Summicron-M 90/2 (1980) vs Summicron-R 90/2 about bokeh

Shepherdphotographer

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Good morning, I'm sorry if my English is not good, first of all. I am writing to ask you for an opinion, preferably deriving from personal experience. I own and use many Leitz lenses (Leica R), modified in the bayonet, on Nikon D810: among these the Summilux-R 80 / 1.4 and the Summicron-R 90/2. I am thinking of buying a mirrorless, which would allow me to use, among other things, also the Leica M lenses. In particular, the first one I would like to buy would be the Summucron-M 90/2 from 1980, but, even if I know a lot, Leica R lenses very well, I don't know Leica M lenses. I thought I'd read up, looking in Putt's Compendium, where people write mainly about sharpness, an aspect that interests me very little. In fact, I appreciate the blur (first of all), the color rendering, the tonal passages, the delicacy. I was very surprised by observing photos found on the internet taken with the Summicron-M 90/2 of 1980. It has 15 blades, against the 8 of the Summicron-R 90/2, which at the widest apertures is dreamlike and for this rendering, this feature , I'm in love with it, but the question is this: is the character, the personality of the Summicron-M 90/2 the same as the 90/2 R? The blur should be even more beautiful, soft, considering the 15 blades, against the 8, right? On a mirrorless (non-Leica), would the Summicron-R 90/2 lose quality, having been designed for analog rangefinder Leica? I thank everyone in advance. I hope you are available to help a neophyte who is now approaching the world of Leica M and who only knows the Leica R well.

19 minutes ago, Shepherdphotographer said:

I was very surprised by observing photos found on the internet taken with the Summicron-M 90/2 of 1980. It has 15 blades, against the 8 of the Summicron-R 90/2,

I am sure, the 90mm Summicron-M from 1980 does not have 15 blades. The version from 1960  and earlier had 15, the next version from 1963 had only 12. The version from 1980 had a new optical and mount design. The Leica Wiki says it has 11 blades: https://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-wiki.en/index.php/90mm_f/2_Summicron-M_III

4 minutes ago, UliWer said:

I am sure, the 90mm Summicron-M from 1980 does not have 15 blades. The version from 1960  and earlier had 15, the next version from 1963 had only 12. The version from 1980 had a new optical and mount design. The Leica Wiki says it has 11 blades: https://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-wiki.en/index.php/90mm_f/2_Summicron-M_III

Ah, ok......, I haven't read right...... Can you help me for my quesiton, my future choice, please?

Edited by Shepherdphotographer

1 hour ago, UliWer said:

i have the 12 blade silver Canadian  version..delicious bokeh

here on Fuji GFX50R + https://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-wiki.en/index.php/Summicron_(II)_f%3D_9_cm_1:2

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

On 11/4/2021 at 12:44 PM, Shepherdphotographer said:

The blur should be even more beautiful, soft, considering the 15 blades, against the 8, right?

The number of aperture blades has no visible impact on the bokeh, except for the shape of the OOF highlights (AKA "bokeh balls"). 

31 minutes ago, Shepherdphotographer said:

Are you sure, excuse me? I thought for both .....

I think the bokeh quality (softness of the background blur) depends more on how well spherical aberrations are corrected, but I'm sure someone else can explain it better than me.

Edited by evikne

Therefore, isn't it true that if the number of blades increases, the softness of the blur also increases, in your opinion?  In any case, someone with direct experience using both Summicron-R 90/2 and Summicron-M 90/2 would be kind enough to express his impressions of which of the two produces a softer blur?  Thanks!

Edited by Shepherdphotographer