D-Lux7 VS CL

Xue

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi I am currently using Cl with 18mm. Could any one tell me about how big the difference if use JPG sooc these two cameras compare. I like that dlux zoom and compact  and I saw the pictures online really can not tell big difference. Can someone tell me more. I only share pictures online no commercial purpose.

I've had the opportunity to use both. I think you cannot compare the results if you look closely at digital files or if you print, given 2 main reasons :

to summarize the 2 main differences in IQ in my view I would say :

. CL files are much more usable/workable in post-processing. You get much better results as soon as you process files with the CL. Particularly with the L 18mm : it is a low contrast / high res Lens which allows for easy post processing

. in low light, there is absolutely no comparison. The CL is in another league. The D-lux loses detail rapidly as ISOs get higher whereas the CL remains usable

Though, as @Le Chef wrote, if your aim is to publish pics on social media, you may not tell any difference.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Le Chef said:

And if you’re only ever going to use jpgs it seems a waste of money to me.

Because it is truely different from pictures by phone. I just need a compact sooc camera and the fuji color can be easily get bored with.

1 hour ago, Le Chef said:

You would be better off learning how to use post production software and shooting RAW than messing about changing cameras which make no difference when all you do is post jpgs on social media.

I have actually used FF and many lens for years. I'm quite familiar with LR. I just got tired with processing photos and heavy gears😄

1 hour ago, didier said:

I've had the opportunity to use both. I think you cannot compare the results if you look closely at digital files or if you print, given 2 main reasons :

to summarize the 2 main differences in IQ in my view I would say :

. CL files are much more usable/workable in post-processing. You get much better results as soon as you process files with the CL. Particularly with the L 18mm : it is a low contrast / high res Lens which allows for easy post processing

. in low light, there is absolutely no comparison. The CL is in another league. The D-lux loses detail rapidly as ISOs get higher whereas the CL remains usable

Though, as @Le Chef wrote, if your aim is to publish pics on social media, you may not tell any difference.

Thank you that's quite helpful. What I need is just the leica color. How do you find the sooc jpg colors. Is the dlux lack of so called leica feel more than cl?

1 hour ago, Xue said:

Thank you that's quite helpful. What I need is just the leica color. How do you find the sooc jpg colors. Is the dlux lack of so called leica feel more than cl?

The D-Lux is a nice camera, but the CL has (in my view) a well-thought (perfect for me) UI and is much better, as explained before, at higher ISOs.

To shoot daylight, the D-Lux is a fine camera and I find colors very good. Whenever I need to shoot at higher ISOs there is no comparison. I find the CL retains good colors longer when you push ISOs.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Marac said:

iPhone are great for social media, I use my iPhone12 almost always for that kind of thing.

Maybe to get the 'Leica colour' you should grab an M9/ME and really push the boat out, why not.

I'm not that confident to use manual focus all the time may get tired with that😂

I have a CL and now the Panasonic LX100M2 which is basically the same as the D-Lux 7 from Leica. It's easier to pocket and lighter than my CL and is nicer to carry in a jacket pocket. I feel like the CL is a better camera for IQ and has better ISO performance. If I wanted to go and take photos, I would rather take my CL, SL2-s, or Q. If I want to have something with me when I didn't plan on taking photos but want something more creative than my iPhone, the LX100m2/D-Lux7 fits the role best.

• Like 1