Negative carriers size for black borders

Aryel

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Aryel,

I hope those masks are okay.

Kienzle is a very special company, but I was a little disappointed with their masks for the Focomat IIc. The black paint came off quite easily.

Still, they do make the right things. Like the masks that allow to include borders. In that sense they continued what Leitz did: all Leitz 135mm masks for the Focomat Ic and the Valoy II included a bit of the border.

Michael

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, M.Hilo said:

Aryel,

Kienzle is a very special company, but I was a little disappointed with their masks for the Focomat IIc. The black paint came off quite easily.

Still, they do make the right things. Like the masks that allow to include borders. In that sense they continued what Leitz did: all Leitz 135mm masks for the Focomat Ic and the Valoy II included a bit of the border.

Michael

If they did, it was most likely to account for the image area of wide-angle lenses, which may send light up around the edges slightly more than normal lenses.

20 hours ago, M.Hilo said:

Aryel,

Michael

Hi,

They just arrived. Looking good, will try out in the coming days and update.  For these ones, they charged me a bit extra for the custom sizes (26x38 and 57x57). 

Thanks a lot to everyone for the good advices!

My first trial 😊
I went with the speed easel and the metal bar in the enlarger. The bars aren’t moving straight anymore. This is why some of the borders vary in sizes. This photo was taken with a 35mm and the image touches the sprocket in some places. I will switch to the easel next round  should be easier (I think).

Still quite like the way it came out! Thanks a lot everyone!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

M2 or M3, summicron 35 v1, rollei retro 400s in rodinal (1+50). Scan of a print on ilford mgfb. 

Merry Christmas to everyone 🎉

Edited by Aryel
  • Like 2

Nice first result! The print or the scan of it, has quite a bit of contrast. Consider going down a bit in contrast, this could change the border.

I assume your easel is just keeping the paper flat and has no visual role on the outside of the border? I don't know what a speedeasel does, except the word speed frightens me when it comes to analog printing.

Now you just experiment further

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, M.Hilo said:

I assume your easel is just keeping the paper flat and has no visual role on the outside of the border? I don't know what a speedeasel does, except the word speed frightens me when it comes to analog printing.

This is correct, it does only one thing: keep the paper flat and fixed white borders. I think it is speedy because nothing can be adjusted!

Thanks for the contrast suggestion too. 

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This is looking fantastic, Aryel.I really like the setup of the second print, too. Someone who did black borders and all sorts of variations on them really well was Diane Arbus. It's well worth having a look at a lot of her prints (the borders are way down the list of why it is worth looking at her work, but thet are great in their own right).

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, stray cat said:

This is looking fantastic, Aryel.I really like the setup of the second print, too. Someone who did black borders and all sorts of variations on them really well was Diane Arbus. It's well worth having a look at a lot of her prints (the borders are way down the list of why it is worth looking at her work, but thet are great in their own right).

Thanks a lot! I was familiar with a few of her photos (without knowing it was hers). I took a look and such amazing works. I just ordered ‘an aperture monograph’.  Interestingly, I did not really noticed the borders before looking again. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Aryel said:

Thanks a lot! I was familiar with a few of her photos (without knowing it was hers). I took a look and such amazing works. I just ordered ‘an aperture monograph’.  Interestingly, I did not really noticed the borders before looking again. 

I'm glad you were aware of her work and have ordered a book. To my way of thinking there has been no greater photographer. Her borders are merely decorations on the icing on the cake.

Getting there. Thank you everyone. Just need to spend some time to explore more now.

m2 or m3, not sure about the lens. Trix printed on mgfb and scanned. 

• Like 4

On 12/25/2021 at 4:16 AM, Aryel said:

Getting there. Thank you everyone. Just need to spend some time to explore more now.

m2 or m3, not sure about the lens. Trix printed on mgfb and scanned. 

What kind of fish is that?

17 hours ago, Aryel said:

It is tuna. Plenty of delicious dishes to tryout in the market based on fresh tuna (this was taken in Tokyo). 

How do you process your film?

I invite you to view my recent tests of T-Max 400 and Delta 400 here:

Edited by Ornello
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Got a happy accident on this one:

I did not intend for the left margin to not be straight but I really like it this way. It almost follows the body inclination and it adds to the photo. It is more subtle on the print than on the scan though. 

• Like 1

It also looks like the sheet of paper was not in straight.

and what's weird is that the top and right borders look to be masked off with the easel, but not the left and bottom borders

that's quite an achievement, ha.

But nothing to worry over, you'll get it right. The two bladed RRB easels are excellent!

• Haha 1

On 1/9/2022 at 3:06 PM, M.Hilo said:

But nothing to worry over, you'll get it right. The two bladed RRB easels are excellent!

I really like it, only trouble is sometimes it is a bit difficult for me to keep the paper straight. 

How do you insert the paper? Is there any tips to avoid touching the paper too much (beside practice)?  

One thing that I never noticed before doing it and really enjoy is how the borders differ from negative to negative. They are really part of the image.

This being said, on most of my images, the left and right borders do not come up black but bleed.  Is it related to the lens and aperture used whilst shooting?

3 hours ago, Aryel said:

This being said, on most of my images, the left and right borders do not come up black but bleed.  Is it related to the lens and aperture used whilst shooting?

I wondered about this too and do not understand it. You mean the left and right borders look white-ish, right?

Perhaps someone else knows? I thought perhaps you're doing some experimental film developing, or using a weird film.