Leica Q3 predictions / ruminations

5 minutes ago, nicci78 said:

It should be soon enough because it is already inside Fotos 3.0 app. 

That was my thinking too, but I suppose they could have made a huge mistake having accidentally uploaded early renders. I agree though, it's a curiously timed error, and since I assume it is their best selling camera I suppose it would make sense to update it sooner rather giving it an extended four/five year life cycle. If it does come this year though, I wonder how hard it will be to get one. Q2s were in high demand at launch if memory serves, and everything is made worse right now with the ongoing semiconductor shortages, shipping issues...etc. 

Specs wise I think my biggest wants would be a new processor, better af and the internal storage option from the M11 carried over. If they can improve the latency of the EVF then that would be a plus too (keep the resolution the same, just make it more responsive and calibrate the EVF and LCD so they're a better match for colour and contrast accuracy). The sensor resolution could stay the same as far as I'm concerned, but within an improved BSI design. 

I am glad to see another version of my favourite Leica camera. 
Q were awesome. Q2 was a nice evolution. But far from perfect. 
I hope that Q3 will bring a way better sensor with up to date AF speed. 
If Q3 has phase detect AF = instant buy 

Please make it 24mm. With 60MP it will make more sense to have a wider angle of view 

Edited by nicci78

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 minutes ago, nicci78 said:

I hope that Q3 will bring a way better sensor with up to date AF speed. 
If Q3 has phase detect AF = instant buy 

The best you can get is SL2 level AF.

For further improvements, we have to wait for Panasonic's next iteration to make its way to Leica (1 year after Panasonic seems to be the average timeframe) and the Maestro IV

Panasonic said that future GH6 will have phase detect AF. 
I guess that it should be possible to have a Q3 with it. 
S2 and S2R shouldn’t be too far away. And then SL3 too. 
All three will absolutely need to bring phase detect into L-mount alliance. 
DFD AF is killing the mount. 

FWIW, I spoke to my local Leica dealer today.  They said they heard the rumor that the Q3 was coming too.

I asked about the M11 sensor.  They said they hadn't heard that but heard that it had an articulated screen.

I asked about a lens other than a 28mm.  They said they hadn't heard that either.

They did not, however, tell me what they did hear.  

I'm first on the list for it as of now.  At least I'll be able to make the decision to take it or not if and when it's released.  

Edited by Dr. G

Ok it is just a rumour.
I misread the informations. However Panasonic head of photography acknowledged in March 2021 that DFD needs major improvements and that some new hardware may help it. 

New hardware? Phase detect or time of flight sensor. Either one or both would be great. 

• Like 1

vor 9 Stunden schrieb nicci78:

But where is my CL2 ? 
CL needs an update before the Q2…

An update for a system that has been discontinued? 😂

There has been nothing in the TL/CL system since 2017. How much more time must pass before people are willing to accept the truth?

I love my Leica Q, but my credit card is ready for the Q3. It’s a great camera for travelling. I hope it have a 60meg sensor,  we will be able to crop with higher resolution. The tilt screen would be a nice add-on for macro mode. 😀

Edited by ASE001

If it was 35mm I would sell everything I have to own it. Cropping 28mm is not the same as shooting 35mm in the first place. The Leica legend was built on 35mm and 50mm shooting IMO.

I loved my Leica Q (1), but in the end found the wider angle aspect too limiting.

I had to laugh, on an episode of Sky Masters Of Photography where the contestants were given a Q2 and an SL to use, guest judge Martin Parr criticised the submissions for being 'addicted to wide angle'.

• Like 2

Leica loves nothing more than to protect its M line. 
So don’t expect a QL with interchangeable lens. Nor an electronic M. 

Dr Kaufmann found that Q2 is too cheap. (Meaning already cannibalising the other lines more than they allowed it) 

A 35mm Q3 will eat M line lunch aka 35mm. 

I only wish to get a f/1.7 24mm lens with 60MP. 
We will still get. 
- 28mm f/2 with 44MP. 
- 35mm f/2.5 with 28MP.  
- 50mm f/3.5 with 14MP.
- 75mm f/5.3 with 6MP  

Way more useful than. 
28mm f/1.7 60MP. 
35mm f/2 38MP. 
50mm f/3 18MP. 
75mm f/4.6 8MP. 

4 minutes ago, nicci78 said:

A 35mm Q3 will eat M line lunch aka 35mm. 

I'm not sure why. People will still want to use their M lenses, and therefore an M body with interchangeable manual lenses.

What is more dangerous about a 35mm Q3 than a Q2 with 28mm and cropping?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, nicci78 said:

Leica loves nothing more than to protect its M line. 
So don’t expect a QL with interchangeable lens. Nor an electronic M. 

Dr Kaufmann found that Q2 is too cheap. (Meaning already cannibalising the other lines more than they allowed it) 

Because you are assuming that a Leica Q equals a Leica M, but many people are either uncomfortable using manual focus all the time or not interested at all in rangefinders.

If you don't cannibalize yourself, other people will. I have no problem moving to Sigma or Panasonic or Canon or Fuji or whatever. 

• Like 3

I love 28mm therefore I love Q2
I stop using any 28mm on M camera since the Q. 

Q were design as test unit for SL. But success were unexpected. I am sure that 28mm M lenses must have suffered by Q/Q2. 
Not sure if Leica really want to replicate that with 35mm or 50mm which are both the raison d’être of M system . 

competition with other brand is not really relevant. Leica mostly compete with themselves. 
BMW did not compare themselves with Dacia or Renault. The latters can make better cars, but for some BMW owners they will never be consider as an option no matter what. 

One thing is sure : 28mm the reason of the Q and Q2 success not a deterrent. 
I love 28mm and do not care for 35mm. 
35mm crop is quite similar like shooting with 35mm on M camera : you got out of frame view. 

With 60MP Q3 will never have 35mm. It will stay at 28mm or go wider. Not tighter. 
Because you may gain 90mm crop with 9MP but losing the much more useful 28mm will be a deal breaker for most.