit (Sony to Olympus I think) which might mean I can get my Sony trigger to work... I'll give it a try tomorrow and report back. 

• Like 1

I also use Godox flash system. X-Pro controller, 2x AD200, V350 and TT600...
It is model with hotshoe for the Nikon because Leica cameras use Nikon hotshoe
but still you don't have TTL end HSS support. Only manual mode work.
That is ok with me because I use flash mostly in my studio.
Until now I used this on the Leica SL, SL2 and SL2-S. This Friday I will finally 
get my Leica M11 and can check how it work with Godox flash system.
On my SL cameras some time I got problems when I have flash or controller mounted.
From time to time the camera just stop responding, nothing worked, no button, EVF and LCD
screen got frozen and even On/Off switch was dead. The camera simply was frozen in ON state.
Only remedy was to take battery out of the camera and put it back in. 
I hope that M11 will not have this kind of problems but who knows...

• Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Since I have a few triggers here I can give you the answer you are looking for.

GODOX/Flashpoint trigger work only in M mode, no TTL and no HSS  ( look for SF-60 for that) it is a different hotshot from SL2

On the M11 the Sony XproS and R2ProII triggers fit in hotshot and work.

the X2T Nikon and X2T Canon both work the same on the M11.

Aldo you may think that the Leica. hotshot contact are the same as Nikon , THEY ARE NOT! look similar but wiring is different for the different pins. there for the Nikon flash will never work on TTL mode on the Leica cameras.

you can still use the Nikon extension cable with SF-60 flash for off camera work in TTL.

You can also use the Nissin i60A  with current firmware v9.7 in combination with Leica SF C1 for off camera TTL.  For $15 Nissin updates your firmware.

Good luck

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Stevejack said:

I've been taking some photos with off-camera flash lately, mostly just messing about with the kids in the living room but I'm enjoying playing around and shaping the light. 

I have a couple of Godox flashes which I use with my Sony camera, triggering them with the X-pro-S trigger. The Sony hotshoe is larger than normal, so it's my understanding that the X-pro trigger won't physically fit into the Leica hotshoe.

There are other versions of the trigger for Canon / Nikon etc which should fit the Leica, but my question is - if I can get a godox trigger to physically fit into the M11 hotshoe, is there any risk of damage to the Leica? Has anyone managed to get the Godox trigger working reliably in Manual mode on their M10 or M11 Leica?

if you have so many Sony-godox flash already you can use one of them to be a master just for trigger.

Good has not updated Master/slave, I know we don't want to use does associations anymore.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Photoworks said:

Since I have a few triggers here I can give you the answer you are looking for.

GODOX/Flashpoint trigger work only in M mode, no TTL and no HSS  ( look for SF-60 for that) it is a different hotshot from SL2

On the M11 the Sony XproS and R2ProII triggers fit in hotshot and work.

the X2T Nikon and X2T Canon both work the same on the M11.

Aldo you may think that the Leica. hotshot contact are the same as Nikon , THEY ARE NOT! look similar but wiring is different for the different pins. there for the Nikon flash will never work on TTL mode on the Leica cameras.

you can still use the Nikon extension cable with SF-60 flash for off camera work in TTL.

You can also use the Nissin i60A  with current firmware v9.7 in combination with Leica SF C1 for off camera TTL.  For $15 Nissin updates your firmware.

Good luck

Thank you, I didn't get a chance to try this last night so I appreciate the info. I'll take a close look and see if I can get it working, funny I was sure the Sony hotshoe was larger than the Leica's and assumed the x-pro wouldn't physically fit (also didn't want to try in case I damaged something, if others warned me against it!). 

Thanks again,

I have both the Nikon Godox Xpro I use with my Leica M10 and Sony Godox Xpro which I use with my Sony camera.   The Sony Xpro has electronic contacts along the front edge that all modern Sony flashes and triggers have.  It will slide into the Leica accessory shoe but they may contact the accessory pins at the front of the Leica shoe.   I have never tested to see if this would damage the trigger or the camera but it sure feels like it might.  Hence why I bought the Nikon trigger for the Leica.  It has worked fine for me, albeit only in manual mode as others have mentioned.  There are a few occasions outdoors when I do wish Godox made a Leica Xpro which supported HSS. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/2/2022 at 8:58 PM, LEGEND said:

I also use Godox flash system. X-Pro controller, 2x AD200, V350 and TT600...
It is model with hotshoe for the Nikon because Leica cameras use Nikon hotshoe
but still you don't have TTL end HSS support. Only manual mode work.
That is ok with me because I use flash mostly in my studio.
Until now I used this on the Leica SL, SL2 and SL2-S. This Friday I will finally 
get my Leica M11 and can check how it work with Godox flash system.
On my SL cameras some time I got problems when I have flash or controller mounted.
From time to time the camera just stop responding, nothing worked, no button, EVF and LCD
screen got frozen and even On/Off switch was dead. The camera simply was frozen in ON state.
Only remedy was to take battery out of the camera and put it back in. 
I hope that M11 will not have this kind of problems but who knows...

Finally someone has the same problem as me 😆

I just figured it out, see my post in SL section: 

In short:

The layout of Nikon flash mount looks the same or similar as Leica, but the protocols are different. Even worse, it will mess the camera up. No kidding. (software for sure, don't know if it damages hardware)

Leica + Nikon flash works, i.e. press shutter release and the flash goes off and the photos is fine, BUT if you take like 200 shots, you will find some shutter release pressings will not fire. Even worse, the camera crashes i.e. LCD/EVF freeze up and the only solution is pulling the battery out. (In my studio session, it happens several times, roughly once per hour. I took a lot of subjects in short time) Even it works, as a long time studio photographer, I can tell there is a delay between the shutter release and actual flash fire (I compared with my Nikon system plus Nikon version flash)

Just simply block all the rest pin contacts and leave the center pin only - this will fix everything.

I believe Leica M shares the same flash mount layout as SL, but since M does not heavily utilize the live view (M can use optical view finder, or, if you want, you can turn on the live view on back LCD, but with SL, either back LCD or EVF, there is always a live view working!), I think the chance that M camera crashes is much lower than SL. So before your camera system crashes, you can still take photos with Nikon flash, just a bit slow - but there is something funny going on inside anyway!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

lol it seems like creating a nicer web page just for leica is part of the source-code deal.  Their entire website design is very 1990 but only leica page is 2015.  (no, not 2020 yet)

Finally leica has opened the source-code, it's very late decision which I guess they lost some customers for not doing it soon enough. 

16 hours ago, jaeger said:

lol it seems like creating a nicer web page just for leica is part of the source-code deal.  Their entire website design is very 1990 but only leica page is 2015.  (no, not 2020 yet)

Finally leica has opened the source-code, it's very late decision which I guess they lost some customers for not doing it soon enough. 

do we know that Leica provided the code or is that just your guess? If it’s reverse engineereed would need to test for full compatibility.

Gordon

26 minutes ago, FlashGordonPhotography said:

do we know that Leica provided the code or is that just your guess? If it’s reverse engineereed would need to test for full compatibility.

Gordon

Apparently Leica is involved, see post #3, 4 and 5: 

• Like 1